Best protein powder?

Options
I've searched on here for a while about different opinions on protein powder suggestions. I'm not getting nearly enough protein in my diet so I'm considering adding a protein shake in there somewhere. Is this a good idea?

What brands have you all had success with or would you suggest (that taste good :) )? And also- what TYPE of protein powder do you suggest? It seems like there are so many different ones out there! Some are meal replacements, some are to be used after a workout. Some are only whey protein, some are a combination. It's mind boggling! What do you look for in a protein powder? Also, I can't do artificial sweeteners. Gives me SUCH a bad headache.

And- where can I find them??

I'm currently doing P90X and my goal is to lose some fat and build some lean muscle. =) Not much weight to lose but the fat is stored in all the wrong places!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I use GNC's Pro Performace Whey Protein powder in the vanilla flavor. I don't know if it uses artifical sweetners, but I really like it. And lately, I have been have 1 scoop in 8 oz of water everyday for my afternoon snack. It has 20g of protein and only 4g of carbs.
  • LOVESFITNESS
    Options
    You should try the Atkins protein shakes, they come in a bunch of different flavors and are delish. Theres only 150 calories in them and some types have up to 22g of protein. Hope this helps.
  • manderpander22
    Options
    I love the Atkins shakes...not sure if they come in powder or just premade. They come in some very yummy flavors. I like to have Mocha Latte in the AM and Dark Chocolate Royale in the afternoon.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    High quality for your buck can be found at trueprotein.com

I also like Optimum Nutrition.

These are the only I recommend to my clients.

You asked if it's a good idea? Sure. It's not magical, but it's a fine way of meeting your protein requirements if you're having trouble doing so by way of whole natural foods.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    I used Optimum Nutrition brand WHEY protein for right after workouts (since your body will process whey proteins quickly--within an hour or two), and CASSEIN protein for meal replacement and/or late night protein (the body takes 7-8 hours to process this protein.

Both WHEY and CASSEIN are derived from milk. There are so many flavors of both that I can't list them, but I've had more success with taste of the vanilla flavors. I get mine at a local store, but you can usually find a good deal on bodybuilders.com or other websites (but you have to pay for shipping of course!)

There are also EGG and EGG WHITE proteins which are rated just slightly below the WHEY and CASSEIN, the egg has fat and cholesterol, while the eggwhite has neither. SOY protein has some nasty associations according to many studies (I personally will avoid soy but some others on these boards may support it--I would do your own research on SOY and decide for yourself if this is what you want).

Hope this helps.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and the 100% Casein powders. Their lists of ingredients are much shorter than some of the other kinds out there, they mix pretty easily and they taste really good (disclaimer: I've only tried the chocolate).

As has already been said, they aren't magic, but a good way to get in protein. Frankly, I freakin' LOVE being able to get protein that tastes like chocolate. A protein shake sounds much more exciting to me than fish, chicken and eggs most days but I do try to concentrate on whole foods when I can. A protein shake can be a convenient, no-cooking-required solution.

I've had good luck buying on Amazon.com and frequently find deals with free shipping. In fact, I should have some waiting for me when I get home!
  • beatle0421
    beatle0421 Posts: 2
    Options
    My trainer felt like I was not getting enough protein sometimes. So, he had me add a whey protein to meals. He will not ever let me use it as a meal replacement. For example, I like to eat cereal in the mornings, so, he would have me add 1/2 scoop to my milk. Also, when looking for one, make sure there is not a lot of sugar in it.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    EAS Whey Protein (vanilla) is yummy! It is about the only one that i have tried that I liked, but I am picky! I use it to supplement my meals also, not replace meals.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm trying Jillian Michael's natural whey protein powder. It's $10 for 14 oz at Walmart. I like that it's sweetened with Stevia, rather than artificial sweeteners. It comes in vanilla and chocolate, and I plan to mix it with almond milk (and maybe some yogurt) to make a breakfast smoothie.
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife Protein powder... it comes in at least 5 different flavors- Vanilla, French Vanilla, Dutch Chocolate, Cookies and Cream, and Fruit Blend.... those are the ones I know of
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I also use the Jillian Michaels Triple Chocolate Whey. I mix it with the vanilla Silk Almond Milk and it is very tasty. It isn't as high in protein as some of the others but I think it is enough for me. It has 15 g in a scoop.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I tried hemp protein powder and it was TERRIBLE. It turned my smoothie green, it was terribly gritty, it tasted like I was eating a tree. Ugh... I'm taking it back to Trader Joe's at some point in the next day or two. I think I'll try the Whey protein powder that they had instead. I just wanted something to add to smoothies, but the hemp was nastyyyyyy.
  • imfree27
    imfree27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like BSN Dessert Protein Poweders...all flavors are sooooo gooood....Right now I have the Carmel Latte...I would warm some almond milk and mix it..and pretend i'm at starbucks....i love it...
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, from time to time I'll use syntrax roadside lemonade. That stuff is tasty!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have been using Nature's Best Isopure in Dutch Chocolate (25 grams of protein per scoop) it does however have artifical sweeteners (sucralose aka splenda)...so once I finish this off I'm probably switching the Vega (I can finally afford it, it's a vegan protein powder)