Want to buy a stationary bike! Which kind do I get?

Options
I am looking for some advice about buying a stationary bike. I've been looking at several from Sports Authority...and at Sears. I definitely do NOT want a recumbant stationary bike, it hurts my back... and I DO want the magnetic resistance, not that 'fan' kind.

Does anyone have any experience with a stationary bike at home?? Which brand would you recommend I buy?

Thanks so much to anyone who has any advice to offer, I really appreciate it!!

Replies

• Jelywa
    Jelywa Posts: 13
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a regular bike and a trainer? I have a inexpensive mountain bike on a used bike trainer. It's smaller than a stationary bike, and I can still ride it outside if I want to. I was actually able to get the trainer for about $50 and the bike was second hand from my mom.
  • jenniebelle
    jenniebelle Posts: 12
    Options
    That's an interesting idea...hmmmmm....

Thanks!!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    I bought a Schwinn about three years ago from Joe's. It's a really nice bike. Too bad I never use it anymore!
  • dave280
    dave280 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes! the ultimate way, for the most application, but unfortunately, most $, get a good bike, weather you prefer a mountain or road or hybrid. get a fluid trainer, fluid trainers give interval type resistance based on speed and power rather than magnetic which is a constant resistance. also a spare rear riim to leave with trainer, now you can ride out the storm in the comfort of your home, but when your ready, you are now conditioned to your new machine, and you can take to the streets or trails with intensity.
    Ive tried both ways, stationary bikes seem more like.....physical therapy, and a bore.
  • MadHatR5
    MadHatR5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought a Schwinn recumbent about 10 years ago and love it! Haven't had one problem with it. Bought some cheap brand before that and it fell apart within a year.

See if you can try out a fluid trainer somewhere, maybe a local bicycle shop. I almost went this route but since my Schwinn won't die, haven't had the need.

Whatever you choose, make sure it is comfortable for you. If not, you won't use it.