taking a break from sugar

Options
Hello friends,

I have committed to fasting from desserts for the first 21 days of January. Today is the 18th and the only dessert I had was this past Monday- I had a chocolate covered cherry. I hate them, but I was thinking of having a dessert and that was the only one around. I ate it and I was so grossed out at how sugary it was. I have trained my system to not need, crave or lust after dessert the way I had been doing ever since my birthday in October! lol. Anyways, I've had some things with sugar such as fruit, granola bars (cliff bars a couple of times a week), yogurt (Stoneyfield organic), and homemade fruit smoothies. I have not upped my workouts or eaten any different except for the desserts and I have lost 7 pounds since January 1st. Eating the massive amounts of sweets had been spoiling my appetite quite literally so I haven't had the nutrients I need. Anyhow, I just wanted to share what giving up sweets has done for me. I don't plan to always abstain from sweets, but I'm going to be much smarter about how big the batch of cookies I make are, use self control at a party and eat only 1 serving of dessert, etc. I'm not a soda drinker so that's a plus.

Good luck to you all on your path the healthiness.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    This was a whole paragraph about sweets....if I woulda known....:cry:
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you found something that worked for you! Congrats!
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    not sure what you are referring to or why you are sad.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    It seems like taking a break from sugar has done more than help me lose a few pounds. It has really helped my body to reject all unnatural sugars like that in store bought desserts. I had some chocolate covered pretzels yesterday and I had severe stomach pains for the entire evening. This is a good sign, I think, because my body doesn't need sweets and I don't crave them like I did 3 weeks ago!
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    this is great! I'm still dealing with sugar cravings from Christmas overload (and the tons of sugary chocolate gifts people gave me still sitting around). I thought I was eating really well lately, but after looking over my food diary, I suddenly realized I was eating some chocolate or high sugar thing every night. I"m also making it my challenge to cut out sugar things.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    That's a great goal- cutting out sugar, at least processed sugar cane. I still eat plenty of things with natural sugars like fruit, yogurt, and honey. I've finished my 21 day "sugar fast" but this week I've had a couple of desserts, but I was so much more in control of it all!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I too have been cutting down on sugar. Trying to do less than 30 grams a day. It is not easy since everything has sugar in it!! Its insane!! But I have had tummy troubles all my life and since I cut sugar, I have a lot less pain! The hardest for me was my coffee....but now Im used to just using cream!
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    30 grams a day. What does that look like? I'm not certain about grams. I just cut out refined sugars and am only eating natural sugars found in fruits, honey, molasses, etc. That seems to be working for me. Sorry you have belly trouble with sugar. that's tough.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    30 grams a day. What does that look like? I'm not certain about grams. I just cut out refined sugars and am only eating natural sugars found in fruits, honey, molasses, etc. That seems to be working for me. Sorry you have belly trouble with sugar. that's tough.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/116206-benefits-raw-bee-honey/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/83033-raw-unprocessed-honey/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/364587-is-raw-sugar-better-for-your-diet-than-white-sugar/
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i gave up sugar a few days ago and didn't realise until i read your post i wasn't craving it no more (i was eating choc/cakes everyday before), shape delight yogurts and total greek yogurt fat free has no added sugar. haven't found (or looked as yet) for any protein shakes with no added sugar though. interesting what your reaction was though since you re-introduced it into your diet. the only thing that surprised me is the only thing i fancy now is chocolate milk - never thought i'd say that! :smile:
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Well, I've reintroduced some desserts into my life, but I'm not going crazy over them like I had done for the previous 3 months. I mean, if there were a batch of cookies I'd eat them all, sharing a few with my kids...terrible, I know. I had so many sweets given to us during the holidays. It was torturous. Now I eat one or two of something, IF AND WHEN it's in the house- not 6 or 7 of something. I don't make desserts every day. I have them in the house twice, maybe 3 times a week. And like I said, I have a much better control on how much I eat now. I don't crave it 24/7.