Weekend away - weight gain, grrrrr

Options
Just wanted to vent, I spent the weekend at my Mum's and although she knows I'm trying to eat healthy her version of that is feeding me potato salad with full fat mayo, wine every night, they only have full fat milk and butter, cakes, chocolate pudding etc. So I've put on 2lbs of the 7lbs I lost and now I feel a bit crap!! Am back on it today now I'm home but I feel all disheartened. I know I could have said no but she's my Mum and I kind of have to eat what she gives me as I've not got the money to buy anything else!!!!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It is most likely water weight which will go away shortly.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't eat a full extra 7000 calories (2 lbs) on top of your normal calorie needs, so part of that is probably extra water retention from too much sodium... which means it should hopefully disappear in a few days

Even if not, don't worry! There are always going to be times when you can't control your food choices

Just get back on track and give it some time, you'll be fine :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't eat a full extra 7000 calories (2 lbs) on top of your normal calorie needs, so part of that is probably extra water retention from too much sodium... which means it should hopefully disappear in a few days

Even if not, don't worry! There are always going to be times when you can't control your food choices

Just get back on track and give it some time, you'll be fine :)

This...more likely is that the food was rather high in sodium and you are retaining water. It's pretty difficult to actually add 2 lbs of actual fat weight in a single day. That would be 7,000 calories above your maintenance level (not your MFP goal level)...assuming your maintenance level of calories is around 2,000 or so, that would mean you would have had to consume 5,500 calories per day for two straight days to gain 2 Lbs of actual fat.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's moslty water and sodium, it will go away...As it is your mom and you won't have her forever, enjoy the home food...But you don't have to have seconds on the potato salad of huge pieces of cakes or bottles of wine....That is your choice...
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It happens!

Today is a new day.

Grab your saddle and get back on the horse!

Giddy up and good luck!
  • torlissa
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm not letting one setback wreck everything for me! I was actually there Friday afternoon until Monday morning so it was a good few days but hopefully some will come off. Thanks again and good luck to all of you! xx
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    go work it off.
  • torlissa
    Options
    I think you were all right about it being water weight, it has all come off by this morning!!! :)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It's a journey.

Kinda like a stock chart... Sometimes it goes up. Sometimes it goes down. The goal, over time, is that it trends in the right direction.

Enjoy the journey and don't forget to drink a little wine along the way.

My observation of many on a weight loss journey is that they:
    * don't give themselves grace during set backs
    * focus solely on arbitrary weight loss goals and not fitness/lifestyle
    * forget to enjoy and celebrate the journey

"The more we celebrate in life, the more in life there will be to celebrate!"

Good luck!
  • mklassy123
    Options
    There are always going to be weekends, events, holidays, etc... that make us go off track of our regular eating. It happens to EVERYONE. Even naturally skinny people (yes, they do exist somewhere) have weekends where they gain a few pounds. People who have had very successful weight loss journeys who have maintained it for years have bad weekends. The key to success is to not beat yourself and get right back on track. You will have weekends like that again.

Feeling bad about it makes things worse. There's no reason to feel bad about it. What's that word that we all are? HUMAN.