A bit "off topic" maybe, but anyway.....

Options
...... with this whole change in "lifestyle" I am trying to accomplish (as are many of us here I would assume), one of the things I'd really like to change is my outdoor activity come the nice weather of spring/summer and fall. I'm in the upper midwest, so winter kinda puts a damper on things, or at least limits them to things I just won't do (too many instances of frostbite in the past that makes the cold unbearable for me).

My future stepson (13 years old) loves to fish, something that I only did occasionally growing up and haven't done at all in over 20 years. I've spent countless summer evenings on our deck, drinking beers and smoking cigarettets and cigars, openly promising to "start getting more active" for several years now. Well, this is the year.

My plans are to purchase hybrid bikes for both myself and my fiancee (IF she wants and shows interest, that is), otherwise I'll just get one for me. I want to get a Trek - Gary Fischer (?, I think) that I can use both on and off the roads around here. Any suggestions on bicycles from those of you who enjoy the sport/pastime? (I'm a bigger guy, currently 225, hope to be between 200 and 210 come the good weather......I know that this makes a difference in the type of bike I should be looking at).

And the big one.......... any kayak-ers here? I have always wanted to get a kayak for myself so that I could go out on my own when I had the urge. If I get one, I'll be getting 2 (so future stepson and wife.....maybe even stepdaughter if she wants, but I don't see that happening) can go out on the area lakes to paddle around, even to do some fishing in. I've looked around on the different sporting goods websites, so think I have a pretty good idea of what I want, but for those of you that do this regularly, would you have any suggestions as to specifics to look out for, etc.? I've had some suggest a canoe instead, but to me, it seems a canoe would be a real hassle if one just wanted to go out and about on the water alone.....maybe I'm wrong.

Educate me, please

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Trek hybrids are great. However, I picked up a used one with the front suspension. It's a bit of an issue for big guys like us (I weight 228), as it tends to sink down when I stand up to climb a hill. Not bad, but took a little while to get used to. Just keep that in mind if you get a suspension bike. If that's too disconcerting, maybe get a light MTB.

For a kayak, I traded out an 8 footer and a inflatable for a 12' Malibu Ocean II. It's large enough for 2 people (and a dog) but I can still manage it on my own. And it's supposed to be more stable in waves, though I didn't get it down to the beach last summer.
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Trek hybrids are great. However, I picked up a used one with the front suspension. It's a bit of an issue for big guys like us (I weight 228), as it tends to sink down when I stand up to climb a hill. Not bad, but took a little while to get used to. Just keep that in mind if you get a suspension bike. If that's too disconcerting, maybe get a light MTB.

For a kayak, I traded out an 8 footer and a inflatable for a 12' Malibu Ocean II. It's large enough for 2 people (and a dog) but I can still manage it on my own. And it's supposed to be more stable in waves, though I didn't get it down to the beach last summer.

What is an "MTB"? Mountain Bike? sorry, like I said, real newb to this stuff but want to get quality stuff so when i start i don't get frustrated right away.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    MTB = Mountain bike
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    MTB is shorthand for mountain bike. I know trek rates all their regular front suspension mountain bikes and hybrids to 300lbs, so you should be fine.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek hybrid as does my wife. I like the shock system on the front. They are a nice ride for trails or some offroad fun too.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    And the big one.......... any kayak-ers here? I have always wanted to get a kayak for myself so that I could go out on my own when I had the urge. If I get one, I'll be getting 2 (so future stepson and wife.....maybe even stepdaughter if she wants, but I don't see that happening) can go out on the area lakes to paddle around, even to do some fishing in. I've looked around on the different sporting goods websites, so think I have a pretty good idea of what I want, but for those of you that do this regularly, would you have any suggestions as to specifics to look out for, etc.? I've had some suggest a canoe instead, but to me, it seems a canoe would be a real hassle if one just wanted to go out and about on the water alone.....maybe I'm wrong.

Educate me, please

I am by no means an expert when it comes to kayaking but 2 years ago I started doing it recreationally and I LOVE it. Lakes are fun, but rivers are better. I don't get into the crazy rapids or anything like that, just like to lazily paddle along. This would be a wonderful thing for you to do with your step-son (or your fiance!). I would recommend a kayak over a canoe any day :)

What to look for: buy one with a back rest, they can get a little uncomfortable if you don't buy one with a nice seat. Also, look for one with a storage compartment. Whether it's for drinks or snacks or whatever, it's nice to have.