Insanity Workout - do you follow the schedule?

Options
I have JUST started this, but I am very out of shape. I am starting this at 230 lbs, 5'5 and 31 years old. I am not doing the complete challenge as they have it mapped out because I feel I will fail at that right now. I am a stay at home mom of 3 VERY BUSY children, and homeschool as well. So, contrary to what some may think, I DO NOT have a whole lot of time, so I have to plan accordingly (nap time/study time). I did not start with anything else first. I jumped straight into the Insanity workouts, BUT I am picking which one I want to do in whatever order until I become familiar with all of them. I haven't made it through an entire video work out yet, BUT I listen to my body and push myself as far as I can. I have noticed that I have gotten farther and farther towards completing a full workout and am hoping today I will make it all the way through. I see it as, it is way better than what I was doing before (which wasn't much at all) and I will get better, and I will get faster, and stronger and see more results as time goes on.

So far - almost at the end of 1 week (after today's workout) I will be down 2" on waist, 2" off hips and 1.5 ff each thigh. So - what I am doing may not be the recommended way - but it is working for me right now.

Is anyone else doing Insanity, but not sticking to their suggested workout schedule?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would be careful. Insanity isn't meant as a beginner program and someone at a heavier weight who is new to exercising may hurt themselves.

I did Insanity and on some days I'd skip a workout so that I could go running. But for the most part, I stuck to the schedule. I'm sure you'll still see results even if you don't follow the program to a T.
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would be careful. Insanity isn't meant as a beginner program and someone at a heavier weight who is new to exercising may hurt themselves.

I did Insanity and on some days I'd skip a workout so that I could go running. But for the most part, I stuck to the schedule. I'm sure you'll still see results even if you don't follow the program to a T.

I am listening to my body and only doing what I can. Like Shaun T says, form and technique is more important than speed, so that is what I am focusing on.

Thanks for your in put! :smile:
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
  • ljimom01
    Options
    Hello,
    I saw you were doing insanity. Not sure if you are interested- but i have an awesome support group of other beachbody enthusiasts On FB who are determined to get results and earn their t-shirts. We share physical and nutritional tips - and then the end celebrate eachother earning our t-shirts. Great place to build friendships among others completing the program. Would you like to join us? Again this is a FB group. If you would like to join us feel free to send me a Facebook friend request there along with an email with your Myfitnesspal name - and then i can add you to the group. My name on Facebook is Teresa CoachRamirez.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    i completed insanity last week and followed the schedule as it was given to me. there is a reason that they have a schedule and it's to best help your body progress.

best of luck to you!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have JUST started this, but I am very out of shape. I am starting this at 230 lbs, 5'5 and 31 years old. I am not doing the complete challenge as they have it mapped out because I feel I will fail at that right now. I am a stay at home mom of 3 VERY BUSY children, and homeschool as well. So, contrary to what some may think, I DO NOT have a whole lot of time, so I have to plan accordingly (nap time/study time). I did not start with anything else first. I jumped straight into the Insanity workouts, BUT I am picking which one I want to do in whatever order until I become familiar with all of them. I haven't made it through an entire video work out yet, BUT I listen to my body and push myself as far as I can. I have noticed that I have gotten farther and farther towards completing a full workout and am hoping today I will make it all the way through. I see it as, it is way better than what I was doing before (which wasn't much at all) and I will get better, and I will get faster, and stronger and see more results as time goes on.

So far - almost at the end of 1 week (after today's workout) I will be down 2" on waist, 2" off hips and 1.5 ff each thigh. So - what I am doing may not be the recommended way - but it is working for me right now.

Is anyone else doing Insanity, but not sticking to their suggested workout schedule?

My wife and I are doing it together and we homeschool as well. The kids come down to the basement and watch and on Saturdays we kind of do it together. We have been sticking to the schedule as best we can.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am doing it and sticking to the workout schedule. As someone else stated there is a reason that they have the schedule mapped out for you in the way that they do.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've done it before - twice - and followed the schedule :smile:
  • Petrina79
    Petrina79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I try to follow the workout. I started working out in November at 220lbs and have since lost 22 lbs. I started with the zumba workout and I believe it has given me the stamina to proceed with Insanity. Every day I do tthe workouts It takes EVERYTHING in me not to hit the STOP button on my DVD player. I'm on day 4. ( I started it a few weeks ago and made it to day 6 but had to stop because I was in hospital for 2 days for something unrelated to workouts) I just started up again on sunday. I really have a love hate relationship with Mr. Shaun T. He keeps beating me up and I keep going back for more. I really missed him and Insanity the week that I was off from the workout though. LOL

I have a question for logging Insanity workouts under you exercise. Whay do youguys log it as and on the carddio recovery its not cardio but stretching etc so how do i log that. I'm still burning calories but its not cardio