Feet tingling during workout

Options
I'm new and over weight. I tried the elliptical for the first time yesterday. I did it on the lowest resistance and the cross ramp wasn't too high either. I did 10 mins and 5 for a cool down.
When I did the elliptical yesterday, my feet started to tingle... like they're falling asleep. Is this cuz I'm over weight? Doing something wrong? bad shoes? It didn't carry over onto the treadmill ....
Thoughts? Feedback?
If it helps, this machine didn't make my arms move. I notice there are some kinds which move the arms as well as the legs.

Replies

• GlowstickGirl
    GlowstickGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this happens to me sometimes if I don't have the stride length adjusted properly on the elliptical. But I couldn't say for sure whether that's your issue.
  • pinkandgreen111
    Options
    AAhhh.... I didn't know I could adjust the stride length. That's something to remember when I try it again. Thank you.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've had this and been told 2 different thing by pretty knowledgeable people. 1) Your shoelaces are too tight. Loosen up the area especially by your toes. 2) in the case of an elliptical or a stationary bike, your toes might be too "pointed" (aka not at the right angle to maintain circulation) You could either adjust the stride, work on a 90degree angle while pedaling or take breaks every 10 minutes to "shake out" your feet/legs to restore proper circulation.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact answer to this, but I have noticed that if I have shoes with too much toe room my feet tend to slide and cause my toes to actually cramp up or lose full circulation. You may try getting shoes that fit a little better in the toe area.
  • pinkandgreen111
    Options
    More good advice! Thanks. I will check my shoelaces too. Also, good to know I am not the only one who has experienced this. :bigsmile:
  • My legs tingle for 3- 5 minutes after a 60+ min jog. I do need new shoes so I tried jogging without shoes on triple carpet and I still feel the tingles in my thighs. I think it is probably due to blood circulating. Any other ideas?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me, my shoes were the problem.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Try leaning back on your foot a bit. I normally do 25-30 minutes on the ARC trainer and my feet can fall asleep if I am not standing just right.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I know for me, I have a narrow walking and running stance (I kick myself). The elliptical forces the position of my feet and therefore hips farther apart and it puts pressure on my limbs in a different way. But that's me. Before discovering this I tried everything, loosening my shoelaces, hydrating better, fixing the position of my feet. I just came to accept that I can only handle being on an elliptical for 10-20 minutes.