stupid, stupid non-budging scale

Options
So I've only had two weigh-ins this month (I do it once a week and didn't start on here until 1/16 or so) and I have gained weight. I know, I know, it's early. And I know, I know, it might be muscle. But I'm so tired of only gaining (not the first time this has happened, believe me) that it's making me want to give in to my quitter nature. I need motivation! A little about me: 28 years old (29 in July), 5'7", 161 lbs. I want to be at or very near 130 by August 24, my wedding day. I did Insanity last year and saw no changes -- no weight lost, no inches lost. Motivation?

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like? You can't out exercise a bad diet. Most of your weight loss is going to come from the kitchen not the gym.

Yes it's been too soon. There is always a possibility of weight gain when starting a new workout program.
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eat the right foods and find an exercise you can live with for the rest of your life. I've been on a plateau for a couple months and just am now breaking through. I've paid attention to where my calories are coming from (i.e., fresh foods, lower fats [not fat free], planning and tracking) as well as continuing my exercise program, which for me is two-fold. I have had two knee replacements and I exercise in the water. I mix it up between classes and swimming laps, and try not to do the same exact thing over and over. It works for me.

You'll find your magic, but never give up. You're changing your life, not just losing weight.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think you look good and don't need to lose weight.
  • Em05us
    Em05us Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im not sure exactly whats going on but i want to reply to your quitter nature. Never quit. What you are doing now is better than before.
    A few things to remember
    No matter how slow you are going you are lapping everyone on the couch! (This is addressing your weight loss)
    And never give up on something because of the time it will take to accomplish it because the time will pass anyway!

I would strive to eat healthy and exercise! And that will make a HUGE difference even if you dont see it on the scale right away!
  • Em05us
    Em05us Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im not sure exactly whats going on but i want to reply to your quitter nature. Never quit. What you are doing now is better than before.
    A few things to remember
    No matter how slow you are going you are lapping everyone on the couch! (This is addressing your weight loss)
    And never give up on something because of the time it will take to accomplish it because the time will pass anyway!

I would strive to eat healthy and exercise! And that will make a HUGE difference even if you dont see it on the scale right away!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint and Mark's Daily Apple - it's a change you can stick to for life (make sure to read up on "carb flu"). Check out the Archives. Read about Mark. There a hundreds of success stories (new one posted each Friday - yes they are real people. Trying to lose, gain, or just get healthy. It's a whole lifestyle. Did you know that sleep habits are more closely correlated with overweight and obesity than caloric intake or physical activity? Stress plays a major role in weight and health. In fact, all that chronic high intensity cardio just stresses the body out more. And doing it daily means no time for the body to heal (exercise breaks the body down and the gains happen during recovery.

Overweight and obesity means something is broken on the inside (metabolic damage). It doesn't mean you couldn't control your eating and couldn't get up off the couch (Why is it when kids are sitting there reading it's fine but if they're sitting there watching TV or playing video games they're being lazy. What's the difference?)

And what breaks us on the inside comes from what we put in our mouth. You just can't take a whole food, rip it apart, break it down and add stuff back. Do you really think the body is going to treat it the same way? Not to mention all the dyes, chemicals, additives, etc.

Get yourself healthy on the inside and the rest will just happen. It won't be overnight. It can take years. But you can fix your body. Good luck.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I have a fairly good diet (you can check if you'd like) and I think I work out fairly well. I do plan on doing more once it gets warmer out -- winter in Michigan is sort of prohibiting, you know? It's just that I've steadily gained weight for the past five years and I want so much to be even close to where I used to be. I'm going to keep working at it, and hopefully my quitter nature won't win this time. Thanks, MFP world! You all are really helping. :-) :heart:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Your food looks fine other than youre not eating enough of it. If youre going to eat 1200 calories a day then you need to eat that. 1200 calories is a minimum that you should be eating. You have too many days at 900 or under. This can stall your weight loss. And also is fairly unhealthy for you. Days you exercise you should eat 1/2 or all of your exercise calories back. The deficit is already built in for you. You dont need to worry about it messing up your calorie deficit.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Your food looks fine other than youre not eating enough of it. If youre going to eat 1200 calories a day then you need to eat that. 1200 calories is a minimum that you should be eating. You have too many days at 900 or under. This can stall your weight loss. And also is fairly unhealthy for you. Days you exercise you should eat 1/2 or all of your exercise calories back. The deficit is already built in for you. You dont need to worry about it messing up your calorie deficit.

You know, I've only been on here a couple weeks and I am learning that everything I thought I knew was wrong. If you read any women's health/beauty magazine it will say to burn more than you take in. Any men's health magazine says the opposite. It's confusing! Not to say that I get my information from magazines (I do NOT) but you know what I mean: the information is conflicting. I want to be healthy, but I want to be skinny. I think I can be both. So tonight, after I work out, I'm going to have a kickass protein-filled sandwich and a glass of wine. And I'm going to pay attention to my numbers a little more, and remind myself that even though a very low calorie diet worked in my past, I'm no longer 22, off the Pill and working a physical job. I'm 28, at a desk job, and five years on birth control. I'm an adult! I should eat like one. :smile:
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I want to be healthy, but I want to be skinny. I think I can be both. So tonight, after I work out, I'm going to have a kickass protein-filled sandwich and a glass of wine. And I'm going to pay attention to my numbers a little more, and remind myself that even though a very low calorie diet worked in my past, I'm no longer 22, off the Pill and working a physical job. I'm 28, at a desk job, and five years on birth control. I'm an adult! I should eat like one. :smile:
    [/quote]

Ha ha. You are I have ONE MIND.:laugh: Eat like you mean it!
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I want to be healthy, but I want to be skinny. I think I can be both. So tonight, after I work out, I'm going to have a kickass protein-filled sandwich and a glass of wine. And I'm going to pay attention to my numbers a little more, and remind myself that even though a very low calorie diet worked in my past, I'm no longer 22, off the Pill and working a physical job. I'm 28, at a desk job, and five years on birth control. I'm an adult! I should eat like one. :smile:
    [/quote]

Ha ha. You are I have ONE MIND.:laugh: Eat like you mean it!
    [/quote]

Love it! :happy:
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options

Seriously, this guy. I stalled weight loss wise at 130 for two months. Started eating 1500-1600 calories a day and after about three weeks of doing that another three lbs came off. My BMR is 1400 so I know on a daily basis I have to eat at least that. It's hard mentally to wrap your mind around eating more to lose more but it worked for me!