How Many Suspected or Already Knew This About Biggest Loser

Options
When selected to be contestants on the show...the producers/people who run the show actually ask the people to GAIN weight before they begin filming so that that results will seem more dramatic!!!

Friends of the family's were selected and were told to gain weight before filming began!! Couldnt believe it! Absolutely disgusted that they would risk people's health for a show!! (although i guess that is sort of what they do to all the contestants anyway through massive and rapid weight loss)

I know im in Aus but i assume its the same for most countries' versions

How many people already knew this????
Anybody else think this is completely wrong??

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    gaining weight is probably the healthiest thing the show has the people do for the entire duration of their engagement with the production.

and yes, this is common practice. those before/after shots of people using weight loss products and dvds? those were professional fitness people that purposefully put on weight for the before shots, then rebounded to their normal weight for the after shots.

it's tv. believe nothing.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about that. Mainly from the "before" footage, which shows them eating/binging, being inactive... And I think, if they were really concerned about their health, would they encourage them to, for example, show their favorite foods, or to go on a binge in front of the camera?? It just seemed... odd. But given the things I've heard about BL in the past few days, I wouldn't put them past it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with DavPul. I already knew that biggest loser is a very unhealthy weight loss game show (and all the many unhealthy things they put people through).

And I've also seen the video that a fit guy did showing how body builders can do before/after shots of themselves with fakery for selling weight loss scams. Here it is: http://youtu.be/M957dACQyfU
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    gaining weight is probably the healthiest thing the show has the people do for the entire duration of their engagement with the production.
    Funny and sad at the same time, but true.
    it's tv. believe nothing.
    Also true. Biggest Loser is probably the most unrealistic of all "reality shows". It gives people unrealistic expectations and probably hurts more people than it helps because they get demotivated, feel like a failure and quit when they're not losing 20+ pounds a week "like they do on Biggest Loser".
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    But I love this show :( hahah. As long as it's inspiring me, fake or not, oh well!
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Nothing really surprises me with reality TV. Sad but true.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I did not know it or really suspect it though it does not surprise me. As one said, this is actually healthier than what they ask them to do during the program. The only thing "reality" in "reality tv" is... well,............ the title.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Hate this show. But my kids make me watch it. Sigh
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I agree with DavPul. I already knew that biggest loser is a very unhealthy weight loss game show (and all the many unhealthy things they put people through).

And I've also seen the video that a fit guy did showing how body builders can do before/after shots of themselves with fakery for selling weight loss scams. Here it is: http://youtu.be/M957dACQyfU

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO WATCH THAT VIDEO BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BEACHBODY OR JILLIAN DVD
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether it's true or not, but if it is I wouldn't be AT ALL surprised. The amount of derpitude on that show is quite high.

Inb4 someone comes in to defend it like they do in Dr Oz threads.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO WATCH THAT VIDEO BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BEACHBODY OR JILLIAN DVD

Not all Beachbody DVD's before and afters are faked. I know this for a fact as I was one of the before/after pictures used in a P90X ad back in 2008, and the pictures were untouched and taken by my current but now ex-from-Hell boyfriend, lol.

But I would agree with this had you said that it only refers to the people in the workout videos or the original professional ads.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that. But then I'm not surprised. It is a reality show after all. We also have to remember that the contestants on the Biggest Loser have all the time in the world. In the real world people have to be at work or at school for most of the day and just don't have the time that the people on the Biggest Loser have. I think it creates very unrealistic expectations and actually causes more harm than good.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    didn't know that. kinda glad hubby stopped me from auditioning.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When it comes to TV, trust no one! haha
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    beachbody works. did it for 6 months, Debbie Seibbers Slim in 6 (just the first disc start it up was totally in the dark about calories and lack of knowledge about being healthy.) lost 26 pounds and 40 inches
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i was watching an episode yesterday where they had their daily menu written out - 3 meals came to 1097 calories... and thats with at least 3 hours in the gym... no eating back exercise calories for them!!!!
  • briarashley
    Options
    I absolutely believe it, but how do you know?
    When selected to be contestants on the show...the producers/people who run the show actually ask the people to GAIN weight before they begin filming so that that results will seem more dramatic!!!

Friends of the family's were selected and were told to gain weight before filming began!! Couldnt believe it! Absolutely disgusted that they would risk people's health for a show!! (although i guess that is sort of what they do to all the contestants anyway through massive and rapid weight loss)

I know im in Aus but i assume its the same for most countries' versions

How many people already knew this????
    Anybody else think this is completely wrong??
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It's a TV reality show. It's there for ratings and entertainment and nothing more. No one should believe that the producers give a crap about the contestants.

This is also a good interview with a former BL contestant that sheds a lot of light on what goes on behind the scenes: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    The amount of derpitude on that show is quite high.

shouldn't that be "blerpitude"? with a BL for Biggest Loser??

the show that Chris Powell does is much better, but even he injects some broscience into his regimen (e.g. carb cycling in the weekly diets for the morbidly obese).
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also notice in the first several episodes that during the weigh in that the women are in sports bras and the men remove their shirts. Then at around the last 6 weeks they are all wearing shirts during the weigh in. Interesting what image they are trying to project by doing this.

I would think anyone would lose weight exercising a min of 6+ hours a day and keeping your calorie in take low.

I would be interested in knowing how many gain the weight back after the show is over and what support system they receive after they have left?