Starvation Mode

Options
I'm confused.

The website here tells me to limit my intake to 1,200 calories per day for my height/weight/activity level. Yesterday I completed my food intake and I was at about 1,170 calories. I thought that was pretty good. I felt satisfied (not hungry at all) but the website alerted me that if I continued to eat this way I would push my body into starvation mode.

I don't understand that.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Type starvation mode into the search feature and spend the rest of the day reading about it.
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How many calories did you set for yourself on your diary here?
  • WilhelmCF
    WilhelmCF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may be the MFP calculation for your body type/activity level to reach a specific weight goal but it is also the limit, I believe, doctors recommend for adult women of most body types. I am male, weigh 209 but get the same warning when I have a below 1200 calorie day. If you are concerned, ask your medical practitioner. Best of luck on your goals.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    30 calories off the target is nothing to worry about. There's an estimation or approximation in everything you've recorded in your food log.

One day under 1200 is no big deal either.

An extended period of time eating well under 1200 calories will mean that your body will struggle to get all the nutrients it needs, and might start messing with your metabolism, so that's to be avoided.
  • Ashlilee
    Options
    Thanks! I'm 5'2 and I currently weigh 156. I entered into the site here that I want to lose 1lb a week and it automatically calculated me at 1,200 calories. I work in an office and I am primarily sedentary during the day and then I attend school all evening. I thought 1,200 was fine, I'm not hungry and I'm not having any rapid weight loss. I was surprised to see the warning on there. I'll keep an eye on it. WilhelmCF, I will take your advice and follow up with my regular physician. Appreciate your responses.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows that you have 5lbs to lose. If that is your goal, you should set your weight loss to 0.5 lbs per week to lose. This should give you more wiggle room in your calories. It's not a race to get the weight off, and it's usually harder to lose those last few pounds. Also if you do workout, you should be eating those calories back.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm 5'2 and I currently weigh 156. I entered into the site here that I want to lose 1lb a week and it automatically calculated me at 1,200 calories. I work in an office and I am primarily sedentary during the day and then I attend school all evening. I thought 1,200 was fine, I'm not hungry and I'm not having any rapid weight loss. I was surprised to see the warning on there. I'll keep an eye on it. WilhelmCF, I will take your advice and follow up with my regular physician. Appreciate your responses.

Try using the other MFP tool which is under the APP tab. It is called a BMR calculator. Calculate your BMR, (Basal Metabolic Rate) this is the amount of calories they would feed you in hospital if you were in a coma as it is the amount of calories your body needs just to support your vital organs. This may help you to decide what calorie goal you want to aim for. If you google BMR you will see plenty of information about its importance.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Ashlilee
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not sure why my ticker shows I need to lose 5lbs. I set it to 20lbs, that's what my doctor told me to lose. At my height he said I should be under 135. I will need to reset my ticker. Sandra, I'll check out the BMR calculator. Thanks for that tip!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Type starvation mode into the search feature and spend the rest of the day reading about it.

You could spend next month reading about it on this site doing that!