New at this. Need advice on calories.

Options
Hey everybody. I'm 5'8 and not huge but not little :) I'm also female. I'm trying to do 1200 calories but it's too hard, especially with exercise. If I do 1400, I can't tell a difference. I tracked for a week and didn't lose a pound. It's kind of discouraging. Thanks for the input!

Replies

• Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    Options
    Well hello :)

I guess it's important to take into consideration how much you are working out, and the quality of calories you are eating. Try to fill up on things that don't have too many calories that are good for you.... Brocoli, peas, carrots etc. Drinks LOTS of water. And try to check your food up really good. I think 1200 calories might be too little, expecially if you are going to the gym. It can cause your body to think you are starving it, and you will not see weight loss.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    Options
    **chew your food up really good.... not CHECK. sorry :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you didnt put all the weight on in a week, so you need to give it longer to get it off again!
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with 1200 calories, too. That's usually my goal, but I tend to go over about 100 - 150 calories, and am still losing so far. I think you need to do what works for your body. If 1400 is not doing anything, you'll have to go down. I try to fill up on soups, salads, fruits, and veggies (maybe dipped in a little ranch!), greek yogurt. And I have a huge sweet tooth, so I'll have a "dessert" after lunch and dinner, but it will be something low cal and filling like hot cocoa packets or milk with a fiber one brownie.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    you didnt put all the weight on in a week, so you need to give it longer to get it off again!

This.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and built like a linebacker with boobs... I don't mind being low cal, but I found 1200 too low. I aim for 1300-1400/day. Those 100ish extra calories made a difference to how I feel, but not too my weight loss. 1300 seems to be my magic number. I can go 20 cals less, and up to 50 cals over, and see great results with my weight. 1400+ my weight loss slows. Below 1280, and my weight loss stalls.
    I also need to keep a certain intensity to my workouts. If I work out so much that I get tired and half butt my way through it, I slow down on weight loss. If I choose easier ones too often, same thing. I've found a great combination of cardio and resistance that works well for me.
    Track your calories and excercise relgiously, and you will find what works for you.