Please I need some support and advice.

Options
I joined MFP on the 7th January and lost 4 lbs over the next few days. I was loving it and loving the new diet having been a compulsive over eater for years. Things were going great until the 21st when my weight loss stopped and now it is creeping back slowly.
This morning I got up and weighed myself. I was so upset I did my first pig out in over 3 weeks.
I know people say you should not weigh yourself every day, but I do. I have met my calorie goal every day, even though I admit I do eat junk.
I just do not know what to do now. I am seriously thinking of quitting and saving up for a gastric band as that seems to be my only option.

Replies

• rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have left my diary open if anyone wants to look at that and advise.
  • loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would say don't get disheartened. If you're serious about losing weight (and the fact that you have posted this means that you are), then you need to keep in mind that it won't be quick, and that even if it takes longer, it will stay off in the long run. Keep up what you've been doing and you'll see the number start to come back down again.

The advice that everyone gave me was to take measurements as well as using the scale. You might not always lose the pounds you want to, but if the inches are coming off and you are feeling better, then who cares about the scale?

Good luck (and stay strong)!

Feel free to add me if you want extra friends for support :-)
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry Hun, but you need to reevaluate your eating habits. I'm not saying you shouldnt have treats, but your meal plan should have 3 servings of fruits and veggies. I dont think your weight gain is anything but sodium. The items you intake are loaded with salt.

Please dont give up. That shouldnt even be an option. We learn as we go. We slip up, get up, dust ourselves off, and come back stronger. This journey isnt easy, but well worth the struggle. You can do this!

Also congrats on the weight loss thus far. Imagine the results you'd get if your meal plan were a little more healthier. I understand how hard it is, I as well am a mother, wife, and work full time. I have to preplan everything from exercise to meals. I prepare my meals and snacks days in advance. I believe in you.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    I eat a vast quantity of salt, often have about 10 g additional salt on a meal.

I will go buy some vegetables today and try to get things healthier
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You could also try this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to check you are definitely on the right calorie intake. I am currently doing a 20% calorie reduction after over indulging at Christmas using the body fat percentage as a means of calculating what I eat but they do a variety of models in a drop down box.

I tend to create recipes from BBC Good Food and adapt them for a vegetarian using a slow cooker and box up 3 days worth of meals so I don't have to think about food. I still have chocolate and crisps some weeks if I want them. Life is too short to be perfect.
  • jess3063
    Options
    Hi,

I've only just started this today, but have had some experience in dieting etc

I think another issue in your food intake may be sugar related, try adding sugar and fibre to your diary count to track what your intake is. increasing your fibre intake also helps to burn more calories.

Also, what is your exercise regime like? You will need to exercise at least 4 times per week, as the more muscle you have, the more you burn in a resting state, I'm not saying bulk up, but doing some weights will definitely help.

I hope this helps :)

You can also add me if you like, I have no friends yet and could do with some motivation to keep this up :)

Jess
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You are right to cut down on salt, being the freak of nature that I am I have to add more salt to my food and olive oil, it depends on how your body works. My body happens to have slightly lower good cholesterol so I am eating olive oil in my food every day and I have fainting level low blood pressure so I add a pinch of sea salt to my cooking to help relieve my symptoms.

You might want to get a check up at your doctors to establish there are no underlying causes to your plateau.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for a while too until I raised my calories from 1200 to 1700. I was honestly just trying anything I could to get going again and it worked. I'm losing more quickly now. I eat a crap load of fruits and veggies now. I am also in love with peanut butter so I switched to PB2 which has 40ish calories per serving vs 190 that my old peanut butter has. I just made small changes like that. I still get upset and have "fat days" but don't give up! You only fail when you stop trying :)
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    I was stuck for a while too until I raised my calories from 1200 to 1700. I was honestly just trying anything I could to get going again and it worked. I'm losing more quickly now. I eat a crap load of fruits and veggies now. I am also in love with peanut butter so I switched to PB2 which has 40ish calories per serving vs 190 that my old peanut butter has. I just made small changes like that. I still get upset and have "fat days" but don't give up! You only fail when you stop trying :)

Sorry, I just want to understand this right, you plateaued at 1200, but when you UPPED your calorie allowance you started losing again?

That may be my problem, I have cut my calorie allowance to 1300.

I do tons of exercise as I run a cleaning company and last week spent over 20 hours cleaning offices.
  • tiff_doubleu
    Options
    Hi rosiecbolton!

Don't give up! You are doing good for yourself just by simply being on this site and having made a decision to make a change for your lifestyle. If money allows it, I would like to suggest that you consider working with a nutritionist. A professional can really help you with tips on how to lose weight. I started working with one about a year ago and never regret it.

If you are truly interested in the gastric band procedure, you would most likely have to work with some sort of physician or nutritionist as a part of the evaluation process anyway (I would assume it's the same in EN as it is in the US).

Good Luck - We are all here to support you!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Sorry, I just want to understand this right, you plateaued at 1200, but when you UPPED your calorie allowance you started losing again?

That may be my problem, I have cut my calorie allowance to 1300.

I do tons of exercise as I run a cleaning company and last week spent over 20 hours cleaning offices.

Exactly, I started eating more and I started losing faster, as weird as that sounds. I get to eat more and I'm losing, so I'm pretty happy with my calorie allowance at the moment :)
  • sarah0709
    sarah0709 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you may have cut your cals too much, if you go online and look into your BMR that will tell you how many cals a day you burn and give more of an idea of what you should be eating. 100% agree you are eating too much salt and not enough vegs etc and would also say you need to drink more water as that helps balance the sodium. Please don't get disheartened tho, many of us have been in your position. Feel free to add me if you want, I'm not perfect but always here for support xx
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies.

I will cut out the salt and go buy some fresh fruit and veg today-the microwave ready meals clearly have to stop!

Although I had my mega pig out this morning (2 choc bars, 2 yogurt and rice cake) I am now back on the wagon!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Rosie, I've been at this for six months and have lost 4 stone using the principles from this site.

Take a look at this link, some very useful advice - if a bit technical:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

My observations from using the site:

1. MFP over estimates the calories burned. So I dont eat back all the calories MFP says you have burned.
    2. I log everything I eat religiously.
    3. Some weeks I lose 3 lbs other weeks 1lbs, the loss has not been linear, but has averaged at almost 2lbs a week.
    4. If I have eaten a sodium loaded meal e.g. take away food, I retain a lot of water e.g last week I was away on business all week. I know I kept below my TDEE and I "gained" 2lbs. I wasn't worried as I have learned that this will be water. Guess what 3 days after coming home this 2lbs and an additional 1lbs have gone.

Now the tough love part.

I took a look at your food diary and it is loaded with what I consider unhealthy foods e.g. Cheerios/ coco-pops for breakfast!! They''re loaded with sugar, so empty calories. I bet you are hungry all the time. And the crisps!!, need to stop eating those loaded with Sodium.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    I have taken everyone's advice, especially with the coco pops and replaced it for fruit and have LOST 2lbs ovenight!!

Thank you for your help.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    If I am reading your post correctly you started on the 7th then stopped losing weight on the 21st? That's just a period of 2 weeks, there is absolutely no reason to think your diet isn't working. Weight loss is neither consistant or immediate, everyone's advice is great, but you really need to give it more time. Losing 2lbs overnight isn't because you lost 2 pounds of fat, nor does gaining 2 lbs over the course of day mean you gained two pounds of fat.