Burpees

Options
For anyone who regularly does this as part of his/her workout, whats a good rep number to go by? I know everyone is different, but I am trying to gauge myself. I did 5 sets of 5 burpees as part of my workout today. (I try to do 5 stations and added this as my "in between" of the stations.)

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I do burpees as part of my circuit training twice a week. I do intervals of 30 seconds work/30 seconds rest, as opposed to a certain number of reps, but I typically get 15 solid reps in 30 seconds.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I often do 2 sets of 15. If I push myself or on my big burn days I'll do 5 sets of 10. I usually combine my burpees with Mountain climbers, jump rope or plank jacks as well.
  • Miz_Sparklez
    Miz_Sparklez Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have worked myself up to 3 sets 10-15.....couple times a week.....depends how bad I want it.

34707083.png
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I think the burpee challenge is 100 burpees in 5 minutes.
  • beccaudrey
    Options
    I do these in my bootcamp program and depending on the day i do anything from 100 straight through with 8lb weights to a few reps of 15-20. depends on how much you want to torture yourself! lol. But i think 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps with 8 to 10 lbs is good to start.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

well, I am pretty sure I wont be making that challenge lol.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options

WHAT??!! :noway:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees

Death to all burpees!:devil:
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees

Death to all burpees!:devil:

DITTO
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    To me, burpees are what I get from drinking root beer. What are the burpees you're talking about? Cuz, I'm pretty sure you're not all trying to see how many times you can belch in a minute. LOL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW-t-nbPkSj-5hw3qVOk9pj5mbFgxgETNFj6pAtnrvvWlOyMeCxg

snin163l.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OMG just looked up burpees on youtube. These guys are all my heroes. Really anyone who could do more than 3 of those is my hero, but you all must be IN SHAPE!
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    *Remembers "The Burpee Mile" & shudders*
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As many as I can before I collapse. They seriously suck.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I do them as a part of workouts 2-3 times a week but always combined like..burpee to a pull up...or burpee to a box jump...or burpee to a diamond pushup
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For anyone who regularly does this as part of his/her workout, whats a good rep number to go by? I know everyone is different, but I am trying to gauge myself. I did 5 sets of 5 burpees as part of my workout today. (I try to do 5 stations and added this as my "in between" of the stations.)

LOL---when I clicked on this thread, I thought I was going to see something about putting in a vegetable garden from the Burpee's Seed Catalog. :laugh: (Gardening IS good exercise, by the way, AND you get wonderful vegetables out of it! :wink: )
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mine is more like a "one burpee then a nap" combo! lol
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As many as my trainer tells me to do...no more, usually less :(

Whoever invented these evil things has a crappy sense of humor...
  • VibrantKrystle
    VibrantKrystle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My version of burpees: 2 8lb weights. Place hands on the weights and get into a plank position either on your knees or not. Do one row, altering sides then go into a burpee. Do 10, 3x While going from a plank, lift weights as you stand up. Get's your heart rate elevatied while toning core and shoulders.

2nd version. If your gym has TRX bars. Move the straps to the side. Stand under the bar and jump up and grab the bar with an underhand grip. Stay in a half pull up form while your body stabilizes and then drop down, go into a burpee. Stand up and repeat. 6, 3x This works, biceps, triceps, core and shoulders. AMAZING work out!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    The Burpee Ladder is very good.
    We use it in Pre - season - but we do a push up when in the plank and jump up off the ground rather than standing up.
    Consecutive sets of 20, 19, 18,17 etc down to 1 with a stopwatch on it.
    It's a nightmare, but strangely addictive - especially when you see the numbers coming down.
    Brilliant all over exercise when there's not a lot of space or equipment.
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

It depends what you want to accomplish. Our gym does a test.. how many burpees can you do in 1 min? Then a few weeks later we do it again to try to beat our "record". We've done 7 minutes max burpees... so go for a solid 7 min, no break, and keep track. If you are doing them in between stations.. why not try to go for "how many can I do" vs "i'm ONLY going to do 5 sets of 5" That way you can see if you are getting stronger, faster, etc (Burpees never get easier.. you just get better.. LOL)

Or you can create a challenge. 5 day, 10 day, 90.. (you get the picture) and each day you do the # of burpees. For instance, day 1 = 1 burpee, day 5 = 5 burpees, etc.