diet plans you see on tv

Options
it makes me wonder what would happen if you try several of these stupid diets you see on tv. special k for two weeks? slim quick and hydroxycut pills? then the smoothies and supplement programs? then jenny craig and the nutrasystem programs? if you just picked a bunch and did them at once.. wonder if you would lose all the weight it claims?

im not supporting these programs! just makes me laugh when i hear these adds!

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Someone did do exactly that - can't remember her name but she was a TV presenter and she basically followed one fad diet after another and reviewed them all at the end. I will add it was not to endorse these diets, just to show first hand the affect they have and she was under very close medical supervision the whole time.

The result: She was constantly exhausted and starving, she had bad skin, she was irritable, and the tests from her doctors showed that it did her absolutely no good whatsoever, And just to top it off, she only lost a couple of lb that I should imagine went straight back on when she gorged herself on chips and pizza at the end of every diet.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am currently following the hairy bikers diet. They have lost 3stone each in 3 months. There recipes are amazing and all under 500 calories. Saw their TV programme about it over the christmas holidays and thought - Im having some of that! I started on 7th Jan and have currently lost 12lbs.

Ive been back in the gym which also helps but their meals are amazing, can't get enough of them :)
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have never heard of that diet? im open and listen to anything. but some of the stuff just seems too much. especially when you see in the small print that its not evaluated by the fda. and places that make prepackaged food seem to be crazy in the sense that do you want to be doing that the rest of your life?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The Hairy Bikers are a couple of TV chefs. They've come up with some good tasting recipes that have cut down on the calories. So it's not a TV diet plan as such, it is proper cooking meals from scratch.
  • kirstyfoy
    Options
    Basically they are a couple of UK chefs who were about 20stone. Obviously it is there job to come up with yummy recipes but they said that they were out of control with portions and drinking. So they have put together a cook book with receipes from breakfast through to dinner, replacement take away meals, lunch box ideas and every recipe is under 500 cals.

They did a series just after Christmas were others followed the diets too. They lost 3 stone each and look so much better.

Heres the link you can get online recipes or buy the cook book but all food is amazing!!! Couldnt recommend it enough.

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes?page=1&order=latest&type=all&from=1553&q=
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am currently following the hairy bikers diet. They have lost 3stone each in 3 months. There recipes are amazing and all under 500 calories. Saw their TV programme about it over the christmas holidays and thought - Im having some of that! I started on 7th Jan and have currently lost 12lbs.

Ive been back in the gym which also helps but their meals are amazing, can't get enough of them :)

They are brilliant and my kids love the pies from the pizza base mix.
  • kirstyfoy
    Options
    couldnt get hold of the pizza dough this week - i was going to make them!
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i made chicken low fat ones for me and steak ones for the kids, they preferred it to real pies,
  • tndejong
    Options
    that is different. if its a person or program that is trying to teach you how to cook better. that is something a person could use in the long term. im always looking for new recipes to try. i liked to cook even before my weight loss journey.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I agree. I wrote a paper once on how these products make people feel worthless until they buy it and try it. Either way you all know the big diet secret right? Eat less move more. Yep. That's my secret :) I should package and sell it. SIGH. Eating healthy is a challenge but so worth it. I must check out these hairy bikers. They sound fun! Thanks for sharing them with us :)
  • Gemz321
    Gemz321 Posts: 64
    Options
    They did do this on a show here in the uk. I think it was on super size vs super skinny, a female presenter did one diet each week, also different treatments. Such as the maple syrup diet, only eating apples, eating baby food diet etc etc. She never loosed a great amount, I believe she was also feeling grumpy a lot, tired and lethargic.
  • tndejong
    Options
    i was reading how an actor lost a ton of weight eating only tuna and an apple a day. that takes will power!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Basically they are a couple of UK chefs who were about 20stone. Obviously it is there job to come up with yummy recipes but they said that they were out of control with portions and drinking. So they have put together a cook book with receipes from breakfast through to dinner, replacement take away meals, lunch box ideas and every recipe is under 500 cals.

They did a series just after Christmas were others followed the diets too. They lost 3 stone each and look so much better.

Heres the link you can get online recipes or buy the cook book but all food is amazing!!! Couldnt recommend it enough.

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes?page=1&order=latest&type=all&from=1553&q=

Wow I came here for the topic about "diets" and found your comment - thanks so much for sharing, real food by real men, love the sound of this chocolate cake! I love watching them on TV, we get them here sometimes in Oz, they are great to watch. No diet about this cake, but that is what I like MFP for - manage your calories within your limits, no weird diets, shakes, etc needed.

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/chocolate-cake/1240
  • daveymck
    daveymck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Be careful what recipes you take from their site some of them are from their earlier books, bit of an omission them not having the calories for any of their recipes on there, one of the good things about the bbc good food site.