really need some support!! PLEASE HELP

Options
Hi Everyone. I am 17 years old, and last November, I managed to lose 11 pounds with MFP. I was so happy and confident in my body for the first time. However, when I had 10 pounds left to lose, I reached a plateau. No matter how little calories I consumed, I just couldn't lose any more weight. I did a lot of research online and I discovered the "calorie cycling" philosophy where i eat a small amount of calories one day and then a lot of calories the next. Although this worked for a couple of weeks, on those days where I was "allowed" to eat a lot, I stuffed myself. I began to crave the foods that I didn't think about before, and then I started to binge. For the past two months, I would go two to three days without binging, and then I just couldn't take it and would make up some excuse to eat as much as I wanted. I just weighed myself today, and I'm back to my original weight. My senior prom is in around 2 months, and my dream has always been to look fit for it. Right now, I really am at a loss for what to do and am about to give up. I've worked so so hard to lose this weight and I feel like it was all for nothing. Any words of motivation, advice, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    How tall? How much do you weigh now? What is your calorie goal? Do you weight lift?
  • izzallgud
    Options
    I am Female - around 5'2". I am now 125 and want to get down to 105. My weekly goal calories was 1,200... but as I got skinnier, I began to eat less and less. When I binged, I would eat around 3,000 calories a day and then try to make it up by eating 400 cal the next day (which i know is unhealthy). Now, my daily calorie goal is 800 cal if I want to lose 2 lb/week.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    I don't really want to rain on your parade but I seriously think you should not eat any below 1200 unless it's approved by a medical professional or if you're morbidly obese. Neither of these cases seem to exist. What you should be doing is making sure you're getting the proper nutrients your body needs, and daily exercising if you're able to do them. Best of luck to you.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you wont loose on 800 cal a day! and if you do it wont be healthy. try increasing your calories and Exercising.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    You have to eat more than that. 800 and below is just too little for your body and it's not getting the energy it needs. How do you do with protein intake and such? You have to feed your body what it needs to give it energy to do what it's supposed to do. When you eat so little, your body goes into a starvation mode and will hold onto everything for your organs to function. I'm not a doctor or expert by any means, but I would venture to guess that's why you can't lose any weight. Your body won't let you when you aren't giving it what it needs.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    At 17 years old are you sure your weight increase is not from the fact that you may still be growing into your adult body? I'm going to tell you what I tell my own kids: please don't count calories just yet. Just find a sport you enjoy... go and try various ones. There's so much to choose from - running, yoga, soccer, baseball, swimming, cycling, martial arts, boxing, crossfit, dance, golf... go try them all. Invite your friends. Have fun.

You are 125 lbs... please don't panic. Just keep junk food treats to once or twice a week in controlled portions and find your inner athlete. That's all I got.
  • izzallgud
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I guess I'm just scared that because even when I eat 800 I am gaining weight (because of binging), if I eat even more I will gain more weight. Is it also true that I should try to eat frequent small meals throughout the day?
  • quinngirl8511
    quinngirl8511 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What are the foods you are craving and when do you eat the worst ( time of day) .. I have some tips that could help short term.
    1. if you have food that are a weakness for you or you crave carbs after being good all day eat the carbs or fats in the morning, fill up and you will have all day to burn it off
    2. A great detox drink: 8oz water, 1 dandelion teabag, 1 lemon, tbs cranberry juice (no sugar) ..drink this through out the day for seven days. .. works even better if you dont have carbs after lunch but either way it helps
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Your weight gain probably didn't come from you eating 800 calories. It would have been your binging days where you mentioned you ate upwards of 3-4000 cals. Your weekly totals probably aren't averaging out to you having a deficit. Also, maybe get away from this whole "calorie cycling", since it's not working for you.
  • westernfan
    Options
    You have your goal - the Senior Prom - so that's a great and a wonderful motivator. I do think you need to keep your calorie count up between 1000 - 1200. If you are determined to keep it at 800 or so, eat nutritious foods up to the higher calorie count and then exercise to bring your total count down to what you want. Limiting the calories and exercising, I believe, is the key for most weight loss. Don't deprive yourself of those foods you love...just cut back big time. Choose exercise you enjoy. Having a partner to keep you accountable and even exercising with you really helps. You can do it! Keep us updated on your progress. We can be your cheerleaders!
  • barbarairion
    Options
    If you don't eat enough for a few days, then of course your body is going to be starving and you will eat WAY too much. 3000 calories a day is crazy! BE KIND TO YOURSELF, eat a reasonable diet (minimum of 1200 cals per day) and exercise for 30 mins to 60 mins a day. Even an hour's brisk walk is enough. If you want lasting results you have to find a balanced lifestyle that is comfortable for you so you can keep doing it long term.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I know you want the weight loss badly and before your prom, too. But please be smart about this. Don't start a life long habit of treating your body badly. If I were you I'd eat as healthfully as possible and not under 1200 calories, start working out and include cardio and weights. By eating clean and exercising you can get good and healthy results by then. You have youth on your side. You already have a super metabolism. Use it to your advantage - don't ruin it. When you want to binge think about your prom, drink some water, and plan a healthy snack.

Also, healthy calorie cycling is something like 1200,1400,1600 or 1300, 1500, 1700. Not 400, 800, 1200. A diet like that will shut down your metabolism and you won't lose weight.

Just make the decision that you'll do the best you can starting now and work towards your goal everyday. There's nothing we can do about the mistakes we've made in the past except learn from them.
  • izzallgud
    Options
    Again, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help/support. I know that I'm not obese, but I don't feel comfortable in my body and that is really my goal here. I've been doing yoga around 3 times a week but I'm not seeing significant results. I guess my question here is if any strategy to control cravings or overeating have particularly helped and what foods I should be eating. I eat fairly healthily - lots of fruits, veggies, and nuts. It's always at night that I crave sweets - I seem to always want cookies/brownies/chocolate....
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You should be able to eat about 1500-1800 calories daily without gaining weight provided you have stopped growing (which, I'm not convinced you have).

If you stick to the low end of that... 1500... if you MUST count calories. 800 isn't going to do it. You're robbing your body of what it needs and you're headed down a path towards disordered eating at that point. Make sure it's 1500 calories of good food! Don't make it 1500 calories of non-fat/sugar-free/non-foods else your body will continue to freak out and encourage you to binge.

Our bodies are amazing... they adjust to what we do. Feed it too little and it will make you eat more.

I still say go dancing... try something new every week.
  • BlueEyes2000
    BlueEyes2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you eat below 1200 calories, your body just isn't getting the fuel it needs to run. It will begin to shut you metabolism down and you will not loose like you did the first few days (which was mostly water weight). Sounds tough to hear, but at the age of 53, I have spent my life on one diet or another. I am glad I finally understand what this site tries to encourage; eating healthy and exercise. The binge is because you were depriving yourself the calories your body wanted, and perhaps eating too many fast carbs/sugars ... those always send me into a binge. If today you fall off your goal, tomorrow pick it back up without trying to deduct todays calories from tomorrow. 2 weeks is a good amount of time to drop 5 pounds (maybe more if you exercise and drink plenty of water) Above all else, you will feel wonderful about yourself and the success you have achieved. The prom is a wonderful event, just don't put so much pressure on yourself to look skinny. Go with the idea you want to have fun and you will. Too much stress will send you into another binge. My advice: eat reasonably healthy everyday, turn some music on and dance your heart out, drink water, don't weigh for at least a week. Make plans with your besties and just enjoy the whole Prom experience.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    How are you doing with protein? Are you still eating and drinking sugary things?
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Hi there sounds like you have a nice goal to shoot for! You might still be growing so I would take that into account. I would try not to have too many days where you are depriving your body of what it needs, so under 1200 calories is probably too little. Best of luck!
  • izzallgud
    Options
    I will plan on eating 1,200 calories per day! However, WHAT foods should I be eating? I always try to eat healthy, but I crave sugary things. I just don't know how to control my hunger. After I eat an apple, I am still starving and look for fattening foods to fill me up. Then, after one cookie, I decide that I've failed and might as well eat a dozen more... I'm really trying to change this habit, but it is really difficult to stop.

As for protein, I don't eat much meat, but I will occasionally eat lean protein like chicken or salmon. Is it OK for me to eat some sweets and fattening foods once in a while so I don't crave them so much? I actually do pretty well in the drinks department. I don't really drink anything other than water and unsweetened tea.

The foods that I just really can't resist are sweets and desserts.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    With only two months, I think you need to change your goal to a more realistic weight. Maybe instead of going from 125 to 105, you could go from 125 to 115. That's something you could realistically achieve in that time frame. Losing 2 pounds a week at your weight range is pretty dramatic and it seems like you'd have to do some unhealthy things to get there... :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I will plan on eating 1,200 calories per day! However, WHAT foods should I be eating? I always try to eat healthy, but I crave sugary things. I just don't know how to control my hunger. After I eat an apple, I am still starving and look for fattening foods to fill me up. Then, after one cookie, I decide that I've failed and might as well eat a dozen more... I'm really trying to change this habit, but it is really difficult to stop.

As for protein, I don't eat much meat, but I will occasionally eat lean protein like chicken or salmon. Is it OK for me to eat some sweets and fattening foods once in a while so I don't crave them so much? I actually do pretty well in the drinks department. I don't really drink anything other than water and unsweetened tea.

The foods that I just really can't resist are sweets and desserts.

Eating a cookie is not a failure. And it doesn't mean you should give up and eat the whole box! If it fits in your calories it's ok to have one or two. Just try to keep most of your food choices on the healthy side. Technically, fresh unprocessed foods are healthier choices, but for straight up weight loss, you just need to stay within the right calorie range, regardless of the food.