Indian Food

Options
I'm going to an Indian restaurant tomorrow night with some friends. Does anyone have any suggestion of what low calorie/low fat dishes to go for? Is it best to avoid the rice all together?

Thank you! x

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Go for chicken, and tomato based dishes. Nothing with coconut milk....
  • SSinclair
    SSinclair Posts: 1
    Options
    I think the tandoori dishes are not bad as the sauce is separate (and tomato based) and the dish comes with a salad, so you can eat less rice. They are a little bit more expensive than the norm, but worth it - very tasty.
  • maz81
    maz81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    the best foods to go for are the starters and order 2 so u can have 1 as ur main course cos more likely the currys will have loadsa fat and nasty extras u dont really need.
    the ones to go for are nearly all dry 'tandoor' [indian oven] cooked food cos this is indian grilling no fat used so great and healthy.

Seekh kebabs [or sometimes called shish kebabs] are great cos theyre cooked on skewers in the oven
    Chicken tikka again skewered and cooked in the tandoor
    order both of them they normally come with salad and have 1 as ur starter and 1 as ur main so u wont feel as though ur missing out on a course.

if u really just need to have a curry ask them which currys are dry ie. not drowning in sauce cos the sauce will have loadsa oil n fat in it whereas a dry based curry wont be swimming in grease.

with the indian breads try n avoid the nan cos its got loadsa calories in it its best to ask for a tandoori roti or chapatti and ask them not to butter it. this option tastes great and is more healthy as has no fat and nowhere near as many cals.

hope this helps u i always follow the above cos i love indian food and well eating out like this hasnt hindered my loss so far but that dont mean i eat out like this everyday [lol if only hey!!!]

921545.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    As delicious as the Naan bread is try not to eat that.. You should also be safe with lentils. Good Luck!
  • bulletkid
    bulletkid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go for Tandoori dishes...
  • cherylcole15
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for your help! Very useful information.

Best of all I'm really going to enjoy my night out as a real treat =)

Thanks again x