Really struggling :(

Options
Well im really struggling with this weight loss.

I have been swimming for the past few weeks 3 times a week. I have been eating healthier which is good. I lost 7lbs but when i checked this morning its all back on :(

I work long hours, have a child and go to university. I just feel like i dont have time for anything. i dont even get me time!

i know alot of you will say there is always time so ill break down my week to put it into perpective.

5.00 am UP and ready for work
5.30am leave for work
7.00am at work
4.00pm leave work
5.45 pm arrive home.
6.00pm tea and spend some time with my daughter
6.30 pm univeristy lecture
9 pm shower and get ready for bed
10pm bed

I try to go swimming Tuesday and Wednesday. I got for abround 45 mins until 630 then the cycle starts over again. As you can see its a very busy schedule and it takes me over an hour and half to get to work and then the same back home. I barely get to spend any time with my family hence why i tend to keep weekends free and do no studying etc

can someone please help. Im really failing and feel im juist going to be fat for the rest of my life!

Replies

• glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I see temporary gains like that when I eat a lot of salty, processed food. Also, when my period is starting. I get frustrated sometimes too; that's normal. Keep at it and you'll notice those 7 lbs come off soon. I'm a housewife (no work, no school, only time!), so my schedule is all over the place and I have trouble planning meals etc because I eat at the most random times. If I had a busy schedule like yours I would take advantage of the structure and plan meals; etc. Since you don't have too much time to spare for working out besides swimming here and there, the absolute best thing you can do is focus on your meals. :flowerforyou:
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    could you incorporate excercise into your 'time with daughter; - walk or swim together, play ball with her, take her to the playground and play with her? not sure how old she is, just an idea.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sudden gains in weight are not from fat, please read the opening post of this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I see temporary gains like that when I eat a lot of salty, processed food. Also, when my period is starting. I get frustrated sometimes too; that's normal. Keep at it and you'll notice those 7 lbs come off soon. I'm a housewife (no work, no school, only time!), so my schedule is all over the place and I have trouble planning meals etc because I eat at the most random times. If I had a busy schedule like yours I would take advantage of the structure and plan meals; etc. Since you don't have too much time to spare for working out besides swimming here and there, the absolute best thing you can do is focus on your meals. :flowerforyou:

i totally agree.I think food should be your main focus as well as water intake.Maybe you can do sometime of physical activity at work,and on your lunch?I have a very physical job and walk at least two miles a day just at work.I'm in the same boat.Just remember to take baby steps and it doesnt matter how long it takes to reach your goal just as long as you make it there.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Do you think your period may be due in a couple of days? I usually gain a couple of pounds before my period due to water retention. I don't see any reason why you will regain 7 lbs without overtly overeating. You said you have been eating healthier. Is this diet consistent? One thing I know with very busy schedules is that if you can't exercise due to time constraints, you HAVE TO HAVE a clean diet. Lower your caloric intake.

As for finding time to exercise, I understand that weekends are reserved to spend time with your family. You have to incorporate activities with that. Use those time you spend with your family to do something that will burn calories. Walk or jog in the park, play games (basketball, baseball, catch, etc.), bike in the park or near the beach (you get the point). This way, not only will spend quality time with your family, you will also get some exercise hours.

During weekdays, even just a little bit of exercise is better than nothing. I know that you are already waking up early (5 am is very early for me). Is there any way you can wake up 25 minutes prior and do a DVD exercise at home. I recommend jillian michaels 30 day shred. Its high intensity but very short and not time consuming. You will get your burn with less amount of time. You don't even have to do this every day (although that's what the program recommends).
  • fiddlefiddle19
    Options
    I'd suggest you do a short video workout like 30 DS (the only one I'm familiar with). It's tough and only 20mins. I think u can squeeze it in between your tight schedule! :) Maybe there are others short video workout u can check out too.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a tough timetable, I would already struggle at the 5am get up!

I understand that finding "me time" is a challenge but maybe you can find some at the weekend? Even if it is just a couple of hours where you do what you want to do? Or could you use the long commute productively? If you take a train, you could do some uni reading there and free up some time in the evening?

But importantly: You do not HAVE TO do exercise to lose weight. I have lost 40 lbs with barely any exercise (I am a lazy git), I don't go to the gym, I don't do any home workouts apart from maybe a bit of Zumba on the Wii every other week or so, I walk my dog every day but am otherwise sedentary (as sedentary as it gets, as I work from home).

So don't feel like you have to do it all or nothing - start by focusing on what you eat and how much of it, keep logging your calories and it will happen.

Most important of all: DON'T GIVE UP! If you give up now, you will kick your bum in a couple of months wishing you had stuck with it. So save yourself that time and keep at it - in your own time, with your own schedule that works for you!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You swim 3 times a week. That IS exercise. Pat yourself on the back and move on. You can change the activity if you want, but you don't need to exercise a ton to be effective.

When you think of it, incorporate your family life into it. Seasonal activities are fun. Wii dance games are fun. Playing in the park is priceless. Go bowling with your child. Lots of stuff you can do. If you have an hour lunch break, spend 20 minutes of it walking.

Lots of stuff can cause TEMPORARY weight fluctuation. Focus on the diet and the rest will fall in place over time.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    I finish work early (well 4pm) so i take my daughter for an hour until 5pm. I drive to work. Car share so they do one day i do the other. I am planning (trying at the moment) to get notes into a small notebook that i can take with me and read on the way home (Too dark in the mornings) and for the first hour at work (as bosses not in but shhh) so at least i can free up a bit more time at home... We have a gym at work but i only take half hour lunch breaks to get away early on a Friday although i could maybe squeeze in a quick workout and shower in 45 mins and no one would know as they would all b on there lunch? Although it takes a while to get inducted but suppose its a start. Im trying to go to the gym after work Monday and Thursday before my partner goes to footy so at least im done and dusted and can keep my daughter up a wee bit longer as i don’t have lecture Monday

I am trying to focus on my diet but its hard especially when my partner doesn’t eat the same foods so its all chips etc smells coming from kitchen and at work we have a coffee bar upstairs ( i hate coffee but LOVE the smell) and their hot chocolate is to die for.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I finish work early (well 4pm) so i take my daughter for an hour until 5pm. I drive to work. Car share so they do one day i do the other. I am planning (trying at the moment) to get notes into a small notebook that i can take with me and read on the way home (Too dark in the mornings) and for the first hour at work (as bosses not in but shhh) so at least i can free up a bit more time at home... We have a gym at work but i only take half hour lunch breaks to get away early on a Friday although i could maybe squeeze in a quick workout and shower in 45 mins and no one would know as they would all b on there lunch? Although it takes a while to get inducted but suppose its a start. Im trying to go to the gym after work Monday and Thursday before my partner goes to footy so at least im done and dusted and can keep my daughter up a wee bit longer as i don’t have lecture Monday

I am trying to focus on my diet but its hard especially when my partner doesn’t eat the same foods so its all chips etc smells coming from kitchen and at work we have a coffee bar upstairs ( i hate coffee but LOVE the smell) and their hot chocolate is to die for.

How about workouts during the weekend with your daughter? How old is she? By the way, if you need a lifestyle change and want to permanently lose weight you have to ask your partner for help. He has to know that you are on a diet and he has to be able to help you out. Ask him if he wants to eat good healthy food together. Even if he is not trying to lose weight, he still has to eat healthy. Also, what are your stats? Height, weight, etc.