starving after breakfast

Options
I wake up hungry at 6am every day, and I always have a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 2 tbps. almonds, 1 banana, and 1 cup 1% milk. That's 500 calories, yet I am always hungry by 9:30. Even if I eat a morning snack I am starving and eat lunch by 11. This is crazy, it seems like no matter how much I eat I am still ravenous all day. I don't want to keep adding more calories, because while I'm not actively losing weight, I don't want to gain any more!!!!!!!!

Replies

• tropicalhotdognight
    Options
    Two things that have worked really well for me are having a very protein-heavy breakfast and drinking two glasses of water right after I eat. (I'm sure the latter is psychological, but it works for me!) I don't know why, but even protein-rich breakfast cereals just don't stick with me-- same goes for sugary fruits like bananas.

A couple of breakfasts I love that keep me a bit more full are a big bowl of sauteed spinach or collard greens (I make a huge bunch every few days with a single slice of bacon, half an onion, and a splash of raw apple cider vinegar. In the AM I just reheat a cup or so-- which amounts to about 1/4 of a slice of bacon and a lot of high-density, low-cal nourishment) topped with two eggs, or a bowl of steel-cut oats (you can soak them overnight so they cook a little faster in the AM) with a shmear of almond butter and a handful of berries. Both of these should keep you under 500 calories.

Another option might be to change up the order in which you eat your meals. Some mornings I just heat up leftovers from dinner the night before and eat dinner for breakfast, and then eat a more breakfast-y meal at lunchtime. I fully acknowledge that some people might find that totally gross! You could also try spreading your breakfast out a bit over the course of the morning-- maybe eating your protein-rich almonds first thing when you wake up, drinking some water (or coffee!), and then eating your cereal right before you leave for work and your banana once you've actually arrived at work.

Sorry for the novel! I clearly take breakfast very seriously! :wink:
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you have been having these symptoms for a while, I suggest informing your doctor and asking for a glucose tolerance test. You might have the beginnings of insulin resistance.

A suggest for breakfast. Try creating a ratio of 1.5:1 or 1:1 (carb:protein). I find this works for me.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    You make it to 930!? I'm jealous :smile: I've pretty much just accepted that I'm more of a morning eater. I prefer to have eggs and veggies for breakfast, seems to keep me full longer, and a piece of fruit if I'm really hungry. I always plan two morning snacks as well, I can usually make it through to noon that way. I also do the two glasses of water after I eat breakfast, they say dehydration makes you feel hungry and you usually wake up somewhat dehydrated so I figure it can't hurt!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'd second trying something different for breakfast and see if that helps. Even with the nuts, the combo of cereal, milk and banana is quite a bit of sugar. I'm always more satisfied with higher protein and fat than carbs, especially in the morning. Scrambled eggs with veggies and a couple ounce of meat comes in easily under 500 calories and keeps me full for 4 to 5 hours.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Two things that have worked really well for me are having a very protein-heavy breakfast and drinking two glasses of water right after I eat. (I'm sure the latter is psychological, but it works for me!) I don't know why, but even protein-rich breakfast cereals just don't stick with me-- same goes for sugary fruits like bananas.

Same here! If I eat oatmeal cereal for breakfast, I will be starving a half hour later. I eat 2 eggs with a piece of toast and a banana every morning and I won't be hungry for 3-4 hrs. And drink plenty of water:happy:
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you're like me and can't stomach protein in the morning then I woud eat foods higher in fat. That will keep you full longer.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I was always hungry an hour later if I ate cereal for breakfast. I go with something more filling like oatmeal and a protein shake. My breakfast comes out to be about 250 calories and fills me up until my mid morning snack.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Less carbs, more protein (and possibly fiber).
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Less carbs, more protein (and possibly fiber).
    Agreed and if you want to stay light on carbs and fat just eat the whites of the hard boiled eggs, Drink lots of warm H20. Typically I always get hungry after breakfast because our metabo is in motion.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 small meals a day, which means two breakfasts (woohoo!) Breakfast 1 is at 6:00ish-natures path smart bran cereal (52% of your fiber for the day & only 80 calories) with light plain soymilk & strawberries and fage greek yogurt with a little stevia & some pb2. Breakfast 2 I eat at work at about 9:00ish-egg white muffins & a homemade pumpkin protein bar (i posted the recipe in the recipes section tonight). Protein & fiber galore!
  • bobcar1001
    Options
    Two eggs one peace of bacon and 1 peace of wheat toast works best for me its like a perfect breakfast
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cereal makes me SO hungry. Hungrier than if I hadn't eaten anything at all. Try swapping your cold cereal with oatmeal, and stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter. Add your chopped banana and you'll probably have a much more satisfying breakfast.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you're like me and can't stomach protein in the morning then I woud eat foods higher in fat. That will keep you full longer.

I agree with this. Perhaps try an omelette, or maybe some fruit in full-fat Greek yoghurt.

Alternatively, try skipping breakfast. Might find you're not all that hungry until after you eat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When I eat cold cereal I am starving shortly after. Experiment with some alternative foods to see if they help you feel full longer.