Am i crazy? Would you do this?

Options

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!
    I have no kids or family to support, there's nothing holding me back except for fear of starting over. But i'm doing this. I moved half way across the world, and made it work, i can do this!!
    Besides, not being broke is overrated. Right, right??
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You are NOT crazy- you are brave! It takes a strong person to step outside their comfort zone and try something new- you will do just fine!

Good luck- you can conquer this challenge too!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! You are making things happen in your life. Why not?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You have to endure the hardships (workload, little money) to reap the benefits! In the end, you'll be happier!!

Takes a brave person to change up what they know and put themselves in unfamiliar territory. Good for you! I'd love to finish an undergrad and then get a degree that will get me a better job, but I can't afford to not work. It's awful!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    If you are going to do it now is the time - no kids, close family, good job. You aren't crazy - just adventurous!
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and I am going to start "college" for the first time.

this
    > Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.
    Earl Nightingale
  • ricklperry
    Options
    I was 33 when I left my job to go back to school and get a degree. Graduated at 37 and started a new career. Other than student loans, I've never regretted it.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power, and in case you haven't heard, 30 isn't old. If you want to further your education, by all means do so. There's nothing wrong with setting new goals. You never have to settle for less. I say go for it. You know what it takes, the sacrifice and the rewards that come in the aftermath. Don't let anyone tell you different. Especially since you have no obligations to a spouse or children.

I was about to say something extremely similar to this. Continue your education if that is where your heart is! Some of my family members have been asking me why I'm going for another degree instead of settling down and really, I just want to get out of my comfort zone for once. Do what makes you happy!

Everything else will fall into place afterwards or during your time there! Good luck! :drinker:
  • regina1006
    regina1006 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think you are being very smart. I went back to school in my mid 30's to finish my bachelors. While I was scared to death with being "the old woman who ruins the curve", I enjoyed my learning experience much more than the first time around. I did have the advantange of my employer paying for my schooling but you are so much better in the long run. And as many people have said "Knowledge is Power".
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am 35, a wife and mother to 4 young children. I currently make pretty good money. My last day is 2/4/13 as I will be a stay at home mom starting to take classes in the summer and enrolling full time in school in the fall. I will be 38 when I graduate. You are not crazy. I am not crazy. We both have more than 1/2 of our lives left (hopefully) and we want to make the most of them. I have been working 16 years but I have another 30 or so working years left. Those friends that are trying to bring you down are just doing so because of their insecurities.
  • bridexiii
    Options
    do it, went back to uni myself last year at 52, working and raising a family as well..so what? its hard rewarding and will open up my horizons when i graduate, It doesn't matter what other people thin, give then five minutes and everyone will be proud of you and rooting for you.
    My advice is do what YOU want not what other people think you should do.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    30 is soooo young. I am 44 and sure wish I would have done something more. If you can afford it, and your instinct is to do it, then go for it. Just remember the later you start working & saving, the later you get to retire, that's the only thing. If you'll make a lot more, it can offset it.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The easy path is rarely worth it. Follow your heart.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You are not crazy. The older you get the harder it is to go back to school. I'm still trying to motivate myself to go back for a masters.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't think its crazy at all. Going back to school is great! I just finished my bachelors 2 years ago and am considering going back and getting my masters and i'm 30.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and I am going to start "college" for the first time.

this
    > Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.
    Earl Nightingale

^This. Four years will pass regardless of what you do with them. You'll be close to 30 then anyway. Do you want to look back from the same position you're in now and wish you'd done something with them? I applaud you for making tough choices now and hope you enjoy the ride!
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As anyone else who's posted here can attest...

You will experience times where you will regret the decision to go back to school.
    You will experience the relief of making it through another class.
    And in the end you will experience the pride of achieving a goal you worked so hard for.

If you want it, do it. It's as simple as that.

Edit: I should add that at 27 I'm in my last semester of my MBA with a double concentration in International Business and Finance. I am thrilled that it's over and that I get to have my social life back. But on top of the academic learning, I learned a lot about myself, about what I want out of life, about who my friends are, and what I'm capable of. I'm a force to be reckoned with.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Definitely not crazy! Follow your dreams!
    I'm forty and it wasn't until I was in my mid thirties that I decided to get my degree and try the career path I'd always wanted to do before finding my husband and having a family delayed me. It took me 8 years of part time study and work to get that degree but I'm glad I did it. I'm quite tempted to start studying again but I'd have to give up holidays to fund it. You only get once life, live it as you want and make each day count, that's my motto now that I'm nearing middle age :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Yes. I went back to school twice in my 30s, for two different careers. I am now very happy as a court reporter. Financially, now I'm behind where all my friends are, which bugs me, but you've got to work your way up. And I discovered that being happy in my job is more important than the money (although don't get me wrong, I like making money!).
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Those who do not continue to learn and improve each day, do not truly live. You are not crazy. You are living! Enjoy. The pitfalls will be short-lived and the benefits will give to you for the rest of your life! You are amazing. Congratulations!