Tofu???

Options
:huh: i just decided to try tofu since i dont eat red meat and often dont each much chicken or fish either so i needed a protein alternative. But what do i do with it ( besides eat it of course) I hear its very bland so how do i make it taste good and is it high in calories?? If it is the cat is getting it :laugh:

Replies

• Hkauf12208
    Hkauf12208 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm interested as well.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Tofu is an unfermented soy product and unfermented soy is toxic. please avoid it.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    PRESS it then marinate it for a day then bake it. :)

here, this will help - http://happyherbivore.com/2012/04/what-are-types-tofu/
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    tofu is not toxic. you just have to cook it like every other protein.

you have to press it. set the block of tofu on a couple paper towels and put one on top too. then put something heavy-ish (but not too heavy) on top and let it sit there for an hour or too. Once it's dry it absorbs flavors better.

you can do this quickly with your hands too. and once it's pressed, marinades work wonders.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic and a lot of people hate it because they don't know how to cook it right. I am sorry, I don't have any experiece cooking it, but it is usually good in soups, and stir-frys. You want to cook it so that it "absorbs" the flavors of this dish you are cooking. I hope some others can help you more than me...
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I use the cook-do sauce- stir fry the tofu in it. it's a lil spicy but really tasty. Simple and fast
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get all the moisture out by pressing it with a paper towel.

Usually I pan fry it in olive oil, adding a tiny bit of corn starch to give it a nice crispy coat. Then I add in vegetables for a stir fry dish. YUM!
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Cut it in squares and bake it. Have it with other vegetables in peanut/satay sauce. That's pretty much an Indonesian dish called 'gado gado'.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Replace the meat in stir fry dishes with tofu. Otherwise, press it for a half hour to get the water out, get some teriyaki sauce (Soy Vay is a good brand) and some pineapple, marinate it for a bit, and bake it for 20 mins or so. It's tasty.

This is a great recipe too: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/04/19/crispy-garlic-and-ginger-tofu/

Tofu's not particularly high-cal, but the sauces can be if you don't watch how much you use, so be sure you measure everything =)

Oh marinating it and grilling it with veggies (think kebabs) is good too. It can be tricky because the tofu's soft and can break off of the skewer, but it gives it a great flavor.
  • twoaugustgirls
    twoaugustgirls Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do not eat red meat or really anything besides the occassional white fish anymore. I enjoy the soy based morning star products which uise soy and have great flovor. Boca burgers are great too. Also beans and quiona are great proteins as well. Take a look at my diary and see that I usually meet or exceed my protein without even using meat.:)
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use the soft kind in smoothies as a protein with fruit. It gives a thick, silky texture that feels naughty.
  • jfarnden
    Options
    You can grill it, fry it, season it. You can add it to soup.
    There's different kinds, some are harder than others, so if you can to fry it to go in salad or something get the firmer one.
    If you want to do soup and stuff i think the one they put in laksa is silken tofu which is more jiggly and less stay together.
    One of my friends is a vegan and he uses it to make fake cheese, its crazy but apparently tastes great.
    Heres a common recipe for pan-fried:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28805/pan+fried+tofu
    and one for a vegan ricotta:
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/sidevegetabledishes/r/tofuricotta.htm
    Just to give you ideas.
    There a whole bunch of awesome youtube videos on tofu.
    Here's one now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZikouwLEza4
    Theres also a vegan woman making a fish burger out of tofu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7olnvHYp_U
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cut it in squares and bake it. Have it with other vegetables in peanut/satay sauce. That's pretty much an Indonesian dish called 'gado gado'.

YUM!
  • UB2011
    UB2011 Posts: 15
    Options
    Tofu in its natural state is pretty much tasteless. It's porous, so it absorbs the flavors of whatever sauce you are cooking with. One thing that I make is a pseudo red beans and rice (pseudo because I use quinoa instead of rice because it is a better complex carb) with extra firm organic tofu (really it is called super firm -- it almost looks like a block of white cheese). While I am cooking the quinoa, I throw in the Cajun spices and tofu. That way the quinoa and the tofu absorbs the Cajun-ness.

There are a lot of varieties of tofu: soft (a.k.a. silk), medium, firm, extra firm, super firm and baked (has a brown or tan skin on it -- usually marinated before it's baked so it actually has a flavor). Not sure if this is all of the varieties, but it's a pretty good list at list.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    other good sources of protein include quinoa, hemp, nuts, beans, lentils....
    there is actually protein in everything we eat and there haven't been any cases in the developed countries of people becoming ill from too little protein (although there can be health concerns over too much)... so the worry that we aren't getting enough protein is really a myth. that being said, if you're still concerned about it and the above options don't sound appealing, you could also opt for a protein powder supplement such as sunwarrior .. it has 16 g per serving. (am not affiliated with them, just think their product is a great one.)

wishing you great success!
    ...scatter joy...
    lindy
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

you have to press it. set the block of tofu on a couple paper towels and put one on top too. then put something heavy-ish (but not too heavy) on top and let it sit there for an hour or too. Once it's dry it absorbs flavors better.

you can do this quickly with your hands too. and once it's pressed, marinades work wonders.

clearly you know NOTHING about soy. Tofu is unfermented, just like soymilk, soy meats, soy protein, etc. unfermented soy causes a ton of medical problems including breast cancer in men and women, endocrine disorders, fertility problems, etc.

don't talk about what you don't understand. do some research
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

that helps a lot thankyou!! i had no idea you had to press it i'd have just chopped it up :ohwell: i'll have to hunt out some decent marinade recipes now. :bigsmile:
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    there is actually protein in everything we eat and there haven't been any cases in the developed countries of people becoming ill from too little protein (although there can be health concerns over too much)... so the worry that we aren't getting enough protein is really a myth. that being said, if you're still concerned about it and the above options don't sound appealing, you could also opt for a protein powder supplement such as sunwarrior .. it has 16 g per serving. (am not affiliated with them, just think their product is a great one.)

...scatter joy...
    lindy

ooooh no thankyou Lindy. i do eat lentils, beans and nuts but ive never tried quinoa or hemp. Time to take a trip to the health food store i think!!
  • jfarnden
    Options

...scatter joy...
    lindy

ooooh no thankyou Lindy. i do eat lentils, beans and nuts but ive never tried quinoa or hemp. Time to take a trip to the health food store i think!!

I tried lentils but we're too impatient to soak them at our house, a friend of mine suggested picking up instant polenta from the markets as it takes heaps less time to cook and no soaking. I dont know what the difference is between it and normal soak it for days polenta but apparently it works heaps better for busy people.

Edit: You can also get semi instant seasoned quinoa at the supermarket too. Check your health food aisle.