American Diet

Options
Some of you may find this interesting. My girlfriend, who had never lived in the USA before, took a seasonal job for 3 months in California. She weighed 108 lbs when she started and gained a total of 20 lbs in the 3 months if you can believe that. I'm sure that some of it was water weight from huge amounts of sodium, however this should give you an idea of how we as Americans typically eat. It is hard to break those cultural behaviors that are ingrained in us.

ps. She quickly lost it when she returned home.

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Its crazy. They did this study on portion sizes in America vrs portion sizes back in Jesus times and the portion sizes are I think 3 times higher!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Americans also tend to rely too much on our cars, so we don't walk as much as people do in other countries. I don't know where she's from, but that could have been a contributing factor as well.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    and just think, she visted one of the healthies states ;).
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where "home" is?
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    wow that's crazy
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Canada is catching up....
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think it would have been very difficult for her because lots of foods in America are processed in a very different way to other countries. For example, Australia and the UK have quite tight legislation preventing things like margarine high in trans fats and foods high in corn syrup from ever being mass produced. So as a visitor, you wouldn't necessarily be able to rely on your core nutrition knowledge.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Sure. Home is Peru and she didn't have a car in either the USA or in Peru though she did walk more back home, it was mostly the crap that she ate.
  • sblim
    Options
    There was no core nutrition knowledge. She just was eating like everyone else. :)

It is just a fascinating subject to live in other parts of the world and to see the differences especially when it comes to food consumption, weight, exercise, etc.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 I visited my family in Germany. I ate like crap: chocolate, candy, bread, potatoes, beer, etc. However, I lost weight. I think it was because I had to talk into town all the time.

Conversely, I went to Hong Kong when I was 19 and I gained weight. I still splurged on foods, but that time I used public transportation to go anywhere.

So, perhaps she used buses/metros/co-workers instead of walking around. Don't get me wrong, our diet isn't the best, but you can't blame it exclusively on her eating American foods. There's a lot that goes into what causes weight gain/losses in travel.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options
    There was no core nutrition knowledge. She just was eating like everyone else. :)

It is just a fascinating subject to live in other parts of the world and to see the differences especially when it comes to food consumption, weight, exercise, etc.

I just wanted to point out that this is a very broad and general statement. I live in CA (state mentioned) I and many, many, of my friends are very health conscious. I buy local organic produce, don't eat red meat or pork, I don't eat fast food, and not only strive to live a healthy active lifestyle, but I teach my kids this as well. Obesity is growing epidemic, but if people take it upon themselves to be responsible for their own health, nd to educate themselves on what they are putting in their mouths it wouldn't be an issue. While yes I agree that there is fast food place on every corner in America, there is also a grocery store, and farmers market near by as well.
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your girlfriend's experience is similar to what Mireille Guiliano, author "French Women Don't Get Fat."

When she came to the United States from France, as a high-school exchange student, she gained so much weight that
    when she returned home, her father said she looked like a sack of potatoes. Feeling ashamed, her mother
    told her to just go back to the way of eating that she was raised with, which of course is the French way of eating
    She did so and lost her weight.

Anyway, I've seen her on TV and her main message is that the portions Americans eat are not only too large, they're
    loaded with sugar and salt.

Jim
  • sblim
    Options
    Everyone, I wasn't putting down California or anyone in particular, however you should take note that the USA has the highest obesity rate in the world. There are several reasons for it, but what we eat is a huge component of this (as well as exercise). I'm not trying to argue, but who hasn't gone to a restaurant and *expected* a huge portion and then ate all of it with dessert afterwards.

Most of my girlfriend's experience was from nutrition and not anything else. She worked on her feet and was constantly moving when in California and she took public transportation in both places.

Most on MFP are very aware and understand nutrition and exercise, but for most people outside this bubble it doesn't even register.
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had a similar (yet opposite) experience when I went to Paris last summer. I was sure that I was going to gain weight after 2 weeks of crepes and cheese, but instead I ended up losing weight. I am sure much of this is attributed to the fact that we walked pretty much everywhere, but you cannot help to notice that the portion sizes were far smaller than they are here in the U.S. and there weren't fast food joints, mini-malls and fattening chain restaurants on every corner. I do agree with other posters about the fact that there are choices. You can choose to eat healthy or you can choose to eat at the fast food restaurant . I think unfortunately, in the U.S., most people go the "fast" route. I used to eat nothing but fast food and i was about 50 pounds heavier and 7 sizes bigger than I am now. It wasn't until I found out that I had a digestive disease, which was brought on by my horrible eating habits, that I adopted a healthier lifestyle. Too many people don't consider the impact of their diet on their health until it is too late.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options
    Everyone, I wasn't putting down California or anyone in particular, however you should take note that the USA has the highest obesity rate in the world. There are several reasons for it, but what we eat is a huge component of this (as well as exercise). I'm not trying to argue, but who hasn't gone to a restaurant and *expected* a huge portion and then ate all of it with dessert afterwards.

Most of my girlfriend's experience was from nutrition and not anything else. She worked on her feet and was constantly moving when in California and she took public transportation in both places.

Most on MFP are very aware and understand nutrition and exercise, but for most people outside this bubble it doesn't even register.

I didn't take it that way ;) and I agree. It makes me sad to see the amount of obese moms and children at the park/ on the street ect (sad because it's from a lack of knowledge). I just felt that was a generalized statement, when there are many many Americans who DO know, and understand nutrition. My point is that even with the onslot of fatty, processed, refined sugary foods, on every corner it's still possible to make informed healthy choices. And that is what it comes down to, making an informed choice.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, even out of the country I eat a lot more than I do when I'm at home. I have to remind myself to stick to my plan. That could have been part of it..she could have had the "vacation" mindset.

But I do agree.... The U.S. needs to rethink food proportions and the garbage food they sell in the stores and at restaurants.
  • gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My wife is American, although we are settled in the UK now, but before we did divide our time between Scotland and CA. I have to say, and these are just my personal observations:

portion sizes are obscene. I know you take "doggy bags" home, but really...

The cost of healthy eating is far far more than the cost of eating fast food, over here we have a smaller gap (only because fast food is more expensive) 49c tacos anyone.

There seems to be a culture of dining out often, again not something that we have here.

Now Scotland has high obesity rates as well, and we are the heart attack capital of Europe, but as one American said to me recently. Where the **** do you keep all your fat people.
  • sblim
    Options
    Dizzieferg - I totally agree with regards to personal responsibility. In fact that's why so many great people have had success here from taking responsibility for themselves. Anyways, if my girlfriend was educated in nutrition like she is now and didn't just go with the flow, it would have been different. She just did what everyone else was doing and got really big. It is actually pretty funny to hear her family and friends talk about how they didn't even recongize her coming off the plane. Anyhow, I probably didn't communicate as well as I could have, but my point was a *typical* person's diet in the USA is pretty bad.

gmclachi - good point. I wonder how much blame should be givem for the consumption of fast food (I'm not blaming the companies, but the bad choices people make). In Peru, the cost of McDonalds & Burger king is actually quite high. I can actually go to a Peruvian restaurant for $3 and get a 3 course meal for lunch where at McDonalds a burger, fries, and a drink is double.

Portion sizes are obscene, but sadly it is what people expect.

Thanks everyone for responding.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I had a similar (yet opposite) experience when I went to Paris last summer. I was sure that I was going to gain weight after 2 weeks of crepes and cheese, but instead I ended up losing weight. I am sure much of this is attributed to the fact that we walked pretty much everywhere, but you cannot help to notice that the portion sizes were far smaller than they are here in the U.S. and there weren't fast food joints, mini-malls and fattening chain restaurants on every corner. I do agree with other posters about the fact that there are choices. You can choose to eat healthy or you can choose to eat at the fast food restaurant . I think unfortunately, in the U.S., most people go the "fast" route. I used to eat nothing but fast food and i was about 50 pounds heavier and 7 sizes bigger than I am now. It wasn't until I found out that I had a digestive disease, which was brought on by my horrible eating habits, that I adopted a healthier lifestyle. Too many people don't consider the impact of their diet on their health until it is too late.

Ahh yes, the famous "French Paradox" - it's a combination of walking, far less processed food, and smaller portions.
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I was in Lourdes France, back in 1998, my wife and myself went into a MacDonald's to use the rest rooms.

While waiting for my wife, I took a look at the menu. On the left side, they had the usual Mac food. On the right, they
    had French food, which looked real good.

I heard that they only way Mac's make in France was to offer local cuisine along with their usual trade products.

Jim