Timing of breakfast

Options
Hi all,

I have heard and read so many different schools of thought on when to eat breakfast, I figure I can't get anymore uncertain by throwing it out to all the knowledgeable people here. Do you think that eating breakfast as soon after you get up affects weight loss?

I've heard that it wakes up your metabolism and gets you burning energy faster, but I've also heard that it doesn't matter what time of the day you eat. The waking up the metabolism makes sense, but I don't know if it is correct.

I have a habit of not eating until I've been up for 3-4 hours and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to change this habit and eat breakfast ASAP after getting up.

Replies

• glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast within the hour after I wake up. My schedule is weird so I eat breakfast at 1am-ish, since I get up around midnight. Your body needs fuel after not eating for a while, so I just force myself to eat even on the days I'm "not feelin it" lol. I heard it boosts your metabolism too. Growing up I would skip breakfast most of the time, whoops.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm just bloody lazy, LOL. I get up, shower, dress and I'm on the train to work. When I get there, I grab a coffee and a bottle of water and there is always a bunch of stuff I get into and then at 10,11ish I realise I haven't eaten yet and grab breakfast. If eating sooner would help with weight loss, I'd make the effort!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No, it does not wake up your metabolism.

Eat it if it help you meet you calorie goals. Avoid it, if that is your preference.
    If you do eat breakfast, the timing of it, all other things considered, has no impact.

If there is any valid research that specifically demonstrates that I have not seen it. Leading reviews demonstrate that any effect will be minor compared to the importance of adherence.
  • ParanSkies
    Options
    I heard that it's best to eat breakfast simply because it's unhealthy to not eat anything for 10 hours+. I'm not sure how accurate this statement is tho.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ^ Sometimes I sleep for 11 hours. Am I unhealthy because I'm not eating in my sleep?

Anyway, it really doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or what time you first eat after you get up. It matters if you're hungry or not & if you ingest quality food. I get up around 11am & usually don't have anything besides tea until about 2pm, when I'll have something small-ish. I'm more hungry at night & can't go to sleep if I'm hungry. Other people have to eat earlier. Just find out what works best for you.
  • Jacqsie
    Jacqsie Posts: 51
    Options
    If you are worried and or would just like to try it for a while and see how you feel and take to it try over night oats. 1/2 cup left to soak over night in water/milk of your choice with a few nuts thrown in. Keep in a small container so it's easy to grab in the morning as you run out the door to get the train :) hope it helps :) Me however I always eat breakfast at around 7.30-8.30 am I get up at 6am and do stretching first for an hour
  • lilly_star
    Options
    I do a 20-30min cardio workout as soon as I wake up then have breakfast. Sounds weird but then I feel "ready" for breakfast and I find I have more energy and there is argument that if you exercise before breakfast you burn more fat overall throughout the day. I have lost 15kilos since april and am at goal weight and have been maintaining it
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    I never feel hungry in the morning so I just have a cup of tea.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    For me it's regularly 4 hours later. Don't feel it's changed my weight loss. I'm happy with it! X
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It used to be advised that you eat breakfast when you get up as it kick started the metabolism BUT that advice was from the same era that suggested you should eat regularly throughout the day to keep the metabolism 'ticking over'. This has now been shown to be false so I suspect the same is true of breakfast.
    That said, I find that eating when I get up just fits nicely into my routine and the cereal I eat (usually weetabix or porridge with semi skimmed milk) and a cuppa or a smoothie give me a good energy level for the morning.

I think it's pretty much up to what you find fits best.
    When I was a student, I often didn't feel like eating first thing in the morning but when I got my first job in London and had to commute a fair way I started making myself eat first and now I always really crave some brekkie when I wake up.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I heard that it's best to eat breakfast simply because it's unhealthy to not eat anything for 10 hours+. I'm not sure how accurate this statement is tho.

This is incorrect. Many people follow Intermittent Fasting without any adverse health effects. I do not, it's a preference thing.