sugars in fruit

Options
What's the deal with sugars from fruit? Is it ok to go over my daily allowance in sugar if it comes from fruit? If I'm working out daily then I'm using that sugar for energy, is that right?

I'm just confused because I had a large red delicious apple as a part of my breakfast and it had 25g of sugar. It just seems like a lot since I'm only allotted 38g, per MFP.

Help me understand this please.

Replies

• CallMeWifey
    CallMeWifey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    In not an expert but I think natural sugars are fine. I eat a ton of fruit and stay lean.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Sugar is Sugar...It's not going to harm you...If your goal is weight loss then focus on 1.)creating your calorie deficit 2.)Getting a good protein intake to preserve muscle 3.) Lift weights to preserve/add possibly add some if you are new to it 4.) Adding Cardio as needed or desired to make sure you are in a calorie deficit.

Personally, I'm eating 90 grams of sugar most days and I'm losing fine. If you peruse these boards some of the most in shape people are eating ice cream every day. Overall intake over time is what matters. Looking at your ticker it looks like you are doing fine.
  • binderde
    Options
    Sugar from fruit as far as I know is not a big deal. I don't really count those towards my sugar intake for the day.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    it's not the same as eating table sugar. The aple has fiber and that causes slower absorption.

Think of it this was. Table sugar is abosrobed quickly and natural sugar, as in apples is processed.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sugar is Sugar no matter where it comes from, but if you were told by a Dr. to watch your Sugar you will want to pay attention to your Sugar number. I eat lots of fruits and go over my Sugar EVERYDAY, but I just really focus on my Calories, Fat and Sodium. I am over on Protein and Sugar almost everyday!
  • tbogenrief
    tbogenrief Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't count the sugar in fruit and it seems to be working so far. The sugars are contained in the natural fiber and everything else in the fruit so it is released more evenly. I eat 2 bananas, a couple of oranges, a couple of apples, and a few other varieties during the course of a day and I stay full, still lose weight, and have plenty of energy.
  • amberdust
    Options
    i've read somewhere that you shouldn't eat more then 25 grams of ADDED sugar, that includes sugars you'd put in your oatmeal, or cereal, or tea or coffee. or sugars in junk food like candy and ice cream. (although ice cream you can probably divide that by about 1/3 and take 2/3 because some of that sugar is natural from milk and cream) read the ingredients, if it says something like sugar, or corn syrup, or honey you'll need to watch that amount. if its just from fruits and vegetables you really don't need to pay attention to it.
  • crystallight711
    crystallight711 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic don't worry about the sugar in fruit. Many professionals will even tell you not to count it if it came from a whole food. Try to stay away from things that have added sugar (which includes a lot of commercially made fruit juice).