For those who stopped drinking...

Options
Did you find that you lost weight a lot faster? I'm giving up alcohol for a few months (except for my bday!). Going on vacation in April and would love to lose 30lbs.

Please tell me if it made a difference.

Thank you!

Replies

• mklassy123
    Options
    Huge difference, although I didn't cut out alcohol altogether, just cut it down significantly. I can't say I was a huge drinker before but I would drink a few beers a few times a week, drink a glass of wine or two with dinner. Now I maybe drink a few glasses of wine a week but not if I have plans for the weekend, then I save my few glasses for the weekend. No beer. If I have a glass of wine I count it in my calories on MFP. The weight for the first two weeks in January barely budged, but now all of a sudden the weight is coming off. On the weekends that I do drink, my weight loss is stalled for the next week.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it has also helped me. If not only from the less calories from the drink itself, but let's be honest, don't chips sound great with beer and cheese with wine? or chocolate and nuts with wine.... THiS is why I am overweight. I have cut this down to a rarity...
    life was too good on the couch at night at times.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I gave up last month - apart from two nights (i'm extending my dryathlon to make up for it)

I do think it helped but it took a month to kick in, be patient.
  • forzawithin
    Options
    I used to drink 2 - 3 glasses of red wine a night and cocktails on some weekends. I cut down to 2 -3 glasses a week and hardly ever have a cocktail. I think it has made a big difference.
    If I do have a glass, I include it in my calories consumed. Even though we all already know they are empty calories, it is crazy to see how booze actually piles up like that on screen.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking almost two years ago (it'll be two on Feb. 8th) and I definitely lost weight without trying. I was drinking about 3 liters of wine everyday so that cut out a significant number of calories.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. I like to drink wine and there are tons of calories in one glass. Plus, I've recently started measuring my wine (on the rare occasion I have some) and found that my typical serving was larger than the 5oz serving I was reporting. I can't lose weight when I drink regularly. It gets me in many ways - first of all the calories. Then second, I feel lethargic and don't want to get up and exercise. Double edged sword!

One thing that this site has given me was the idea to consume lower calorie alcoholic beverages when I do drink. So I have mostly switched to spiced run with soda water (around 60 cals) as opposed to a glass of wine (around 115 cals) when I do drink.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Awhile back...I started drinking more heavily and could not drop weight and started gaining pretty regularly...But I wasn't tracking my intake.

I think you can still drink alcohol in moderation and if its considered part of your overall intake and you are creating a calorie deficit you can.

I think the biggest problem you have is when your intake is restricted to lose weight, it may be harder to get your other food needs in (protein, fruit, veggies, etc.). I eat something like Peanut Butter or Sherbert or Pizza every once in a while but that could just as easily be replaced with Beer or Wine (or whatever your drink of choice is).
  • DWF65203
    Options
    I haven't had a drink since I started on myfitnesspal. I am too obsessed with the calories right now and hate to waste them on alcohol. I will, of course, make an exception for the Super Bowl.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has been the same, but my lifts have been doing better.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking almost two years ago (it'll be two on Feb. 8th) and I definitely lost weight without trying. I was drinking about 3 liters of wine everyday so that cut out a significant number of calories.

Well done for giving that up! I'm really impressed.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think it helps tremendously. I have not had a drink of alcohol in about 9 months.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would also add that getting in the gym and working out daily has curbed my appetite to where I don't really desire to drink ATM.

I am going on a ski trip next week, so that will likely change...:smile:
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Huge difference, although I didn't cut out alcohol altogether, just cut it down significantly. I can't say I was a huge drinker before but I would drink a few beers a few times a week, drink a glass of wine or two with dinner. Now I maybe drink a few glasses of wine a week but not if I have plans for the weekend, then I save my few glasses for the weekend. No beer. If I have a glass of wine I count it in my calories on MFP. The weight for the first two weeks in January barely budged, but now all of a sudden the weight is coming off. On the weekends that I do drink, my weight loss is stalled for the next week.
    My partner and I have found same as this though don't drink more at weekends so no stall- in fact our tolerance has gone down so not a good idea to up it then!
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels was just on Dr. Oz saying booze has no place in anyone's diet plan. It is totally counter-productive with the calories, sugar, and carbs. I have definitely cut back since I started this journey, and I'm happy with my results. But I will indulge every now and then at a gathering!
  • considermac
    Options
    Yes it made a huge difference for me. For the me the drinking also made me eat more. I only have a drink one day a week (typically Saturdays) and the weight is coming off and I am gaining muscle. I wish I would have done this years ago.

:smile:
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My problem with drinking is after a drink or 2 I would eat.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's basically something I just can't fit in my diet most of the time. As a bonus, I now get buzzed on two beers.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 days sober today!

I noticed I'm sleeping MUCH better which means I have more energy to work out. I don't feel bloated or sluggish.

My skin is also really clear too.

I'm snacking more, which I don't like (emotional drinking/emotional eating are basically the same thing) but I'm conscious of it and I stop myself before it gets out of hand.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was drink 3 to 4 bottles a couple of nights a week that I found out where 400 cals a piece. I haven't had any more a month now, including Soda as well and the changes are amazing! I have only lost 11lbs so far but my stomach is not bloated and sticking out any more.