Sweets

Options
Ok, I admit it, im a sweet fiend! I love any sweets regardless of what they are the fizzier the better - i know these are terrible for me: before starting my diet i would munch my way through a 600kcal bag of sugar dummies, some nights whilst gaming a whole bag of jelly babies.

Now making this life style change i have gone cold turkey, and this seems to be working fine, however I am now craving sweets, i know i wont control myself if i buy a bag, and open them they will all be gone.

Are there any sweets that I could eat (I do plan on control) for example the natural sweet company?

Any ideas guys?

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Could buy a pack of sugar free mints. They could do the trick.

About 80kcal in a full pack of fifty.
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    sorry cant help except to say its about will power hun. I have bags of lollies sitting here that my family will get stuck into. I have eaten maybe 3 lollies total in the last month.

If you cant trust yourself dont buy them.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I plan it! I eat fruits and veggies all day and then I devour a bag of sour patch kids :D I usually add it in my food diary the day before I go to the store, so I KNOW those cals are already accounted for.

I wouldn't be able to do this without the occasional sweets. I'd suffer! LOL
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It is all about control, and you need to find the balance between your healthier lifestyle, and denying yourself so much that you feel punished/cheated and end up rebelling.

If I were you, I'd go to Tesco/Asda confectionery aisle. They do little bags of own brand sweets. I know they do 3 for £1, but you're not really worried about getting value for money, if you were, you'd be buying massive wholesale buckets. Give your willpower a helping hand and just choose one and take it for purchase/finish your shopping.

Baby steps. It's all about fitting treats into your new plan.

Be aware, choosing a treat can sometimes be a painstaking task, but hopefully with your preference for fizzy, and the limited choices that come in <100g, it shouldn't be too hard.
  • black_cats
    black_cats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Could buy a pack of sugar free mints. They could do the trick.

About 80kcal in a full pack of fifty.

A whole packet of sugar free mints? That's a one way ticket to, er, digestive distress. :laugh:
  • teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just been tweeted and reminded about tic tacs! I love those lol,

@iron yeah i think i may have a look at those small bags.

is it also worth looking at the sugar free treats like the "de bron" brand?
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Be aware of sugar free chocolate and gummy type treats. They cause horrible gas and sometimes explosive diarhea. I guess that is good portion control if you know eating too many of these will cause those type of problems. LOL :flowerforyou:
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There are sugar sugar free sweets you can get online, although they taste good, be careful as if you eat too much, they give you CRAZY cramps and you'll be running to the toilet every 5 minutes.

What do I do now? I'll load up on veggies and dip and have some diabetics truffles from Thorntons, they are yummy!! and although they are still 45 cals each, they don't contain the sugar that is 1) addictive and 2) will make your blood sugar soar then crash making you store the calories as fat then get you craving more.

Have a go with sugar free, but bajeezuz, while you're still craving...stay away from processed sugar!! It could only be a matter of a few days before you've broken the habit and you will never crave in the same way again!

Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As some other poster's have hinted/indicated with the sugar free stuff, it's best not to try and cheat using magic diet foods, the consequences can be dire. Instead it's best to practice control with the things that you really want.

There's little point trying to treat yourself or satisfy cravings with a substitute, you'll likely still feel cheated.

Edit to add: There have been studies that show that willpower can be practised and trained to become stronger.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy the mini bags of treats, then make sure you only eat ONE bag and stop there - hide the others or put them somewhere you can't get at if temptation overrides your willpower. If they're not easily accessible you're less likely to eat them without planning first. Plan the treat into your food diary so that the cals are counted. A better/healthier treat from chewy sweets would be dark chocolate - I like the Divine and Green & Blacks range of 70-85% cocoa - I have a few squares every so often as a treat :) I also have a weakness for Jelly Babies, they're evil little things that tempt me and we always had them in the house because my daughter has type 1 diabetes and needs them to treat hypos - when a large bag is open it's just soooo tempting to scoff one here and there. I've now started buying the mini bags of haribro sweets, if the bag is not open I'm less likely to be tempted and they're now hidden away in the medical cabinet rather than in the food draw.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Many people have said something about sugar replacements. Maybe experiment and try a good mix -- different sugar substitutes. There are a stevia mixes. Aspartame drinks, and Xylite is supposed to be good for your teeth, while apparently Isomalt is the one with the diarrhoea... Try a combination, and maybe even allow yourself sugar on special occasions. Developing cravings is bad.
  • mic1mam
    mic1mam Posts: 33
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, im a sweet fiend! I love any sweets regardless of what they are the fizzier the better - i know these are terrible for me: before starting my diet i would munch my way through a 600kcal bag of sugar dummies, some nights whilst gaming a whole bag of jelly babies.

Now making this life style change i have gone cold turkey, and this seems to be working fine, however I am now craving sweets, i know i wont control myself if i buy a bag, and open them they will all be gone.

Are there any sweets that I could eat (I do plan on control) for example the natural sweet company?

Any ideas guys?
    Here are some of my sweets, quaker popped cakes there are all different flavors, Herseys minis, I take only 3 in my lunch so I can't over do it. Sugar-free jello mixed with fat free cool whip.
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've bought some great sugar free lollies for diabetics at the Chemist. Go for the fruit chew rather than lozenge, they taste better.
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh, and frozen mixed berries are great too.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well, here are things that I do.

I eat fruit or PB&J.
    I eat sugar free pudding with cool whip.
    I buy one single serve of whatever it is I want and if I can't do that, I get the multi serve and take mine out and give the rest away. Right then.
    I know that I'm going to have something probably every day. I can't live without sweets. :)
    I still eat cookies and such...I"m just smarter about it.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Oh...I'll also drink chocolate milk or make a healthier shake at home.
  • RedKate98
    Options
    Fresh Cherries. They're nature's sweeties and give you some fibre too. If they're not in season, try other fruits. Experiment with different varieties of apples - some are very sweet, and fill you up too - Royal Gala or Genesis or Jazz are good ones. Also grapes, although they're so sweet I sometimes wonder if they're any better than a jelly baby. Still, a handful of grapes has gotta be better for you than a handful of jelly babies - right? Strawberries are also good.

Sugar free sweets are not a good solution - bad side effects.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Be aware that sweets do make blood glucose yoyo. Too high then too low because your body over reacts as it is designed to cope with fruit and not the intense influx of candy. The low blood sugar will trigger new cravings a few hours later. Holding off until late in the day is a strategy that helps.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Fresh cherries, yes. I also buy those tiny Ricola herbal sweets and try to limit myself to two or three a day. That's a bit painful to do but it keeps you off the great big suckers.