Help!!! Cronic night time eater!!!

Options
I could use any advice to help!! I always get up at about 3:00 am And raid the fridge. It does not matter how full I am when I go to bed. I don't do this in my sleep, But really feel like I am starving. Any body have any good advice that worked for them?

Replies

• AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have never had that issue but at times want to just prior to going to bed. Are you eating enough at dinner time? Have you just developed a habit? Does going back to sleep work?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of water... or maybe even a glass of milk to give you some more substance. If you cannot go to the fridge to get the milk, I would put a cooler by my bed! Make sure you are eating regularly throughout the day and not depriving yourself. I always have a snack before bed because if I go to bed the slightest bit hungry, I cannot sleep and end up making bad choices...
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use to do that... then I read somewhere that sometimes we feel a hunger feeling when really we are thirsty. So now I keep a glass of something next to the bed like water or water with mio. I also eat a much more balanced diet with more fiber and protien and less fat and carbs. It has really helped to make me feel satisfied.
  • Amy77521
    Amy77521 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree about drinking some water. If that doesn't work, find something that is really filling but low in calories like popcorn. It has a lot of fiber and will keep you full. You can buy some that is really low in calories. There is also some good flavor toppings that are zero calorie.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Have you tried actually logging your food to make sure you eat enough during the day?
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I am a recovering "midnight muncher" too. Glad im not alone. Though I cant offer any full proof method...I will say that lowering my carbs and making sure that I get a lot of protein in my last meal has helped dramatically. I tend to keep some low calorie treats like fiber one brownies and such around so that I dont totally go overboard and eat an entire can of pringles or something. Best of luck and keep us posted if you find something that works REALLY well to break the cycle!
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I sometimes have 2 snacks between midnight and 4am. It has been going on for 3-4 years.
    Lately I noticed that drinking more helps. I used to drink 0 cups of water per day. I have 2-4 cups a day now and still can't manage to drink a few extra ones. I really hate water.
    So, i found something that works. Silk almond milk, 30 calories per cup. It makes me drink some fluids while it feels like I ame eating something and I feel full as well. Sometimes it takes more than a cup, but the caloric intake is minimal and there are plenty of vitamins in it.
  • SuZQz173
    Options
    Beyond the water, prepare yourself portioned foods ahead of time, since you know you'll be eating.

Hopefully the water solves your craving. Or try flavored tea or broth

Have healthy proportioned low-cal foods available. Give yourself options, whether fruit, veggie, crackers, nuts. All portioned.

All the best to you!
  • ihemby
    ihemby Posts: 4
    Options
    I am the same way! 3 am get up for a snack! I have started keeping a bottle of water with lemon or crystal light by my bed and that really helps. Also try keeping a handful of grapes in a baggie beside your bed or some cheerios (handful). I hope that helps!
  • jallison12
    Options
    There was a great program on the cooking channel last night about this. "Food Hospital" i think is the show. The dietician's advice was to eat complex carbs for the evening meal. Wholewheat pasta, vegetables and parm. Your body would take so long to break all that down you would sleep through the night! Guy lost a ton of weight
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    every so often I get very ill feeling at night, but once I eat a cracker or tea cookie it'll go away and I can head back to bed.
    perhaps try that, or if you're watching carbs find an similar sized alternative (few slices of pepperoni, etc.).
    but definitely keep water near by and try that first!
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Drink gallons and gallons of water in place of food. This should help fill you up. If it does not, eat something healthy.

Do not resort to sugars or desserts when you do eat anything from the fridge at 3am.

Eat a 90cal granola bar, half a banana, a small apple, maybe a strip of turkey.

Do not allow yourself to eat anything equivalent to that of a meal. Nothing over 150 calories at three in the morning. Your body is the least active and will take longer for it to burn off this kind of fat.
  • jallison12
    Options
    Here you go:
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/the-food-hospital.html
    The guy on the front page with the check shirt was the night time eater. I hadn't heard of this before. Episode 3
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/the-food-hospital/100/episode-3.html
    Might be on You tube or something??
  • alitap
    alitap Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    stock up your fridge with nothing but fruits and vegetables :)

33017025.png
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Eat something with high protein, low carb before bed. If you wake up, eat something small with protein or fat (like a few slices of pepperoni, a piece of full-fat cheese, a glass of 2% or whole milk) to fill you up, along with a glass of water or your preferred liquid (since you're not wild about water). Carbonated drinks make me feel full too... maybe seltzer?
  • healthyheartRN
    Options
    I don't think it's a food hunger or thirst problem, I think it's a learned behavior and a habit that fills some need that you have. As with most bad habits it's going to take a lot of determination and small steps to overcome but you can do it. It is obviously something you want to overcome because it is bothering you, and you know it is not helping to establish good eating patterns. Saying that, I totally understand, we all have our weaknesses and bad choices but a little at a time our weaknesses can become strengths. Just know your not alone, and you can overcome this. Take care.
  • purplestrawberry411
    Options
    I find myself eating when full too. I think I do it because it is so satisfying. I find it helpful to make a lovely tea (stash licorice spice - sweet and flavourful without any calories or artificial sweeteners) and savor it instead. I also find flossing and brushing my teeth will be a deterent to eating more.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Try setting out a VERY small portion of greek yoghurt and a small glass of water. If you don't feed your body a whole lot of sugar or carbs, you may find yourself able to go right back to sleep and find the need for those Night Time Food Pit Stops less and less necessary but you might still satisfy that urge.
  • pickle_button
    pickle_button Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    nothing helps. food is just far too delicious. It's an addiction! they need to invent a patch for it!!
    something I read struck a cord though, "what you eat in private, will eventually be seen in public". I try to tell myself that :) good luck!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Pre-make yourself a plate or container with foods that are similar to what you normally eat during your raids, but are healthier choices that you consciously make ahead of time and set up for yourself in a specific section in your fridge and/or your pantry.

Basically, let yourself off the hook, plan for the raid (it's going to happen ANYWAY), give yourself permission, and include it into your official food choices. It'll remove the guilty specter from it and give you a sense of control and ownership back. If you're hungry, you're hungry. And? Why punish yourself for that? It's a normal body function. So address it purposefully instead of putting yourself in a tailspin of false guilt/shame. If you want those leftovers from dinner, then have them. You're going to anyway (obviously). So plan for it by pre-making yourself a plate with reasonable portions and treat it like an official meal or snack, and log it ahead of time. Cause those calories DO count. :smile:

Bottom line: Try to top fighting and obsessing. That never works. Accept the raids for what they are, and plan for them. Reconnect yourself with ALL of your choices and own them ALL, no matter what time of day you're making them. Secret guilt and shame is for the birds. Step up, own up, and make peace with yourself instead of adding undue stress to the time of day that is supposed to be your body's and mind's time of rest.

Good luck!