any suggestions?

LilMissAngi
LilMissAngi Posts: 127
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I know breakfast is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day. Which is fine, but I just don't have time to actually cook anything int he mornings. I get up, get my son up and dressed and then I get ready and head to work. I normally just grab a granola bar or a banana or something. I have tried to get up much earlier but that doesn't help much either. See I live with my parents and my mom does child care. so by the time I get up the kitchen is a mess! There is no room for me to cook myself anything. Yea I could clean it up and do my thing and blah blah blah... but when I'm trying to get to work in the morning that is something I don't want to mess with.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something that I could do? Maybe something frozen that I can take and heat up at work (all we have is a microwave) I haven't looked at the store for anything, I will when I go but I thought I would ask.

Please let me know... Thanks!

Replies

• KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    so there is no fridge at your work? my co worker has milk and cereal at work. I would say eat your granola bar and banana like you have been and then have some cereal when you get to work. That will probably be about 300 calories or so and will be a good start to your day.

I have cereal at my house and usually a yogurt when I get to work and that keeps me going until lunch time.

Since you have the microwave you can also do oatmeal.

much luck to ya!
  • tlanasa
    tlanasa Posts: 2
    jimmy dean has a new turkey sausage and egg/cheese bowl that is low fat, around 300 calories, and is microwavable. Try it! They also have low fat egg sandwiches but they tend to get soggy when you cook in micro. hope this helps!

Oatmeal is a great idea too! It really sticks to you but I have found that I have to have protein in the morning to fill fully ready for my day.
  • onmyway45
    onmyway45 Posts: 7
    Egg Beaters makes a yummy Southwestern flavor with spices, bell peppers and onions, pop some in the microwave and then put into a whole wheat tortilla for a yummy breakfast filled with protein and fiber! Yummy!!
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    it's a good time for one of the "meal replacements," perhaps. I sneak in a Zone bar. Lately I've been drinking a Shakeology shake, it's has the nutrition to balance my sporadic eating, and keeps me going until late morning. I also have a stock of Greek Yogurt and hard boiled eggs (I ditch about 2/3 of the yolk) in the fridge.
  • iokua15
    iokua15 Posts: 7
    I bought this Carnation brand breakfast drink mix and I've been eating (drinking I should say) that for the past few days. Its a powder that you mix with milk (I've been mixing it with vanilla flavored soy milk... tastes fine!) It seems to fill me up ok until about mid-morning then I try to stave off the hunger with a Special K (90 calorie) bar. That lasts me until lunch time :) Total calories for drink and bar is 320 calories (with soy milk) It's worth a try and its extremely fast! You can portion out the mix and milk in seconds and then mix and drink on the commute to work! :) Hope it helps! :)
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    so there is no fridge at your work?

We do have a fridge however there are a BUNCH of theft. I dont want to store milk here and one day not have any and then I would be left with nothing.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    OK the comment "breakfast is the most important meal " has alwasy made me laugh. i wonder who and when that saying was "Invented" ? I have a breakfast bar and /or fruit most days. I have never been a breakfast eater and hav never fallen into the breakfast most important meal "myth! I am not a moring person yet am up very early due to ciommunte & work schedule. I like saving calories for later in day when I am most active/busy. I would say do what works for you - not what "others" say! LOL!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    If you like oatmeal you can buy steel cut oats, put about 1/2 cup in a tupperware container, throw in some almonds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, honey and some cinammon. Put in enough water to cover. Snap the lid on and throw it in the fridge overnight. You can heat it up if you want warm/hot oatmeal but I eat it cold and uncooked. The kernels soften up but are not soggy. Or you can throw it in the car and eat it at work. It really fills you up and isn't processed like cereal is.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    What about cooking something the night before that would last for a few days? South Beach has a lot of frittata recipes that are super yum.
  • paulreese
    paulreese Posts: 10
    As john said earlier Shakeology is a great start to any day It's only 140 calories if mixed with water and has more nutritional value than any other meal repacement on the market.
    you can check it out at
    www.myshakeology.com/fitnessgps
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    If you like oatmeal you can buy steel cut oats, put about 1/2 cup in a tupperware container, throw in some almonds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, honey and some cinammon. Put in enough water to cover. Snap the lid on and throw it in the fridge overnight. You can heat it up if you want warm/hot oatmeal but I eat it cold and uncooked. The kernels soften up but are not soggy. Or you can throw it in the car and eat it at work. It really fills you up and isn't processed like cereal is.

Yum! Brilliant!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Let's change the mindset a little: Breakfast is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day, right? One typically thinks they have to cook. Not so much. Let's change breakfast is the biggest meal of the day to "Breakfast should be the healthiest, most calorie dense meal of the day". There's tons of healthy stuff you can eat that is fast and very calorie dense. You can hard boil some eggs the night before (80 cal per large egg, great protein), pack some nuts/trail mix (300 cals for 1/2 cup), chow down on a banana (121 cals), And slam a piece of whole grain toast (50-200 cals depending on bread, add some PB instead of butter, and you'll add another 50-100 cals). That should keep you very full and trucking till morning snack or lunch! I'm a fan of meal replacement drinks, too, because you get some nutrients and can chug them in a matter of seconds and be out the door. It's not hard to get to 500 cals on breakfast and only take 5 mins to make and eat it :)
This discussion has been closed.