I want to scream

Options
We are doing a weight loss challenge at work and when I weighed in last week I weighed 207 and this week it says I weigh 210.8. Seriously? I have been under my calories almost every day the past week and have been working out. I really don't understand. I know I haven't eaten enough to gain 3.8 pounds in a week. I want to scream! This is so frustrating for me.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles, too much sodium, or that time of the month.. I'd imagine it's water retention. Drink up, and you'll have that gain gone in no time!
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I normally only drink water now. Sometimes I'll have a 90 calorie can of coke but besides that I have never really been fond of pop. I'll try to drink more though and actually track my water intake =) Thank you!
  • stevenleeryan
    stevenleeryan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have to remember that the time you weight in is important. Best time is right when you wake up this is when your dehydrated. You can gain 5 pounds thought the day, do get discouraged, get busy. I hope I helped, plus if your exercising your on the right path.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles retain more water. it's normal to gain a bit when you start a new workout rutine.. It'll go back to normal in a couple of weeks
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    I just did a NSV post about my bra being looser so I had to go in to the middle hook from the last hooks so I know something is working. It would just be nice to see it on the scale as well.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I just did a NSV post about my bra being looser so I had to go in to the middle hook from the last hooks so I know something is working. It would just be nice to see it on the scale as well.

I understand completely. I'm heading into the 3rd week of being at the same number on the scale. I was sick (TOM, stomach flu and head cold all at once) from Sunday until yesterday, so I know that's a part, but in 2 weeks, I've lost 1.5 inches (15.75 gone total), so it's working, but jeez, scale, MOVE! haha
  • violetcoyne
    Options
    You will gain muscle so at first it will be more weight. I learned that the hard way also. I hoped this helped you.
  • rebeccamcarthur1
    rebeccamcarthur1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You want to eat as close to your daily limit as you can you don't want to not enough because your body will go into starvation mode and start storing. Keep your head up. Hard work and determination will pay off. There have been times in the morning I weight myself and then at night I weigh myself and it says that I have gained 4 lbs through the day. What worked for me is I picked one day out of the week that is my weigh in day and I weigh myself right after I get up in the am. Good Luck! You can do this.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and your tips.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Its water. We know it is not fat, I doubt you consumed 10,000 excess cals this week.

Relax it is water. Your working out, and sore muscles retain water.

Weight loss is not linear. Stay with it...and relax.
  • lmarbley
    lmarbley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me this week, but we have to keep on moving. I know it will be better next...I hope. Keep up the good! It will pay off soon.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Its water. We know it is not fat, I doubt you consumed 10,000 excess cals this week.

Relax it is water. Your working out, and sore muscles retain water.

Weight loss is not linear. Stay with it...and relax.

Relax.. it will be my new mantra lol
  • kittycatface
    Options
    I hate the scale...I can wake up feeling awesome and get on the scale...just to have it crush my dreams :sad: I have learned the hard way that daily weigh ins are NOT productive. Too many changing factors. The best thing for me has been to weigh in once a month that way you get a more accurate picture of your progress. Also...good for you on recognizing that your bra is getting looser - that's a great indication of actual progress! You can do it, keep going strong and we'll support your "I want to scream" moments, cause we all have them AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing...weight loss (or anything worthwhile) is not linear.

The key is not to give up when you're not seeing results or feel like you want to quit...

what-success-looks-like_zps47a248a2.jpg
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Ahhhhhh lol I love that success illustration as well. =D
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    scale isn't the best indicator of success, make sure you're eating enough calories at a deficit, being active, drinking plenty water, it works.
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    This happens to me all the time - trust what you feel and see in the mirror instead of the scale at times like this, youre doing great and working really hard so your scales are just being b*tchy haha
    :)

keep at it
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you!!! Going on week three of eating clean, sticking within my calorie range, and working out--up 2 lbs. :/ I'm trying to let it go...the scale is not all knowing...easier said than done though.
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing...weight loss (or anything worthwhile) is not linear.

The key is not to give up when you're not seeing results or feel like you want to quit...

what-success-looks-like_zps47a248a2.jpg

I so love this!!
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My clothes are already getting very loose and i'm only down 1lb. When you change your habits instead of going on "a diet", the weight comes off differently. That's what I'm gathering from the message boards, anyway.