Is Fitbit worth it?

Options

Replies

• aligatah
    aligatah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Will it be able to tell the difference between running 1000 steps or walking 1000 steps?

Yes.

You can mark when you start and stop a certain activity and it will tell you the duration, calories burned, the number of steps, number of floors climbed, distance, pace, and speed. Here's an example from the last time I took my dog for a walk:

Screenshot_1_zps1f967abe.jpg

Here's the speed (you can see when my dog needed to stop to take care of some business):

Screenshot_2_zps7a181675.jpg
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So, from what I'm gathering from this post, it's not redundant to use both the fitbit and HRM. I already have a HRM but would like a fitbit if it really does help!
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT 4 for when I workout and love it!

Can anyone tell me if the Fitbit would be a good buy for me if I work a desk job and pretty much sit for 8 hours everyday? From what it looks like, its just a pedometer, right? Or does it actually tell you how many cals you are burning throughout the day.
  • aligatah
    aligatah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    does it actually tell you how many cals you are burning throughout the day.

Yes.
  • SammyKatt13
    Options
    Well, I ordered it... Hopefully it will help!
  • NureeniWright
    Options
    Will it be able to tell the difference between running 1000 steps or walking 1000 steps?

Yes.

You can mark when you start and stop a certain activity and it will tell you the duration, calories burned, the number of steps, number of floors climbed, distance, pace, and speed. Here's an example from the last time I took my dog for a walk:

Screenshot_1_zps1f967abe.jpg

Here's the speed (you can see when my dog needed to stop to take care of some business):

Screenshot_2_zps7a181675.jpg

Thanks so much! That really helps, I think I might put some money away and pick one up in a month or so. I find that i'm really active on days where I work, but when I'm not working I tend to just lie on the couch ALL day. Hopefully this'll be an accurate way to measure how much I move at work and a good way to motivate myself to get up and go outside on my days off =D
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If motivation is important. Have you looked at the STRIIV- the app the Smart Pedometer or the Play.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes. Love my fitbit, been using it solidly for six months.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    New one is coming out this spring!
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this post. It's going to my present to myself with taxes!
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So, from what I'm gathering from this post, it's not redundant to use both the fitbit and HRM. I already have a HRM but would like a fitbit if it really does help!

Adore my FitBit...I wear it 24/7, and wear my HRM only during workouts. After the workout I'll enter my data from the HRM into MFP and then it automatically synchronizes with FitBit to account for the overlap between the two devices, and adjusts my calories accordingly.

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Can't say enough positive things about the motivation the FitBit provides, plus the easy synchronization. I have the Ultra that's now been discontinued, desperately want the One, but can't justify it when the only difference is bluetooth synchronization, and my Ultra works fine. Won't be getting the wristband because I like having it clipped to my bra, no one knows I'm wearing it, and the stairs matter to me.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    yay for fitbit users! I adore mine! just have a question and since so many fitbit-ers have responded to this thread perhaps one of you would be willing to help me out?

Just noticed every day fitbit has a calorie adjustment for me in MFP....just this morning MFP is saying I have earned an extra 289 calories from exercise (its only 830am- I literally woke up, got dressed, got kids up made breakfast, got them to daycare and me to work-I did take the stairs up!)

so by the end of the day fitbit usually says I have burned 2700 calories, and MFP says 2300 or so, so there is usually a giant 400-900 calories adjustment from fitbit. Is something wrong with this? Do i have a setting wrong? I know mfp just guestimates my activity and fitbit is ON ME and knows what I am doing, but just seems like 289 extra calories this morning for just doing my thing isnt quite right!
    Thanks!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    yay for fitbit users! I adore mine! just have a question and since so many fitbit-ers have responded to this thread perhaps one of you would be willing to help me out?

Just noticed every day fitbit has a calorie adjustment for me in MFP....just this morning MFP is saying I have earned an extra 289 calories from exercise (its only 830am- I literally woke up, got dressed, got kids up made breakfast, got them to daycare and me to work-I did take the stairs up!)

so by the end of the day fitbit usually says I have burned 2700 calories, and MFP says 2300 or so, so there is usually a giant 400-900 calories adjustment from fitbit. Is something wrong with this? Do i have a setting wrong? I know mfp just guestimates my activity and fitbit is ON ME and knows what I am doing, but just seems like 289 extra calories this morning for just doing my thing isnt quite right!
    Thanks!

If your Fitbit is always giving you extra calories, you may have your MFP activity setting too low.

Mine was always giving me more calories so I needed to switch my activity level from sedentary to active.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • SammyKatt13
    Options
    If any of you Fitbit users would like to add me, please do so! I should be getting mine in the next 3 days! =)
  • mandypahl
    mandypahl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does it work if you use the elliptical or similar machines? I had a pedometer and hated it, if was a cheap one and never counted correctly.
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yep...I use mine on the elliptical every day.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Oooh, reading through this really makes me want a Fitbit...I think I'd get a lot out of it and pretty much know it wouldl motivate me to be more active in between work-outs.

I have a work-out reward jar going...instead of buying clothes with the money, I think I'll buy myself a neat gadget to keep this going long-term!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Mine is a backup to my Polar FT7, which sometimes gives me flaky readings (111 bpm for 30 minutes into my workout, then up to 137 in 60 seconds? Do I have tachycardia?) I love its simplicity and user-friendliness. I'm heading to London for a busioness trip tomorrow and the FT7 is staying home but the FitBit will be on my waistband. If the weather holds out and I can play tourist before my meetings start on Monday, I bet I can ht 15,000 steps!
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I love mine - I had the Ultra but put it through the wash (try very hard not to do that, it doesn't like it AT ALL). I've just replaced it with the newer One model and it's niiiiice. I was going to wait for the Flex to come out, but then read some reviews and it doesn't count stairs and also doesn't have a display - there are wee lights that light up when you've met a goal but that's about it. I'll upgrade to a Flex in a couple of generations, once it counts stairs and also has a display feature. Until then, I'm delighted with my One!

Buy one! Do iiiiit!