Weight Loss Plateau?

Options
Hello all,

I started using myfitnesspal three weeks ago and have now me begun my fourth week. I started at a weight of 298 and am now down to 289. I weighed in a week ago and was down to 290.5 after approximately two and half weeks. Now a week later I am only down an additional pound and a half at 289. I know you can't demand results and set the bar too high, but I am curious as to why I am only down a pound and a half in one week when I was losing so well at first. My main focus is the dieting part, I have never once exceeded my daily calories. It started by telling me to eat 2180 calories today and now is telling me 2130 calories a day. I have been exercising, but not very intensely. I work a very very unusual schedule, therefore most of my exercising has been running and light jogging, approximately 2 miles each time, and about 3 days a week. I burn roughly 300 calories everytime I exercise. Am I doing anything wrong? I'm not just stuck at this 290 area now am I? I have had made MAJOR changes in my eating habits all thanks to myfitnesspal, so I feel like I should be seeing better results. Any advice/tips/encouragement will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    FIrst off, it's not a plateau... a plateau is when you dont' lose for weeks at a time.

Secondly, how is 1.5lbs not a good loss? You lose quickly at first however it is mainly water weight and you won't lose that much week after week. You also do not want to lose fast. SLower is better.

There will be times you will lose, times you will stay the same and times where you will gain. Keep going and you will eventually get to goal.
  • BAH84
    BAH84 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you.... Do you think I am eating the proper amount of calories? Also I have another question. There are many days when I end up after dinner with a total calories of around 17-1900 for the day, some days it's 1600... and I am full. I have no desire to eat anymore, therefore I finish the day with a 300-500 calorie deficit. I then sometimes have held on to those calories and kept them in reserve for the weekend when I may need a few extras for parties, going out to eat, etc (although after 3 weeks I have never went over one day and have never used the excess calories). Is thist ok?
  • BAH84
    Options
    Anyone else have any advice?
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You sound almost exactly like me. I lost really quick when I first started to. But the stalled about 3 or 4 weeks in. I started walking on the treadmill more, and actually upped my calories, since I found out I was eating under my BMR. It might just be time to switch things up for a bit. :)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough, I am 5'4" weigh 145 and eat around 1500 calories. Calculate your BMR and ensure you are eating above that.
  • BAH84
    Options
    The BMR calculator on myfitnesspal tells me that it's 2319. I have all my information correctly entered in the app, and it tells me to eat 2130/day?
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you listen to alot of people on here. You should actually never eat below you BMR. Try this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It should give you your BMR, your TDEE, and 20% under your TDEE which is where you should be eating. And if you cut short a day or two, to be able to splurge on the weekend, that's on ok thing. :)
  • BAH84
    Options
    I'm really confused now, because do I eat the BMR or eat what MFP tells me? Most days I only end up eating around 1800-1900, but truly I'm full and don't want to eat anymore. After 3 weeks I feel like my eating habits have just adjusted to less food. I know that I may sound uneducated, but I really just don't know much about fitness, dieting, etc. I need some help here please. I really want to get down to 250. I am 28 years old and am 6' tall.