How much is too much?? CARDIO!

2»

Replies

• dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Keep doing weights.

Controlling your calories.

Getting enough protein / hitting your macros right.

Sleep

Hydration

EASY cardio. Hard cardio burns glycogen rather than fat, and once glycogen stores get low you run more risk of muscle catabolization.

Keeping it easy will burn a higher % of fat, leaving your muscles with the glycogen they need to be maintained. Taking in appropriate carbs and protein after a workout, and protein throughout the day will do a lot to help stave off any muscle losses.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I'm confused and a bit discouraged.I'm almost at goal and really want to concentrate on building muscle this year.I'm TERRIFIED of having to give up cardio to have to do that.Afraid I'll blow up like a balloon.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    No! You can keep doing your cardio! My guess is that you might want to eat more protein (greek yogurt is good for that) and maybe increase your strength training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm confused and a bit discouraged.I'm almost at goal and really want to concentrate on building muscle this year.I'm TERRIFIED of having to give up cardio to have to do that.Afraid I'll blow up like a balloon.

You can keep doing cardio...just don't kill yourself with it...don't make it your focus. Building lean body mass will serve you better overall...cardio only burns while you are doing the exercise and a very short time thereafter...lean body mass keeps burning calories long after you've completed your workout.

Just eat to maintenance TDEE while you lift and you will continue to burn fat while adding a some muscle (thus tone) and improving your BF%. If you want to get big you'll have to eat a surplus and then cut it.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Thank you both for the advice!
  • RippedRunner
    RippedRunner Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you dfquigley! Great website! I can spend much time just reading through it all!
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Thank you dfquigley! Great website! I can spend much time just reading through it all!

No problem!! Scooby is FANTASTIC, and has a ton of videos too!!