Newbie weight lifter questions

I have started to weight lift. You can check out what I am doing, it may be small but I am very sore afterwards :happy: . And I have never been a very strong person. I am going to be bumping my calories up to 2100, did the math for gaining muscle losing fat and it put me around 2200. Figured 2100 would be a good changes especially since right now my calories are set at 1620 plus exercise calories.

Now my question is, do I eat back my exercise calories along with the 2100 per day? That is my confusion. I am not a big person, 5'4 127 lbs..and I am sick of being skinny fat and weak. I'd love to have some muscles and tone.

And what are some exercises you suggest for someone starting off. I was researching and was like :noway: there is so much stuff, it is hard for me to process that much. It makes me want to just :explode: but I am doing this for me and want the best version of me. I know you all get questions like this a lot, I do appreciate you taking the time to look at this. :smile:

Replies

• jo1591
    jo1591 Posts: 7
    Hey, I am a fitness instructor. I think body weight exercises for women are best especially for starting off. You will def see results of toner muscles and still keep a slim body. I would suggest planks, plank walks, push ups, lunges, squats, burpees, mountain climbers, pull ups. All these are great...especially for days when you can't make it to the gym you can easily do these at home.
    Of course using actual weights such as hand bells are great too...lots of different exercises you can do

Also if I was you I wouldn't eat more than 2100 calories a day. That should be just around the amount you need if you are active. If you want to build muscle just make sure you are eating lots of protein- lean meats, eggs, fish, nuts along with whole grain, veggies and fruit that your body will use to build muscle and repair them.
  • Thank you so much for answering my questions. :) great advice. And thank you for answering my calorie question, I could not find what I was looking for. Thank you again!
  • jo1591
    jo1591 Posts: 7
    no problem! I have a lot of experience with fitness and nutrition, glad to help. good luck :)
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Check out this thread. It may help answer some of your questions. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Good thread, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I strongly suggest the book new rules of lifting for women. There is also a group around here with that name you can search for and join.

Honestly, for your height and body weight 2200 calories plus another 250 or so for exercise calories seems like a lot. My advice would be to not add strength training calories to it while you are starting out.
  • I just saw a thread on that book and was curious about it, I am definitely going to check it out! Thank you!
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    if you want to gain weight (muscle and fat) you eat over maintenance
    if you want to lose weight (muscle and fat) you eat under maintenance

it is possible to gain muscle lose fat when you first start lifting but eventually it will become impossible and you will have to do these^^^

Women tend to think they are going to get bulky if they lift weights, let me assure you its not a over night thing & men who gain muscle twice as fast as women struggle to add 1lb or 2 of muscle a month(4lb being about the maximum for a natty male). if you do a ton of body weight exercises it doubles as cardio and you will gain muscle but at a slower rate than weight lifting.

anyways good luck
  • Thank you verry much for the information. I will definately add more calories when I do not see anymore results. I am not scared of eventually becoming bulky! Thanks for the response!
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Heavy squats are great for a girl

500 cals over maintenance.
    Take your weight in pounds and eat that many grams of good quality protein everyday.
    Make sure your program covers all the compound lifts.
    Barbells are better than machines, they will hit your stabilising muscles where cables wont.
    Concentrate on good form over weight but strive to add the smallest increment as often as possible.
    Rest days are important.
  • I do like heavy squats. They are great, I will keep working on those.

500 calories over maintenance is perfect! That means my numbers hit right.
    I changed my c/f/p to 60/20/20 so my protein level shot up double and is at where you says it needs to be.
    I will look into the compound lifts. Thank you!
    And I never feel comfortable with the machines, can't do it from home if I need to need to. I have 10 lb barbells (which are very heavy to me)

Thank you so much.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Check out NROL4W, I am only in week 3 but loving it
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Check out the NROL4W book. I am at the last 2 special workouts in Stage 1 and have fallen in love with lifting now!!
  • The new rules book must be really good to have so many people recommending it. I will pick it up and start it soon. :)