plateau after two weeks only

Options
I started my new weight loss journey almost 3 weeks ago.In the first 2 weeks I lost 3 kg,and I thought I would lose more,but still,it was ok,especially because I wasn't doing any exercises.
Because I wanted to be losing more than that a week,I started doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I've been doing it for 6 days now and I haven't lost any weight at all,which is ridiculous if you ask me.
I've tried to lose weight before,and I remember losing a lot more than I've been losing this time,but I gained it all back because I started eating unhealthy food.
The thing is,I know I can be losing more,because I've done it before,so what's going on now?
How come I've reached a plateau after two weeks only and I've added exercising?

Replies

• LoganAnthony6
    Options
    I'm not entirely familiar with her workouts really, but chances are that you're putting on muscle and dropping fat at the same time. Best thing to do in these cases is keep an eye on the weight, but more importantly do some hip, waist, neck measurements to see if any inches are coming off.
  • Dpingl
    Dpingl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issues. I have lost about 7 to 8 lbs since the begging of the year! The last two weeks NOTHING! Its so discouraging. I have about 30 to 40 more pounds to lose! I didn't do much exercise the 1st two weeks. It was cold and I was just getting started. I am exercising everyday. Walking or doing my elliptical and the progress has slowed! I have days that I might go over 30 to 40 calories but nothing extreme! I also find myself knowing that a caloric value is wrong on myfitnesspal and chosing the one that is least amount of calories instead of the one that looks "correct". Its self defeating to a point, but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference! :grumble:
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    know how you feel i've been stuck on the same weigh for 3 weeks. I've been doing cardio 5-6 days a week and nothing.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you're only 3 weeks into it, and you haven't lost in only 6 days, you are NOT plateauing (and you're also not 'putting on muscle and dropping fat at the same time").......its just that our muscles retain water when we start a new strength training routine such as you have. Don't expect to have fast and consistently huge results every week and you'll be just fine.

It takes time!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    3kg in 3 weeks is really good, what were you aiming for? You should be looking at 1-2lbs a week if you're being healthy.

A plateau is when you don't lose weight for 6 weeks or so, not a few days.

And, as above, you're probably gaining muscle mass too, so even if you're the same weight, you'll be in better shape.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    3kg in 3 weeks is really good, what were you aiming for? You should be looking at 1-2lbs a week if you're being healthy.

And, as above, you're probably gaining muscle mass too, so even if you're the same weight, you'll be in better shape.

I know it's kind of early to start panicking,but I was expecting to lose like 2 kg a week,at least in the beginning,because that's what was happening to me before,like,every time I tried to lose weight.I also remember losing a lot when I was doing the 30 day shred about a year ago.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    So 4lbs a week? That would be alot even for ME. You're not "plateauing" since a plateau would consist of 6 weeks or more of no weight loss if one is consistent with diet and exercise.

Unless you're well over 200lbs, you should set more realistic weight loss goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • menaisnassuos
    menaisnassuos Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The most important Rule here is to be patient..you are building muscules now with the work out..which will increase the calories you burn everyday..wight loss needs sometime..and one other thing to watch out for is not to eat under 1200 so you body doesn't go into starvation mood..give it few more weeks and i promise you will lose some serious pounds
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I know it's kind of early to start panicking,but I was expecting to lose like 2 kg a week,at least in the beginning,because that's what was happening to me before,like,every time I tried to lose weight.I also remember losing a lot when I was doing the 30 day shred about a year ago.

You really need to reassess your expectations. 2kg per week is insanely fast (unless you weigh over 400lbs)-even half that is still way too much to expect consistently. As has been pointed out-a plateau is 6 weeks, not 6 days. If you're still at the same weight 42 days from now (with consistent diet and exercise), then we can talk plateau. Also, weight loss isn't linear-you don't lose the same amount every single week like clockwork. Some weeks you'll lose, some you'll stay the same, some you'll even gain. You look for trending over time (not 6 days-like 6 months). So patience is good, and reasonable expectations are better.
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I'm sure others will identify it as well, but you probably lost a lot of the extra food that your body had in the pipeline during the first week, then your body lost some of the extra body weight that was retaining water during the first and second weeks. Now that you've lost the "easy" stuff you'll actually start losing weight (as opposed to just losing water weight and retained excess food that hasn't been expelled yet.)

Sounds like you're doing ok so far, keep it up for another week and ensure you're accurately keeping track of those calories! If you are in a deficit you'll eventually drop the weight, your body won't have a choice in the matter!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I started my new weight loss journey almost 3 weeks ago.In the first 2 weeks I lost 3 kg,and I thought I would lose more,but still,it was ok,especially because I wasn't doing any exercises.
    Because I wanted to be losing more than that a week,I started doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I've been doing it for 6 days now and I haven't lost any weight at all,which is ridiculous if you ask me.
    I've tried to lose weight before,and I remember losing a lot more than I've been losing this time,but I gained it all back because I started eating unhealthy food.
    The thing is,I know I can be losing more,because I've done it before,so what's going on now?
    How come I've reached a plateau after two weeks only and I've added exercising?

If you lose nothing in 6-8 weeks, you have hit a plateau. Six days? That's not a plateau.

If you want to lose the weight permanently, maybe you should reassess your time frame. A healthy and sustainable amount to lose is 1-1 1/2 pounds a week.

Also, the more often you lose weight and gain it back, the slower it will come off the next time around.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Some weeks, you will lose weight, some you will stay the same and others you might gain some! Overall, however if you stick to the programme you will only ever lose weight.

Don't focus so much on the number on the scale it can really get people down, or decrease your weigh ins to every fortnight or month.
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you're only 3 weeks into it, and you haven't lost in only 6 days, you are NOT plateauing (and you're also not 'putting on muscle and dropping fat at the same time").......its just that our muscles retain water when we start a new strength training routine such as you have.

This! While it's certainly possible that you're building muscle bit by bit (and therefore technically not losing weight, though strengthening yourself), chances are that it's just your body adapting to a new regimen... We put it through a certain kind of shock whenever we undertake a new physical challenge or sudden change in diet, and it needs time to regulate itself. You'll start to lose weight over time, you just have to hang in there!
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! this was helpful!
    I honestly hope that that's the key to my problem.