Running Newbie

Options
I want to start running. My mother was a cross country athlete, I know I can do it. I run out of breath incredibly quickly. Is this something that will go away? Is there something I can do to build my endurance? Also cold weather is giving me another problem. The fridgid air hurts my throat SO BAD! Do I just need to get over it or is there some trick I don't know about?

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    A treadmill.:bigsmile:
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A treadmill.:bigsmile:

lol, beat me to the punch.

seriously though its either that or slow down out side and let your body get use to the cold air
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PursuingPerfect
    PursuingPerfect Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lol, clever:-P
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am a running newbie too. I started off walking - walking at a rapid pace every day until I felt comfortable with that. Then after a few weeks I started running down hills and walking up hills. Then I startedrunning downhills and flat bits and walking up hills. Now I can run about 90% of the time I am running with only a few walking bits in between (mainly where it is steep or uneven). Its taken me about 6 weeks, but if I had started trying to run fully from day 1 I would have given up in frustration I think.

I think the C25K (couch to 5 k) running plan can be downloaded to your ipod and lots of people swear by it - I have preferred to do my own thing- but I hear its very good.

I am not into treadmills- boring to me- but it is a way of getting around the weather!
    Hope that helps, I am no expert!!
  • joepoke
    joepoke Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting started look at doing the c25k program
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you're gasping for breath, you are probably running too hard -- go slower. I don't know if you've heard of the Couch-to-5K program (you can google it) but you may want to give it a go -- I know many people that have achieved success with it.

As to the cold, well, you get used to it. You can always go on a treadmill (or dreadmill as I call it), but I've always found running outside -- whatever the weather -- to be infinitely preferable to indoor running (and I've been running since I was 14).
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last week of c25k and it totally works! I went from not being able to run 4 minutes at a time to running 3 miles today (about 35 mins) nonstop :) Including big hills! Also a good trick I learned is slow down, sometimes if I'm getting really winded or going up a huge hill I'll jog really slowly to let my body catch up but I don't stop running! :) Good luck
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    First, slow down. Your mom was a cross-country runner - that doesn't mean you are. Running is a skill that you have to practice. You shouldn't be winded; in fact, you should be able to have a conversation while running. Go as fast as you can and still be able to speak clearly, but no faster. If that means you're shuffling along at 4 mph, so be it; speed will come with time.

As for the cold, there's not much you can do. Breathing in through your nose warms the air a little before it hits your lungs, but that's about it. If you don't wear glasses or are comfortable running without them, you can try a balaclava or ski mask to cover your nose and mouth and further warm the air before it reaches your lungs and throat. Otherwise, it's time to acquire access to a treadmill until the weather warms up. Personally, I hate running in the cold - I feel bulky wearing 2-3 layers, it's hard to carry water with gloves on, and, like you've noticed, breathing cold air is uncomfortable at best. I'm glad I live in a place that doesn't get very cold - I spent the holidays up north with family and gave up trying to go for my run before Christmas because it was too damn cold, even at the warmest part of the day.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    www.sahalie.com
    They have buffs that you can put around your mouth. You just need something to put in front of your mouth so that cold air is not gong directly into your lungs. Athletic stores or biking stores will also have them. According to other runners your lungs will gradually get stronger. There is a condition known as cold weather asthma. While you might have not had any issues in the past, things can change. They can change for the better as well...so give up :-). The better you get at breathing through your nose the less it should bother you.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i have never run in my life..i started couch to 10k in november..i started out slow..thought i was going to pass out after 6 seconds...i ran my first race saturday.."the iceman 2 miler" in 10 degree weather...i did ok...i also ran 3.49 to my brothers house...and two days ago ran 4.42 miles...the c210k and couch to 5 k programs are designed to help you build your endurance..so now I AM A RUNNER..just signed up for a 5k in feb..and i am doing a 10k in march...i HIGHLY recommend the c25k and c210k programs...friend me if you want to follow my progress...I LOVE RUNNING!! and as for the cold weather..i prefer it now...but i did get a membership at the local university to run their inside track..only 5 bucks a month!