Throat pain while running?

Options
I thought I'd be brave 2 nights ago, and I took a jog outside instead of in the gym. I jogged for a 1/2 mile before I couldn't breathe any longer without it being extremely painful. It made me sick to my stomach it hurt so bad.

I'm assuming the air passing by dried out my throat? My throat hurt for 2 days thereafter. How do you not get really dry throat while running? It is the weirdest thing! Now that the weather is getting nice, I really want to work out outside.

And chewing gum won't work....I breathe through my mouth while running....not possible to do it only through my nose.

PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hmm... idk, my only thought is you were jogging too fast and taking in too much air maybe? Or maybe you weren't hydrated enough, or maybe it was really dry outside. But I'd suggest you take it easy, alternate between jogging and brisk walking outside and really pay attention to controlling your breathing. The breathing is extremely important, if you breath wrong you get worn out and won't last very long.
  • beccasetsfire
    beccasetsfire Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't know if people do this but I'd say maybe get a camel back...

I want this ( http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3942740&cp=3077568.3077634.2150813&view=all&parentPage=family ) for biking & skating and I'll probably use it once i start running...
  • sdraughan
    sdraughan Posts: 6
    Options
    What about allergies? For a four year stretch, I would go to the doctor every spring convinced I was dying before I finally believed the doctor and understood that I had allegeries. I never had them before and I only get them once a year due to the blooming of some pear tree (the one with those evil pretty white flower clusters). :wink:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Try drinking a full bottle of water and eating a clementine (or orange) about 30 minutes before your run. Also take some water with you for when you get really dry. I did have lots of sinus type symptoms when I first started running but they've gotten better. It also really helps if I just breathe through my nose as much as possible. I used to hyperventilate like crazy until I decided to only go as fast as I could go while breathing deep. I do Power Yoga on my non-run days. I would suggest it to anybody who runs. It stretches you good, gets your muscles strong, and teaches you how to breathe.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    When I was in high school my field hockey coach noticed I was breathing out of my mouth and that after a very short amount of running I couldn't breathe anymore. She told me to breathe IN through my nose, and OUT through my mouth. I PROMISE you it will make all the difference in the world. It really is all about controlling your breathing! It was some of the best advice anyone has ever given me, and because of her, I can run much longer distances now. Good luck!