Any Equestrians?

Options
Hi,

I used to ride horses all of the time when I was younger, but stopped due to school, life, etc. I'm starting lessons again soon, and then it hit me that maybe there were others! Just wanted to see who all the equestrians were in the community :)

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I ride. I compete in Jumpers. Couple pics for fun
    397722680.jpg

396917702.jpg
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I adore horses and riding. When we lived in Texas, I had 2 quarter horses. I had to sell them when we moved to Delaware and I don't have enough land to keep them here. I do have a good friend that has horses and she and I ride now and then.

I grew up riding as my grandparents had a large farm, so horses are in my blood kin of like flying.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Mystic I'm jealous. I want a gray dapple so badly
  • Susiq2222
    Susiq2222 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there, own a 16 year old paint mare, Miss Jazzi who was trained for western pleasure. I am into natural horsemanship and follow Buck Branaman, but usually ride English. Unfortunately I don't get to ride everyday, especially now as our winters are very cold.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My daughter rides Engish...trott on!!
  • country88girl
    country88girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have always had horses and always will. I got a new one this summer I am going train to be my barrel horse =) & I work in a quarter horse racing ranch. Horses are good to love and a good workout when riding =)
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Former. I used to ride hunter/jumpers, and I worked in Kentucky on a horse farm doing sales prep on yearlings for a while. Got out of horses and miss them terribly. They are one of my main motivations to losing weight, I want to ride again.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I rode as a child and am thinking of starting up again this spring.
  • Maelay
    Maelay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your horse is gorgeous!!!! I'm a little nervous about riding again, it's been so long!
  • country88girl
    country88girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Riding horses is line riding a bike. Something you don't forget and it comes back very quickly!
  • shanse21
    Options
    I used to work as a stable manager and ride professionally. My background was in eventing, but I got pulled into dressage... spent winters in Florida, went on business trips to Europe, the whole bit! Unfortunately, I got completely burnt out on the industry as a whole and left it last spring. Part of me misses the horses, but I really don't miss all the drama that horse people carry around. :wink: I still ride a little here and there for extra cash, but am now enjoying actually having weekends and free time!

You'll be fine starting back up. It may take a little while to get your legs and balance back, but it'll come quickly!
  • foxggren
    foxggren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here's me lookin goofy

2.jpg
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!

Just so you know there is a MFP group, in Community called MFP Horse Enthusiasts. Tell us about your horse or the horse you used to have! Or start a new discussion...Riding Again after so many years! I had to stop at 15 but leased in my 40's a tiny bit. hen 1996, found a little job working in exchange riding two very fancy warmbloods...one of those farms with 10 great horses, some former Olympic level, but no one is riding!! One year there and I got my own. Sooooo glad to get back in the saddle!

All of my friends here are horse people...on MFP.

I was a show kid growing up in Pa. Now I love clicker training, dressage as physical therapy, teaching owners to trim their horses. I just began a bodywork course with Jim Masterson. I am totally curious about training, gentle and positive. No goals in other words.

well not usually. I did insist Sun learn how to get on a stock trailer as 5000 acres of fab riding is 10 minutes away! it took a while. this past fall we did 3 paper chases! Yahoo

I have a 13 year old OTTB who was rescued in 2004! BFF! I live in Delaware and he lives 5 min away at Tory Hill Farm, Pa.

Dawn, the eternal barn flye!
  • xXMollySarusXx
    Options
    YES! AMEN!! I've been riding for quite a few years (sporadically, due to lack of money for lessons or owning a horse). I've ridden Western pleasure/trail a lot, and I've had a few hours in the english hunter/jumper saddle. Now I ride my pal's gaited Paso Finos--they're a bit small for me, but they have an AMAZING gait! I have back and neck problems, so gaited horses are pretty much the only ones I can ride now, but hopefully that will change, because I want to do eventing <3 I'll post some pics on my profile of me riding if anyone replies this (:
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Former. I used to ride hunter/jumpers, and I worked in Kentucky on a horse farm doing sales prep on yearlings for a while. Got out of horses and miss them terribly. They are one of my main motivations to losing weight, I want to ride again.

Like you horses were my life for many years...about 30 in fact! We bred English Show Ponies and Race Thoroughbreds. I had 2 beautiful Stallions we bred..life was pretty idyllic. Then life got in the way and now I have no opportunity to be with them. I miss them terribly and would love to ride again before I'm too old..and doing so is actually on 'my list' of things to do before 'I die'! However I need to lose at least another 30lbs before I can!! Got to make this happen.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm currently part-loaning a horse whose owner doesn't ride - she just bought him as a status symbol, so he's a little green...

Quit riding my friend's young hunters in October after a bad fall. It seemed like a good time to quit - I was tired of riding youngsters (some as young as 3!) and of his training methods, which, let's just say, didn't win any awards for horsemanship.

I was also on my university equestrian team last year, but I'm just not competetive enough to enjoy that. I'd rather just ride.
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do hunter jumpers, eventing, and dressage. and Mystic, your horse is fantastic! so is your equitation!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I grew up riding and competed all through college (Dressage). Then I got too fat to ride. I haven't been on a horse in about 12 years. I can't wait until I lose another 40-50 lbs and find a barn.
  • Sheacat
    Options
    I have had horses my whole life up until about 4 years ago. :( I had a baby, got married and moved to Canada. Now, 2 babies later, I live in a small city in Ontario and am horseless. It is killing me, lol. I want to get back to a healthy weight and start back up. I was an endurance rider.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Why is it, that after months of being on this site, I automatically associate anything ending in -ian with eating? I opened this, fully expecting someone to have an insanely expensive diet of horse up for discussion.