How long and when should?

Hey I started walking 3 weeks ago and started biking this week. My question is how long should I walk before starting to add in some jogging or running? My thing is I walk 1 mile and bike 3 miles a night for a total of about 32 mins. I guess my main thing is that I dont want my body to get used to what Im doing and stop my progress. So I was just wondering when I should start uping either the distance or speed or even the time that I am working out.

Replies

• nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    im no expert but I believe ive read that you should switch up your diet or exercise every 4-6 weeks to stop the body getting used to the routine....
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Forget about "switching up" - you're too new to this for your body to adapt in 4 to 6 weeks. But you should start increasing your level of activity.
    If a mile walk isn't strenuous any more, then up the distance or start jogging. Maybe walk 1/2 mile, jog 1/4 mile, walk 1/2 mile.
    Same thing with the bike riding - go faster or add more distance or - even better - bike some hills.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    On your nightly walks, run for a little. When you get winded or it gets hard, go back to walking until you've caught your breath. Then run some more.

This is how runners are made.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    thanks everyone. I guess I will start to add in a little jogging into my walk and see how I do.
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Forget about "switching up" -

wouldnt increasing time actually BE "switching it up" from what you were previously doing????? :indifferent:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Look into the C25K program, which is a run/walk program that gradually increases running until you can run 5K (3.1 miles) without stopping.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Look into the C25K program, which is a run/walk program that gradually increases running until you can run 5K (3.1 miles) without stopping.
    I've heard great things about it. If you have a smart phone it might be worth a look.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    If you are walking 30 minutes, starting with 30 seconds of jogging every once in a while...then progress. Slow and steady, you might feel like you can do more but just ease into the running, you don't want to injure yourself.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    If you are walking 30 minutes, starting with 30 seconds of jogging every once in a while...then progress. Slow and steady, you might feel like you can do more but just ease into the running, you don't want to injure yourself.

I'd agree with this too. Short bursts of jogging along with your walking will gradually increase your fitness without pushing you too hard too fast. Good luck
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    So I just got off the treadmill and stationary bike. I did my mile in 18.5 minutes 1.5 minutes faster then my best time in the 2.5 weeks that I have been walking. I added in 6 short runs then got on the exercise bike and did my 10 minute 3 mile ride.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    So I just got off the treadmill and stationary bike. I did my mile in 18.5 minutes 1.5 minutes faster then my best time in the 2.5 weeks that I have been walking. I added in 6 short runs then got on the exercise bike and did my 10 minute 3 mile ride.

While exercising on your stationary bike do Intervals. Start at level1 for two minutes, go up to level 2 for two minutes, go up to level 5 for one minute, drop it down to level 2 to recover for two minutes and back up to level 5 or higher for one minute. Do this for 15 minutes ending with level 1. Intervals will really help you burn calories. When at level 5 or higher really push and go as fast as you can and be a little bit uncomfortable, its only a minute and then you have two minutes to recover, before you push hard again.
    Good luck and keep up all the hard work it will pay off!