The Biggest Loser!!

Options
Morning guys!Hope you are all well!

I was sat watching the American Version of The Biggest Loser (I live in the UK) last night with my mum. I like the American version of the show better than the UK version, purely because of the drama lol. Anyways my mum (who hates this programme and hardly ever watches it, unless she's forced to by me) asked why they were fighting and getting angry with each other during the weigh in, "isnt it about the weight lost rather than being a game"

I was just wndering what people's thoughts were on this topic, do you find it motivating to watch, or do you think it all fake and the people create drama to make good tv? Do you think the bulk of the people that go on there actually want to lose weight or do they want 250K?, personally i like to think they generally want to loose weight, perhaps i am naive.

It's a really open question but i was just ondering people's thoughts, both British and American.

Ruth x

Replies

• Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love the show.
    Patrick said he is in it for weightloss and he needed to win the money as he had recently been unemployed. I also think people basically go to lose weight but the 250k is a welcome bonus.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    I LOVE The Biggest Loser!!! I do find it motivating and I'm so amazed at what those people accomplish. We are going to do the "deck of cards" Bob just did on the show during lunch breaks at work. I'm looking forward to it!
  • ChangeFor2013
    Options
    I would only want the weight loss and healthy eating habits.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    A lot of the people on past shows go on to be motivational speakers or trainers themselves, something that was probably not possible without the show.

In the beginning I am sure it was for the help with weight loss and as the show has changed I would hope that is still the main goal, but I have a feeling that the prize and potential to branch into other careers based on the television exposure play a big role as well. I think 2 or 3 contestants this year have already said that they want to become personal trainers.

Not saying anything is wrong with that - just that it might be another motivation for getting on the show.
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love the show. We are doing our own version of it at work to keeps us all motivated and accountable each week when we weigh in. It has really helped many of us lose weight.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I watch the show only for the trainers 9what they say and what they have the contestants do. i don't follow the contestenst personel drama. I already watch a soap opera I don't need another one, The contestenst , maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago got on my nerves so bad (cry babies) thats when I just fast forward to when the trainers talk.