Need advice

Options
I am a 35 year old very active mother of four. I rarely sit down and work out 5 to 6 times a week. I have been on here a couple weeks now with no success. I love being on here, addicted to it really. My calories are sometimes on the low end but I do drink a lot of water, eat pretty healthy foods and I'm simply not hungry. I was up 5 pounds Saturday. I checked my food and realized I was extremely high on my sodium the day before. I eat a lot of salsa, which sense then I have been watching it closely. Four of those pounds came off in a couple days, which still put me up a pound. Now I am back up another pound, which is a total of 2 pound gain. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. If anyone wants to check out my food diary and lend some advice I would appreciate it.

Replies

• stacybc78
    stacybc78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I follow a low carb diet.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and your choices look healthy. I'm not one of those who thinks 1200 calories/day is too low, maybe you could add in more protein. Some nuts, or avacado to bring your calorie count up a bit. You say you are working out several times per week, which would require a bit more food. I can only tell you what worked for me. I believe you when you say your are satisfied with what you are eating, but anyone who works out and chases four little ones probably needs a bit more high quality protein. I personally follow the moderation in all things way of life and do not restrict any one food group, as it wouldn't be reasonable for me long term. I know I'm never going to live without certain things so I try to incorporate what I like in my choices.

You also have so little to lose and I can tell you taking off only 10 lbs. when you are small to begin with is a bit of a challenge.

I wouldn't worry about the 5 lbs. I can almost guarantee that is water related. Wishing you the best of luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are a very active mother to start and you add exercise. Unfortunately, you are NOT filling up the gas tank to allow your body to run properly. You probably need to set your account to lightly active to start, then set your account to 1/2 lb per week weight loss since you don't have much to lose and then on top eat additional calories when you exercise, generally 50% of them if MFP is calculating. Or you can set your account to very active and just aim to eat that daily. More than likely, it's going to be 2000+ calories. And yes, you can lose at those levels at TDEE is greater.

The weight the came off quick is just from reducing carbs, it's water weight. When you reduce carbs you reduce glycogen.

Also, if you want, post your stats, I can run some numbers for you. Also, why type of exercise do you do?
  • stacybc78
    Options
    Looked at your diary and your choices look healthy. I'm not one of those who thinks 1200 calories/day is too low, maybe you could add in more protein. Some nuts, or avacado to bring your calorie count up a bit. You say you are working out several times per week, which would require a bit more food. I can only tell you what worked for me. I believe you when you say your are satisfied with what you are eating, but anyone who works out and chases four little ones probably needs a bit more high quality protein. I personally follow the moderation in all things way of life and do not restrict any one food group, as it wouldn't be reasonable for me long term. I know I'm never going to live without certain things so I try to incorporate what I like in my choices.

You also have so little to lose and I can tell you taking off only 10 lbs. when you are small to begin with is a bit of a challenge.

I wouldn't worry about the 5 lbs. I can almost guarantee that is water related. Wishing you the best of luck!
  • stacybc78
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am already high on my protein. So I should add more?
  • stacybc78
    Options
    Psulemon, my eyes about popped out of my head at 2,000 calories. Seems like a lot. I'm pretty sure I have my activity level set on active. I will look. My stats are 137 pounds at 5"6'. I would like to get between 125 and 130. I usually do an hour on the treadmill at 4.0. I also do light weights and sometimes use the bow flex. Thank you!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy to you, but I think you might be better off building muscle than losing weight. You are already at a healthy weight, which means your body is going to fight you every step of the way. A lot of times, when women want to lose 10 pounds, they are looking for an aesthetic change, and not actually weight loss. The desired aesthetic result can be achieved through heavy weight lifting.

If you want to see examples of what I mean, you can search the forums for weight lifting success stories and posts about how "the scale lies."
  • stacybc78
    Options
    I see what you mean. I have an athletic build. I have always worked out, mostly. Until I had my last baby. Took a while off, while I lost the weight, I still am not toned and feel a little heavy.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just looked at a few days & I am NOT an expert...I struggle myself. But, I noticed that your calories are low on several days - like only 1,000 or so calories. I think you need to try to hit your goal in terms of calories. ( I wish you could donate the extra calories to me. lol) On one hand, I think it's great that you are that disciplined, but I do believe it's hindering your weight loss because your body is holding on thinking it's starving.
  • stacybc78
    Options
    Thanks. Maybe I can add small high calorie snacks a couple times a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Psulemon, my eyes about popped out of my head at 2,000 calories. Seems like a lot. I'm pretty sure I have my activity level set on active. I will look. My stats are 137 pounds at 5"6'. I would like to get between 125 and 130. I usually do an hour on the treadmill at 4.0. I also do light weights and sometimes use the bow flex. Thank you!

Based on your stats, I would have you around 1900 calories. I like my macro's around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats, but since you are doing lower carb, do 25% carb, 40% protein and 35% fats. Also, I would suggest switching your routine. Increase the bowflex to 3-4 days a week and lift heavy weights. To optimize strength gains, try to limit yourself to 10 reps of less. If you want to do 4 days, make one day an endurance/full body workout, so light weight/high weight. And then do about 2 days on the trend mill. A program high in resistance training will enable your body to maintain muscle and cut fat. Also, don' t worry so much about weight, worry about how you look in the mirror (the link below is what happens when you gain new muscle, so sometimes going through a bulk phase and then a cut phase will optimize results and look). Do this for a month, you should see some weight loss and progress in pictures/measurements. If you don't, repost here and we can evaluate this more. Also, if you want, add 250 calories a week, until you hit 1900 calories, to slow the amount of water weight you will gain. It is not uncommon to gain a little water weight when you add calories as you add carbs which store water. Your body will adapt within 4 weeks of being at 1900 calories, sometimes faster.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • stacybc78
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Psulemon. I'm scarred to not do the cardio. I can start off by treadmill 3 days and bow flex 2. I will see how that goes. I did have a snack, which I never do. I wish I didn't weigh every day. It's my downfall for sure. Thanks again!
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Your time of the month? Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day (mornings are best)? And yes, too much salt helps you retain water. Have your workouts been harder. maybe you are gaining muscle?
  • stacybc78
    Options
    No not my tom. I weigh myself mornings only. I'm now watching my sodium much more closely.