can you exercise too much?

Options
i hope this is not a stupid question. can you get to a point that being at the gym too much works against you? i have been working hard to lose weight. i find that i enjoy exercise and being active. i recently got a ymca membership and i have been going a lot. i also been trying new classes and doing things outside my comfort zone. when i started exercising, it was hard. now i really like it. and i have a ton of energy now. but can this play against you in any way? im not working at the moment. so its easy for me to have the spare time. so the fun of having the membership will wear off.

how many hours do you typically exercise?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE to exercise and don't want a day off. I really enjoy classes and running so I do them when I can. There is the possibility of overtraining so listen to your body. If you are feeling well, I say keep it up!

Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
    Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
    Pain in muscles and joints
    Sudden drop in performance
    Insomnia
    Headaches
    Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
    Decrease in training capacity / intensity
    Moodiness and irritability
    Depression
    Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
    Decreased appetite
    Increased incidence of injuries.
    A compulsive need to exercise
    from http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I typically exercise 7 1/2 to 8 hours a week and take one day off (normally Friday's for me). Mon-Thurs i spend an Hour after work at the gym, and on the weekend I put in about 2 hours each day. As side above to each their own as long as you listen to your body. :)
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Simply, yes. Your body needs time to recover and rebuild muscle. Make sure that you plan 1 or possibly 2 days off a week, especially if you are doing high-intensity work outs.

This is actually one aspect where listening to your body may not be a good thing. Your body could be feeling great and before you know it, you've done 10 days in a row of pretty high intensity work (been there, done that). And then you begin to feel the affects of over working out. So yes, you do need to listen to your body and rest if it is showing signs of over-training. But you also need to use your mind and make sure that you don't get to the point where you have over-trained.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    im not doing anything super strenuous. somethings i may push myself. or just have fun walking at my own pace on a treadmill. since ive been doing this, lot of my problems in the past have gone away. i sleep better now! i am busy instead of sitting on my butt at home and eating. and even in my spin class, i was not the show off. i did what i could and knew when to back off. i am not waking up in pain at all from anything.
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't overworking yourself...

On the other hand, I lost about 40 lbs a few months back by logging calories and exercising. I really, really got into it. I broke my ankle rollerblading, slowed down on the exercise, but still managed to lose a few more pounds. Eventually I stopped logging calories and exercising like I did.

I'm really getting into it again; however, my concern is that diet an exercise almost becomes an addiction. I like the idea of sticking to the challenge, visiting these types of forums, breaking a sweat and seeing results. It's not inherently bad, but if things change or we stop, I find that we have to have a plan to continue some form of exercise that is spread out.

It's as if I have to exercise 5 to 6 days a week or it ends up sliding away from me. Exercising every day keeps me at it. I find that I really get big time into it and do it all the time, but being that active isn't always feasible, and it's easy to fall off the wagon when things change. So, it's okay to do it all the time, but we have to have a plan for maintenance or life changes.

This time, I'm going to try practicing doing three days a week for health once I reach a reasonable maintenance weight, or else I'll just stop all together. It's like, all or nothing.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    the answer is yes but its extremely difficult to do.. its because of extra stress on the nervous system either because of extreme heavy lifting or excessive cardiovascular activity...

the main problem is you either under-eat or dont get proper sleep and recovery which leads to being overtrained and not normally because of your workout protocol.
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    im not doing anything super strenuous. somethings i may push myself. or just have fun walking at my own pace on a treadmill. since ive been doing this, lot of my problems in the past have gone away. i sleep better now! i am busy instead of sitting on my butt at home and eating. and even in my spin class, i was not the show off. i did what i could and knew when to back off. i am not waking up in pain at all from anything.

If you're not doing anything super strenuous, then you probably won't get into a situation where your body gets overworked. However, if you do start to up the intensity of your workouts - if you start running, cycling, or lifting weights, then you'll have to have an off day. However, an off day doesn't mean that you are laying on the couch eating potato chips - an off day could include a nice casual walk.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you exercise too much? Yes. But it's got less to do with what you are doing in the gym than most people think. So many people say something like, I exercise 19 times per week for 47 hours at a time. Is that too much? What you are doing is almost irrelevant to the question. What really matters is whether or not you are giving your body enough food and sleep. Those are the things that factor most into the discussion.

For people who lift really heavy, there is some conversation to be had about CNS recovery, but admittedly I'm a bit skeptical about that whole topic and vastly under-informed to have any real meaningful opinion.