Discouraged & Frustrated

Options
I have lost a total of 18 lbs since October ( clap, clap, clap )! However, for the past 3 weeks I have been continuing to follow the program, very rarely use any of the extra calories I've earned which on an average is approximately 3-500 every day! I am always within my calorie count - the odd time I'm over on my protein and I have NOT budged now for 3 weeks in a row. Just had my blood work all done and everything is good including thyroid & sugar levels. What is going on? I still am approx. 15 lbs overweight according to my height & age etc. and I want to lose that extra 15 lbs! Any suggestions?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I can see your age from your profile, but not your height or your current weight.

Weight doesnt come off in a nice straight line, sadly. It sounds like what you're doing is good, as you've lost since October. Dont worry about going over on protein, the MFP defaults are very low. What's your exercise routine?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories.

by creating too large a deficit, losing weight becomes more difficult and your body will start to burn muscle for energy instead of fat.
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It could be that you hit a plateau... It happens. Just keep at it and it will happen.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The more weight you lose and the more in shape you get, the more calories you NEED to consume because your body is working more efficiently. Start eating alll your exercise calories and see what happens after 2 weeks or so. :happy: Remember, if you make any big change in your workout routine or diet, your body needs time to adjust and for you to see it on the scale. I've heard it said that what you see on the scale is from work you did 2 weeks ago, so if you do change something, give it time before you call it quits and try something else!

Also, reevaluate what you're eating. If you've been eating the same thing (or not enough variety), your body might just be getting accustomed to it and needs something else to push the weight. Eat more fiber, drink more water, more fruits & veggies (and different than you typically eat - or just eat more of a variety). Your body will get used to anything you do to it, so don't stick with the same ol' same ol' for too long!

Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You've lost weight and your bloodwork is good. As long as you're eating enough, I say keep it up.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try switching up your workout program. Your body gets used to what you are doing .
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You may be on a plateau. We all go through this and it is frustrating. Do something to "shock" your body. Eat back some or all of those calories back one day then eat exactly your level the next. Do that for a few days and see if it gets your body out it's plateau. You may want to have one day where you eat over a few hundred calories and again, eat the exact amount. Weight watcher followers sometimes do this with their points. It's called the Wendy plan. Look it up and try it but with calories. Switching up high and low calorie/point days has worked for me in the past. Hang in there! Believe me when I say we've all reached this point or will.

:)
    Kimberly
  • jhunny31
    Options
    The dreadful plateau. I think that probably has to the worse feeling in trying to lose weight. You work extra hard all week, you even eat better and yet the scale don't budge. So pretty much just go by your clothes, add an additional 10-15 minutes to your workout and see if that makes a difference. Also I'm told that an increase in water helps but I'm never good at sticking to that rule. Good lunk.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    The problem is that you are not eating the extra calories. You are ending up 3-500 BELOW your net due to this. A diet with insufficient calories will cause initial weight loss, then stall. You need to actually follow the program, which means eating most of your exercise calories.
  • hollywood32701
    hollywood32701 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there…..I am sorry you are frustrated. You may be building muscle which does weigh more than fat. Also, you may want to change up your cardio and strength training routines to get your body off the plateau. Also, I have known many body builders increase their calorie intake once a week to kick of their metabolism. Keep up the good work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal, weight loss slows down. And NOT eating the correct amount of calories can slow it down even more. If your body senses too low an intake, it WILL reduce it's own metabolic rate. So make sure you eat those "extra" calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you are not eating the extra calories. You are ending up 3-500 BELOW your net due to this. A diet with insufficient calories will cause initial weight loss, then stall. You need to actually follow the program, which means eating most of your exercise calories.
    This, your weight loss has probably stalled because you aren't eating back your exercise calories, thus not hitting you daily NET calorie goal.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to start eating your exercise calories back. Also, if you are only 15lbs from goal, you might need to change your goal calorie deficit to only 1/2lb a week (if you haven't already!). The closer you get to goal, the closer to maintenance you should set your calorie requirements.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sxg196
    sxg196 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! My height is 5'4". I swim, walk, aerobics, snowshoe, zumba class - a good variety! I see where a lot of people are suggesting I eat back my calories I gain from exercise. I haven't done that yet - maybe that's worth a try. Have been afraid to do that as weight loss has always been so difficult for me I was afraid I would put the weight back on so was trying to stay within my 1300 calories MFP has allowed me.
  • sxg196
    Options
    So many of you responded with eating my extra calories back that I can't dismiss that advice! I've been scared to do that as I thought I would gain but someone mentioned I'm under just the amount of extra calories I have so I reviewed my last weeks postings and she is absolutely right. However, when I eat my extra calories I go over in my fats & carbs - that fine line!! Thanks though for all the great info' - will definitely try eating my extra calories for a couple of weeks and see what happens!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! My height is 5'4". I swim, walk, aerobics, snowshoe, zumba class - a good variety! I see where a lot of people are suggesting I eat back my calories I gain from exercise. I haven't done that yet - maybe that's worth a try. Have been afraid to do that as weight loss has always been so difficult for me I was afraid I would put the weight back on so was trying to stay within my 1300 calories MFP has allowed me.

I think the bolded parts above may be where the problem may have come from. If you're that active, did you set MFP as "dude, I'm actually doing a lot of workouts" or "Boo, I sit at a desk and am a slug"..?

Maybe change try changing the activity level on MFP. Also, when you set up the account, did you set a 2lb/week goal? Could've skewed the number that you've been given to start with.
  • sxg196
    Options
    I had my settings for active and then I changed them to lightly active because I wasn't doing as much heavy lifting, gardening etc. Maybe I should set them back to active again and see what happens. Thanks for the input and congrats on your weight loss! Amazing job!!