Question about protein...

Options
2»

Replies

• Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is a section from an interview with Mac Danzig, a vegan MMA fighter. Google him.

Curreri: Talk a little more about being a vegan pro athlete and getting enough protein.

Danzig: “I used to always get that, ‘Well what do you eat?’ ‘Where do you get your protein?’ I get that all the time.

The truth of the matter is that protein requirements are blown all out of proportion. We are led to believe that we need huge of amounts of protein for physical activity. People have been saying that for so long. The fact of the matter is, even if I did eat meat I wouldn’t be so focused on my protein intake. I wouldn’t worry that much about it because you get enough protein if you have a balanced diet. But so much of our society is based on what is printed in magazines and publications. All of that knowledge was handed down, literally, by the Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno days … people who looked at bodybuilding as the ultimate way for Joe Schmoe to get in shape and be five percent closer to looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger. And that’s been going on for a long time. It goes hand in hand with this whole fitness mindset that has been going on for decades.

You don’t need one gram of protein per pound of body weight. You don’t need that at all. If you are regularly active and at a good weight, if you get more than 80 grams of protein a day then you are fine. The body can’t even process more than that, your liver can’t process more than that. If you give your body too much protein then it’s either going to turn it into energy or to fat. And your liver has to do all that.”
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    So Im supposed to trust some vegan mma fighter on my protein intake? This guy uses protein more efficient than most Im assuming. So he doesn't need as much protein. You cant just say anyone who is physically active needs 80 grams or less.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in, can you change your macro% somewhere? I've looked all over the dang place.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in, can you change your macro% somewhere? I've looked all over the dang place.

Go to the "My Home" main tab, "Goals" Sub-tab, click "Change goals" then the "Custom" radio button, and you can change anything you want from there. :)
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So Im supposed to trust some vegan mma fighter on my protein intake? This guy uses protein more efficient than most Im assuming. So he doesn't need as much protein. You cant just say anyone who is physically active needs 80 grams or less.

Answer this: If I take my protein pills will I get big biceps? Or is something else relevant?
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Go to the "My Home" main tab, "Goals" Sub-tab, click "Change goals" then the "Custom" radio button, and you can change anything you want from there. :)

Thank you! :)
  • mkwick
    mkwick Posts: 4
    Options
    Coach Jake, your reply was extremely helpful. I had been well under the protein levels, as well as fat and carbs. I'm changing my settings today. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply so specifically! Be well!