The Exerciser's Dilemma

Options
ccgisme
ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
I originally posted this to my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/gale_c/view/an-exerciser-s-manifesto-25523 but am reposting here to see if I can generate more interest - I'm interested in what you all have to say! :smile:

I'm a big fan of Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. The book centers around a short set of rules for eating: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." He's gone on to expand these statements into a larger set of guidelines for eating healthy food (as opposed to industrial food products).

I got thinking - what would an exerciser's manifesto look like? "Do cardio. Not too much. Mostly walking?" Perhaps too literal - and cardio alone isn't enough - you need to strength train as well.

"Exercise. Not too much. Have fun?" I like that but exercise seems too vague - do I walk, do cross fit, play ball, do 1,000 burpees? Nutrition and exercise are big business. We are bombarded with adds for McDonald's and Nutri-System and the thigh master in one 5 minute commercial break. If we don't know how to eat, why should we know how to exercise?

"Move your body. 30-60 minutes most days of the week. Have fun." I think that's closer - for so many of us, just getting off the couch can be a monumental change in behavior. Overly prescriptive and unrealistic exercise regimens can create undue pressure - an all or nothing attitude - that is counter productive. Your life won't be better if you buy this piece of exercise equipment, but if you get off the couch and play with your kids or walk the dog or pursue an activity you enjoy (or rediscover an activity that you enjoyed as a child) your life actually could be better.

What do you think? Am I on to something? More importantly, what would your exerciser's manifesto be?

Replies

• workoutqueen628
    Options
    Very interesting to read...i think you are onto something. In Defense of Food is on my list of books to read for this summer!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I think the one used by the Sport and Recreation Council here is a good one:

"Push Play"

http://pushplay.sparc.org.nz/
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    This is interesting. I am not very familiar with the Eater's Manifesto. It is difficult to say one thing or another- it is so obvious that everyone needs something specific. We look to others to reach our goals, don't we? Never look to ourselves to find the answers.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Mine would be: Have a goal other than simple weight loss. Actively work to achieve it every week. Have fun along the way.

I've found that having a fitness goal, like my current one: complete my first sprint triathlon, works much better for me than just "lose 5 lbs by x date." Some people can do that, but I can't. I'm much more into exercise than I am dieting (although I do strive to eat as healthfully as possible). I think you are onto something...30-60 minutes a day, most days is enough to keep you healthy--and it would be a wonderful change for most of America! "Have fun" is so important because if exercise isn't fun, people aren't likely to stick with it. I love your idea of going outside to walk the dog or play with the kids...it doesn't have to be 60 minutes on an elliptical to count as exercise!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    On the Disney Channel, they encourage kids to get up and move for 2 minutes every half-hour.
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree - I used to weight train heavily and set unrealistic goals for myself only to be disapppointed when I over-exerted and hurt myself and had setbacks and didn't look like the gym rats with trust funds that paid their bills (and bought their 'roids)...

I kind of like the NFL's "Play 60" campaign...just get out and move for 60 minutes a day...dance, mow your lawn, swim, run, bike, play with your kids, heck - just walk!...whatever it takes to get you moving for 60 minutes a day...

Right now I am shooting for 3 or 4 days a week of 60 minutes of activity...some days I get more (like when I golf) and that's good too...I eventually want to get to that 6 or 7 days a week level, but I do have a job, and a family, and other responsibilities that sometimes get in the way, so I am not going to beat myself up that I have to get 7 days in every week for the rest of my life or I have somehow failed...and as long as the weight keeps coming off, I know I am having success...
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your input. I like seeing the different slogans - Play 60, Push Play, etc. I think simple messages that resonate with people can really help.

I agree with Jeff (jdcole67) - if you are doing something and seeing progress you are successful. Personally, I'm trying to keep things fresh because I know that the activities that translate to progress now won't always be enough - especially as I get closer to my goal.

Chris