Knee issues -- any suggestions appreciated.

Options
I have bad knees and left knee is practically out. So far knee is fine and doctors tell me to keep moving it and I can tell when I exercise they do definitely feel better. I do walking away the pounds DVD's and I just started going back to health club the last 3 weeks. Some people say elliptical is good for knees and same for treadmill. Then other professionals say they are not good for the knees. I have never heard any one say the stationery bikes are bad for your knees. And I can do stationary bike fine. But I like to mix it up. When I had a trainer a few years ago she had me on all 3 machines and had me doing hills on treadmill!!

Does anyone have and advice on exercises that are good for knees? That they heard from their doctors, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have a bad right knee. The elliptical kills my knee! I can sometimes do the bikes but the treadmill doesn't hurt my knee at all. I'd say just do what you can, we know how much our bodies can handle without going to far. A Dr can't judge our pain because they can't feel it themselves ya know, just do what doesn't put you in much pain. If you hurt your knee even worse it will put you out of the gym for quite sometime, that's just how I look at it.
  • justme73
    justme73 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and aqua arobics is really good as it puts little to know pressure on the joints. Besides, it's fun! Good Luck!!! and God Bless!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sara0315
    sara0315 Posts: 5
    Options
    I had left knee ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair in February, and the stationary bike was part of my physical therapy after surgery. I think that, if it does not hurt, then it's a good exercise for your knees.
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a weak knee and I like to mix up the stationary bike and swimming.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The reason why you get mixed answers is because there can be many causes of a "bad knee". For some, an elliptical is find, others find it a problem. No one on this forum can give you a definitive answer.

In general, if you try an elliptical/cross trainer, keep the incline as low as possible and try to find a machine with a flatter movement profile. Start off with the lowest resistance as well--initially your goal is just to build up a physical tolerance for the movement--trying to get a cardio training effect will have to wait.

You might be able to do some exercises to strengthen your legs and knees in general. Unfortunately, there is not much detail I can provide in this type of forum.
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    I have bad knees (6 knee surgeries in the last 14 years, 3 on each knee, I have a rare form of arthritis and zero cartilage in both knees). My Rhueumatologist says to do eliptical or stationary bike since they are very low impact on the knees, but she would prefer I did water walking or water aerobics. Walking on the treadmill is ok in her opinion but not too fast, or at too much of an incline.

My orthopedic surgeon also concurs with the water aerobics, and also recomends any type of strength training you can do to strengthen the quads, hamstrings and Hip abducter muscles. Thoses muscle help support the knees and absorb some of the shock of each step, like the cartilage used to do.

You may want to consult with your doctors to find what specific exersices they like.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • fitgirljudy
    Options
    Hi Mollie, I've been told by trainers to mix it up also, but when you did those particular machines before, were your knees in the shape they are now? What was okay in the past, may not be so good now. The water stuff is the safest bet if you like it and can get to it. Be careful--you don' t want to make the knees any more problematic than they already are!!! Cheering you on!!!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am another person with no cartlidge on my knees. My doctor told me I could bike as much as I wanted but I wasn't allowed to walk. A few years later I went to an orthopedist and I started physical therapy...and I was told to bike. Not a problem for me since I LOVE biking.

From best to worst, my list is like this:
    Biking
    Elliptical
    Trail running/ihking
    Ice skating
    Running on treadmill
    Running on pavement