So...I guess I'm a success story now?

Options
kirlia
kirlia Posts: 81 Member
I still have 3 more lbs to go according to the ticker, but I kind of just decided on a random goal number based on standard BMI, and now that I'm at the size I'm at, I'm pretty much satisfied with myself. And my ultimate goal was just to be happy about my body, so this is definitely a success!

I lost 19 lbs 9 weeks by going raw vegan and doing circuit training at the gym 3-4 x per week. I realize that's a lot of weight to lose in a relatively short time (especially for somebody who didn't start out big), but I honestly wasn't trying to lose quickly, it just happened! And I can't say I'm upset about it :) My diet was definitely the biggest factor in the weight loss. I started going to the gym in October, but wasn't seeing any results, weight-wise until I changed my diet in November. Since then the lbs just started coming off like crazy. I started at 1200 calories, which I see so many people hating on, but I never really had any trouble with it. I know it was the quality of calories I was eating that was keeping me satisfied. Anyone who says calorie quality doesn't count for anything has no idea what they're talking about, straight up. Here's proof:

Standard American diet:
Mcdonald's large fries - 500 cals
Mcdonalds large coke - 310 cals
Mcdonald's big mac - 540 cals

Total: 1350 (but obviously not very satisfying, for more than a day's worth of calories!)

Annnnnd my diet (taken straight from my diary!)
Breakfast: nutmilk smoothie with banana, peanut butter, cocoa powder & chia seed - 465 cals

Lunch: tomato tofu (200g) - 235 cals
hummus (2 tbsp) - 70 cals
carrots (3 oz) - 40 cals
celery (100g) - 14 cals

Snack: pear (166g) - 100 cals

Dinner: kale & spinach salad w/ tomato, green pepper, mixed beans, crumbled tofu & flax seed - 226 cals
dressing (2 tbsp) - 50 cals

Total: 1200 on the dot! (Although it should be noted, this was a day without exercise - if I was going to the gym, I would definitely eat more)

In conclusion, of course 1200 calories a day isn't enough if you're eating like an idiot :) That said, I changed my goals from 1 lb/week to 0.5 after a month or so on here, and my calories went up, which I won't lie, I was very happy about (seeing as I love food)...I'm currently eating right around maintenance at 1500.

Anyway, my results! I started at body fat % 29.8, measurements 36-30-41; as of January 3, my body fat was down to 25.6% and my measurements were 35-26-37 (I'm due to update my stats next week, so they will be even better by then - hopefully!)

wow_zps817a193d-1_zps1ac26812.jpg

1st picture is November, 2nd is December, 3rd in January.

I know my story isn't as amazing as some because I didn't have a significant amount of weight to lose, but for that very reason I thought it would take me forever to lose 20 lbs - I'm so happy and proud that I did it in just over 2 months, by being totally healthy - because now I can start MAINTAINING and getting to eat all those extra, delicious calories!

I just want to say thank you to mfp - without the calorie counter and supportive people I've met on here, I don't think I would have been nearly as successful!

Edit: sorry the pictures too big! You can copy and paste into a new browser here: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/onefortytwo/wow_zps817a193d-1_zps1ac26812.jpg

Edit 2: ok I found out how to make it smaller
Untitled-1_zps444abbd2.jpg

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    amazing job! You look great!
  • kirlia
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Momto32010
    Momto32010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations! You look great!
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Of course it's an accomplishment when you have less to lose. That's not easy either!

If people start hating on you, whatever, they certainly don't have your figure!

PS how did you resize your pics?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I especially like your post for two reasons. 1. You stopped when you felt like you looked good, and you do. 2. You explained how you did it and why. Yes, 1200 calories for females, if managed with a healthy balanced diet, is not starvation. I have noticed that most of the people who lecture against 1200 calories are young, athletic males. ROFL!

Congrats on your success!:drinker:
  • runningwoodpecker
    Options
    You look great!!! How tall are you?
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulation On Success!

You really look beautiful, now hit the weight training and watch guys jaws dropping in summer.
  • rgagnon1
    rgagnon1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You look great! How tall are you?
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    well done!! incredible work done in such a short span..kudos to you!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for achieving your goal :smile:
  • kirlia
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

@ rgagnon and runningwood, I'm 5'5"

@ leketchup, the heaviest weights at my gym are only 14 lbs, but rest assured I'm using the heck out of them!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yes you are!! Be proud no matter what.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am really amazed by your transformation! When I am done being pregnant, I might just try to do what you did. How did you prepare the tofu? (no clue how you would even begin to cook that)

I especially love how you were able to CHANGE the shape of your hips/thighs/legs---something I've struggled with my whole life and just thought was totally unalterable!

How do you plan on maintaining this? Will you add meat/dairy/carbs back in? (Just curious!)

ETA: just noticed that you do have peanut butter, cocoa and beans (what are mixed?) in here for carbs. What about wheat/corn/rice? Will you add those?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You look amazing - and that IS a success story! Wow! Fantastic hard work - and very inspiring! (Also, you have TEH TASTIEST FOODS IN YER DIARY TOO!!!)
  • kirlia
    Options
    @ Toumani, sorry I missed your question before - I resized it at the image host where I uploaded it, I have no idea how to do that on mfp!

@ jehavin - OH GOSH, don't even get me started on tofu (most versatile food EVER)! For basic use, I throw it in smoothies (to make them creamier), and crumble it on top of pasta/salads to imitate cheese. Because it's so amazing at absorbing other flavours, I'll mix it up in a bowl with some spices or simple sauces for some extra deliciousness. I make a mean vegan egg salad by mixing a small block of tofu with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp chia seed, a clove or garlic, and 1/2 tsp of dill or basil. I'll also add a tbsp or 2 of fresh salsa to this in the morning and eat it as raw tofu scramble. Also you can get fermented tofu (tempeh) which has a bit of a stronger taste and texture, but is also super good for you. If you're not raw though, there's a whole lot more you can do with it! I COULD GO ON FOREVER ABOUT TOFU BECAUSE I LOVE IT SO! But I'll leave it at that. As for the maintenance plan, definitely not going back to meat, everrrrrrrr! (Nor dairy, I was actually already a longterm vegan when I started this.) I do get tons of carbs already though because I eat so many fruits and veggies, so I'm not concerned about adding wheat or rice or anything back. Honestly I thought I was going to do raw as a short term fix, but I really like it - the benefits of this lifestyle extend far beyond weight loss, so I'm going to stick with it, and take it even farther if I can!

@ quirkytizzy - speaking of my wonderful supportive mfp friends who I would not have been able to do this without... <3

I should have mentioned in the first post - feel free to add me if you'd like to see my diary (I'm not sure if you can see it publicly because my profile is private) or just to exchange general support!
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You look great! although you didnt have far to go the change is apparent. I actually would love to go vegan but not raw.
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    you look fantastic. great committment.
  • teddyintown
    Options
    You look really good! Congrats!!
  • fitjulz40in12
    fitjulz40in12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You are so correct. It is ALL about the type of calories you eat, not just the number. I am so happy to see you so successful. I myself am starting to make a change with getting better calories, not just less.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Congrat's!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!