Anyone given up on running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Wait-you can run for a minute already? You're ahead of me when I started. I googled couch to 5k and found a gazillion programs/plans. I started with one where you ran for 30 seconds (which was a stretch for me), then walked for 5 1/2 minutes before running another 30 seconds. That was tough for me-but I made it. I now run 20-25 miles a week and love every step.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    I gave up running twice. Learned from my failures and picked it up again in April this year. In December i completed a Half-Marathon. In 2 weeks i will be doing my second half-marathon.

I wouldn't worry too much what the app says, go at your own pace, push yourself safely and comfortably. Learn from your mistakes and failures and make improvements.

You are capable of running what ever distance you set a goal for. You just have to decide what that goal is and figure out a way to make it happen.
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe try doing a similar machine like an elliptical (and be sure to challenge yourself) to build up your stamina. Then try running again. And do it slowly but surely. You shouldn't expect to run a marathon your first time running. Like anything else, it takes practice. Baby steps.

Personally I don't run because of shin splints, but that's another story...
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dont quit yet! Last spring I started running. I started with the couch to 5k app. It was HARD!!! But within 6 weeks, I was running a full 5 miles (at a slow 5 mph pace, but still) nonstop! It really does get easier, just don't give up. You can do it! :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i could only run 4 of the one minute intervals the first day i started the couch to 5k program. i spent 4 weeks repeating week one. i also spent 4 weeks on week four and 2 weeks on week 6. it took me 16 weeks to complete the 9 week program. i ran the 5k i was training for... and gave up running.

until i realized i missed running and picked it back up a few months later. i am not consistent about running now, but i have trained for and run 6 half marathons. don't give up. keep repeating week one until you have it mastered and then move on to the next week.

there is no shame in walking more. walking is great for your health, and a great way to increase your endurance as a precurser to running. don't give up running because you weren't successful the first time you tried something new. just don't give up, okay?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the couch to 5k. I used to hate running, but thought I'd give it a try a year ago and lost a bunch of weight. Stopped running, got lazy, gained it back, so I'm running again.

The trick is not to run fast. Speed doesn't matter in the beginning. Just move a little quicker than you can walk, and before long you'll get that exhilarating feeling that you can fly through the air.

I love running now.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    When you start running as a beginner, you must check you ego at the door.
    You want to run for a minute? ok... at what speed?
    The slower you run, the longer you will be able to succesfully run.
    You must match your speed to your level of fitness.
    If the program says run for a minute and you run too fast and cant last the minute,
    for the next interval, go slower, till you can last the minute.

Your ego will stop you from being your best self if you don't check it.
  • 2precious4u
    2precious4u Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are not a runner, throwing yourself into it was probably not a good idea. I would start off slow. Do several laps of walking, increase to jogging. In time you will eventually be able to run. What I have been doing is I'll do 1 or two laps walking fast, on the third, pick it up a bit. Do that 2 or three times (walk/jog). If I have enough pep, I may pick two spots and pick up the pace to a run, then slow it back down to a jog. I'm not a superior runner, but I've come a long way. I much prefer to jog, but at least now I can go further distances.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe try changing the runs to 30 seconds and make it like a week "0" . That was going to be my plan when I started, but I found I was able to do the full minute if I just made sure to run at a comfortable pace. On a treadmill that was like 4mph...really slow for a jog but it got me there! Now outside I'm running more comfortably at about 5mph (still slow but an improvement and it just happened naturally). If you start too fast or too much you're just going to psych yourself out of running in general.

Of course, this is only if you want to run. If you want to run and don't have any injuries, medical conditions, etc. that are stopping you..then you CAN do it if you really want it. If you don't really want it then there's nothing wrong with just walking and if you add inclines, and speed intervals to keep it interesting and challenging!
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Definately don't give up! Give yourself time to adjust, and dont even follow the schedule, run 20 seconds and walk 5 mins if you have to! Don't over work yourself! I myself would Love to be able to run a 5K, I started training but my one knee just won't allow me, after a couple weeks I could barely walk on it (Due to health problems with my right knee). I walk long distances though, speeding up and slowing down my pace and incline on the treadmill! Good luck and dont give up after one day, any activity takes a while to master!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    This:
    I've done week one day one of C25K four times now and I still can't complete all the running. I started running only every third time it came up which resulted in a whopping 3 minutes of running...which is 3 minutes more than I have done in as long as I can remember. And the first time I did that I thought I was going to die. Today I managed to do 4 minutes and felt pretty good. Next time I will try to run every other time it comes up and eventually I'll complete W1D1 and move on to day 2. Don't give up!

You never start training where you want to be. You start training where you are. Slow down, walk more, but do what you need to do . It's not going to be as comfortable or easy as sitting on the couch. If it was, it wouldn't be called a WORKout.

You CAN do it. It's a matter of whether you WILL do it.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    when i first started running (in 2010) i could only run for 30 seconds. seriously that is not an exaggeration. since i didn't know c25k programs existed, i made up my own. i would run 30 seconds walk 5 minutes, run 30 seconds walk 5 minutes (for 45 minutes). it took me almost a month to get up to 1 minute runs. i spent months building up my running time. when i got to 5 minutes running i signed up for a race (granted it was an 8k - what was i thinking) and i completed the race in 1:14 and quit running. fast forward to 2011) another friend asked me to run a mud race with her (a 5k) so i agreed. that was last year and i haven't stopped. june will be my first half marathon.

why are you going to let some dumba$$ computer program win? you ARE letting it win because you're quitting. listen to your body not a program. if you can run 30 seconds then do that and congratulate yourself on RUNNING 30 seconds. you can do this!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will take your advice and work at my own pace. I found a few other plans on the app and think that I will start off w the 30:60 or 30:120.