What's your workout routine?

Options
I'm just in the start up phase of my weight loss journey, so I'm kinda curious about how other people work out: what days of the week, what kind of exercise, for how long? And a little infro on your weight loss/fitness journey would also be nice, just to put it in context :)

Replies

• tarasheehan1
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels DVD's.. Hard workouts but worth it! I'm doing the 30 day shred and Blast Fat Boost Metabolism!
  • twilliams1006
    Options
    I just work out on my lunch hour for about 45 minutes. I downloaded some daily fitness apps on my phone. They are 10 minute work out each, I usually combine 3 - Cario every day plus 2 more (legs, arms, butt, abs) and then with my remaining time I jog on the tread mill (we have a small gym at work) If I am not at work I try to attend classes at the local rec center.
  • Marthia
    Marthia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use winsor pilates 20 min. treadmill 30 mins. & eliptical 30. jenny ( for 1 month) & now started juicing
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I try to do 20 minutes every day. I do Zumba and Zumba Exhilarate. Also, I have been trying when I can to walk 30 minutes at lunchtime. I have just started my weight loss journey and I am focusing on moving.

As I gain more stamina I will add more time to my workouts. I also started for the first time adding some free weights for my arms.

I am really trying to stay within my calories and opting each much healthier food. In just 25 days, I have more energy, crave more fruits and veggies and overall feel good.

Just keep pushing forward and it will happen. Feel free to friend me if you would like a friend along your journey to help encourage and motivate!
  • annicins
    Options
    Insanity. Doing it now. LOVE IT. It's 6 days a week and it lasts usually between 35-45 mins. Eating between 1500-1600 cals a day. Did TurboFire from November to Jan - loved that. Since Nov 5, I am down 25 lbs!
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, I recommending trying EVERYTHING!

I "restarted" about two weeks ago. I bought a kettlebell and did some workouts, that was fun and muscle building!

I did Just Dance for Wii for about a week until my stamina built up a bit.

I tried Yoga, I tried Pilates. I did interval training yesterday (running) and went on a walk in my neighborhood that was nothing but hills. Today is going to be a new workout from MagRack, from my cable on demand. (If you have xfinity you have this - Time Warner apparently has something similar too.) I also have 30 day shred I'm going to do in March, I think!

Try Pop Pilates or the Jillian Michaels workout videos that people have uploaded to Youtube.

No matter what you do, keep mixing it up. Do strength and cardio, changing up the amounts every day. Don't let your body settle into one specific routine, but do get into the routine of exercising in general :)
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do C25K Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings. Bike (at the gym) Tues and Thurs for 45 min. And starting to try and workout either on Sat or Sun...jogging one of those days. And just this week started taking Zumba Monday nights and Wed nights in addition to what I was already doing!! Finally finding my love for working out again!! :happy:
  • SaffSaad
    Options
    I started with Jillian Michaels DVDs, also Turbo Jam, and Zumba. Now I'm doing Insanity 3/4 days a week and weight training twice a week 6 days in total for 45-60 min.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bumping.. Need some ideas
  • julesassid
    Options
    I started tracking food on this site in February 2012 - started exercising regularly in about April 2012. When I started, I walked on my two 15 minute breaks a mile loop - I had to be back in 15 minutes, so I walked at about a 4.0 speed, each and every day. Then in June I added (got tricked into) joing a Boot Camp. That was at first 2 days per week and it was HARD, but I saw results extremely fast. By this time I had went from 230 to about 215. Then Boot Camp upped to 3 days a week, I went to about 205 and then I got stuck between 205 and 197 for months. So I switched gyms and started doing circuit style classes that have cardio and strength training all in one. I started going minimum 4 times, striving for 5 days a week. One day per week I just do cardio - I run / walk as far as I can go in 45 minutes - that was 4 miles yesterday. I'm at 189 today - I eat about 1600 calories per day if I work out - 1400 if I don't. I am 5'7 and 36 years old.
    M - Circuit Muscle Madness 45 min
    T - Run/walk 45 min
    W - Circuit - The Big Lift 45 min
    Th - Circuit - this one is not very intense 45 min
    F - Spin and lift 45 min

I usually end up ice skating or swimming with my son on the weekends, but don't count it towards exercise.

Hope this helps!
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Mondays I work upper body and treadmill; Tuesdays lower body and treadmill; Wednesday is gym day so elliptical and abs; Thursday upper body and treadmill; Friday lower body and treadmill; Saturday treadmill only; Sunday I rest.

I am training to run a 5k so I bought a treadmill for home and my fiance had weights so found a bunch of strength training stuff online and am doing that at home too. We do go to the gym but that's when I use the stuff I don't have at home (elliptical or rowing machine or bike).

This works for me and as long as I do the weights I won't force myself to do the treadmill if I'm too tired but so far I've done it for at least 20 minutes every night.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Monday - AM: Bench and Deadlift (5/3/1), accessory lifts, finish with a circuit Cycle if I can. Usually a 2nd lifting session in the evening.
    Tuesday - AM: Sprints and plyometric work, often with some parkour drills. Commute by cycle. PM: Bodyweight work
    Wednesday - AM: Cleans, and snatch progressions, accessory lifts, kettlebell circuit. PM: More lifting
    Thursday - AM: 3 mile run, maybe some sprints. Cycle to work. PM: Bodyweight work.
    Friday: AM: Squats and press (5/3/1), accessory lifts, finish with a circuit Cycle if I can. Usually a 2nd lifting session in the evening.
    Saturday: A "free" day - usually at least 1 hour working out, whatever I feel like.
    Sunday: long walk, cycling, etc. No lifting or strenuous work. A 1-hour yoga session.
    Everyday: yoga or isometric stretching in the AM, yoga at night.

This is my current schedule that I've been doing basically for about 3 months. I've been at this for over 2 years now, down a hundred pounds. I've always stuck with a six-day workout schedule, alternating between strength work and running.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i walk in a morning between 3 and 8 miles with a toddler in a pushchair depending on the weather (cant have her out in all weathers) i also walk in the afternoon 3 miles both are the school run so 5 days a week, i try to walk between 3.5-4 mph for most of it but 1.5 miles of both journeys are with my 6 year old and he walks at about 3mph
    i try to jog 2-3 times per week but to be honest im not a very good jogger and have to take breaks fast walking
    i do the occasional workout dvd going through phases where i do it for a week then put it back in cupboard for another month
    i go on my exercise bike 60 mins a couple of times a month
    i have currently lost 88lbs would have been more but i fell off the dieting wagon in november and put some weight back on
    i appreciate that i could have lost a lot more weight a hell of a lot quicker than i have ifi had stepped up the exercise or stuck to a program but, i have 4 kids one of which has mental health issues and he takes up most of my time/energy
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Weights, cardio, weights, cardio, weights, cardio, rest, repeat.
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started out 2 1/2 years ago on WW and lost 80+ pounds. I started by doing Leslie Sansone dvd's which was perfect since I was not at any activity level. I worked my way through her dvd's for about a year also biking in the summer, then in the fall did Firm videos, followed by Insanity (which I love), then I did TurboJam, then Turbofire, I am currently on my second round of Chalene Extreme, which I suplement with addition ab and HITT workouts from Turbofire. I did to much cardio and neglected the weights in the begining and now am trying to tone and firm up my body. I work out 6 days a week and take Friday as a rest day. 1 day a week I do a light cardio like a walking dvd. In the summer I bike like crazy, it's my fav thing to do. My goal this year is to do 2500 miles! I eat roughly 2000 calories a day and I focus on my macros of 30 carb/40 protein/30 fat to help with muscle building. My recommendation is to find something you enjoy and it will help you look forward to your workouts! Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mntracker
    mntracker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work out everday unless I have a really good excuse not to. I do about 45 minutes of either elliptical or treadmill and rotate between arm weights every other day and leg weights every other day. I have not missed a workout since Christmas Day.

I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day and for some reason am stuck. Right now I weigh 123 (lost 4 pounds in about 35 days since I started tracking). My goal is 117. I am 5'3 and 48 years old. My metabolism seems to have slowed down the past 3 years or so. Seems harder to stay at a certain weight.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight, so this routine works well for me. :)

Zumba 1-2 times per week. I typically burn around 500 cals.

Yoga: 1-2 times per week: Vinyasa and Power Yoga have the best burn

Cardio: I hike year round and in the winter I cross country ski, snowshoe, etc. I also snowmobile (upper body workout) and ride my ATV. On a regular work-night I do elliptical or arc trainer. I try to fit cardio in at least twice per week.

I also started taking ballet barre once per week! It's the only weights class I love.

My weeks look like this if I'm around (I travel for work): Monday: Zumba, Tuesday: cardio, Wednesday: barre, Thursday: yoga or cardio, Friday: Zumba, Saturday: yoga. On weekends I'm away I'm more active (hiking etc.)
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    In order for any workout program to work - it has to fit in and appeal to YOU! Make it what you want - it doesn't matter ITS ALL ABOUT YOU!

Things you might want to purchase:
    * Pedometer - walk;move at least 10,000 steps per day. There is something about this number that just works. Helps with weight loss and maintenance
    * Buy a Heart Rate Monitor - a good one if you can afford to track your workout calories (I have a FT4 Polar model)
    * Get fitted for a good pair of workout shoes - go to a bona fide running store - usually they have people trained in fitting the right shoe to your needs. Yes it will set you back $120 - $150 for the 1st pair then any pair after that I buy online.
    * Oh yeah... get a good sports bra ;)

Tips/Tricks
    * Sometimes I break exercising down into 15 - 20 minute buckets - it all adds up! I used to arrive at work 30 minutes early - walk from the parking lot out 15 minutes and back (30 minutes DONE); then at lunch I would do the same (60 minutes DONE) * 3 times a week I would stop at the gym for a quick down and dirty 45 minute circuit
    * Find the time that works best for you - I'm a morning person.
    * I live out in the country - so going to the closest gym is a 60 minute round trip - yup just not gonna do it. I like doing workout DVD's. I'm doing P90X Lean - on week 11 of 13. Yes I couldn't do all the moves at first - so I hit skip alot until I could learn/do the move. I have lost 15#'s/16" in the last 90 days. I might do a second round of P90X Classic and then after that a P90X/Turbo Fire hybrid
    * Another video I liked wasDebbie Seiber's Slim in 6 workout DVD - it is 45 minutes.
    * I am not a big fan of Jillian Michaels - I know I'm probably the only person on this earth that can't stand her! I prefer the Bob Harper's of the world.

Good luck!

You're on the right track and good for you for taking the first step! YOU GOT THIS!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This might sound like I'm advertising, but I'm definitely not haha. It's just a website that I found works for me and helps. www.freetrainers.com You basically put in your level (yours would be beginner), how many days you want to work out, etc etc...and it designs a workout for you. But for informational sakes (and keep in mind I've been working out consistently for about a year now) here is my routine:

Monday-C25K, Abs (3 sets of 15 on 3 machines), Legs (3 sets of 20/16/14 on 4 machines)
    Tuesday-30 minutes on the elliptical
    Wednesday-C25K, Abs (3 sets of 15 on 3 machines), Back (3 sets of 20/16/14 on 3 machines), Shoulders (3 sets of 20/16/14 on 3 machines)
    Thursday-Sames as Tuesday
    Friday-C25K, Abs (3 sets of 15 on 3 machines), Chest (3 sets of 20/16/14 on 3 machines), Triceps (4 sets of 20/16/14 on 3 machines)
    Sat and Sun-Rest days for me but I usually try to do something active. Last weekend I went bowling, this weekend I'm going skiing.

I like having a schedule. It keeps me motivated and focused! Good luck!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    First things first: All my workouts begin with a 10 to 15 minute warm up of dynamic mobility exercises and some static stretches, mainly for my hip flexors. And they all end with about 15 minutes of foam rolling and other myofascial release techniques that my massage therapist encouraged me to start doing. And the reason I put this first is because it has made a tremendous difference in the way I feel. My whole body feels more relaxed and flexibile, and my joints feel a lot looser since I started doing this a couple months ago.

MWF are strength training days for me, and I end each session with a 10 minute finisher (strength-based HIIT) before cooling down. Mondays are deadlifting only (I am following the Magnusson-Ortmayer protocol at the moment). Wednesdays are pushing and pulling movements (could be clean and press, military press, a lot of pushups, or even Turkish get-ups, along with rows, pullups, or other lat-targeted movements). Fridays are squat and hip-hinge. I do different squat variations (back, front, goblet, sometimes I'll grab a pair of kettlebells and do some clean-and-front-squat reps) and hip hinge movements like heavy kettlebell swings and hip thrusts.

TTh are strictly HIIT circuits, all using resistance with the exception of burpees. This is where I incorporate some lighter weighted kettlebell swings and snatches, renegade rows, etc. The goal, for me, is to keep my heart rate above a certain level more so than to use a certain amount of weight. Of course, as my conditioning improves, sometimes raising my heart rate requires increasing the weight, but it's a week-to-week process.

I rest (completely) on Saturdays and Sundays. I typically spend these days planning my meals and progressive loading for my training sessions for the following week.