BMI whats your opinion??

Options
2»

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    At some point, even the waist-to-height ratio becomes a more of a genetic issue than a health marker, especially in people who are several inches shorter or taller than average. And the belly button level is not everyone's natural waist. I think we should all just acknowledge the fact that health is personal, and using these cookie-cutter methods to determine who is healthy and who isn't causes more harm than good.

I work in the P&C area of insurance myself, so I understand the actuarial concepts, but if my doctor says I'm healthy, then I don't see any reason why my insurance company's actuaries should be able to arbitrarily suggest that I am not.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every fit male but running fanatics are overweight by BMI.
  • ctperdant
    Options
    We in the actuarial field (I'm on the P&C side, but I've spoken with those on the health side) understand that weight and BMI numbers are very misleading. That's why they are going to be switching to a new measure of health which is your Waist to Height ratio. The reason is that a BMI number may become irrelevant is when dealing with those that lift weights and carry a decent amount of muscle on their frame.

This looks very useful

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-to-height_ratio), Barbie has a WHR of 0.25. But I don't think that's ideal!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's useful for population studies but not as a measure for health for everyone. My BMI is only 16.6 but I'm definitely healthy, I just have a small frame. Now take Andreas Münzer who had a BMI of 37.3 but was only about 2% body fat. Would you consider this man to be "obese"?

1efb8ada4e764ef4437a66c35d858418_zpsdb8b7fe2.jpg
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    At some point, even the waist-to-height ratio becomes a more of a genetic issue than a health marker, especially in people who are several inches shorter or taller than average. And the belly button level is not everyone's natural waist. I think we should all just acknowledge the fact that health is personal, and using these cookie-cutter methods to determine who is healthy and who isn't causes more harm than good.

I work in the P&C area of insurance myself, so I understand the actuarial concepts, but if my doctor says I'm healthy, then I don't see any reason why my insurance company's actuaries should be able to arbitrarily suggest that I am not.

JQ, I agree with you. BMI, or other metrics such as Waist to Height ratios are not the end all be all to determining health. I was just pointing out, that as a starting point, the BMI measurement that is currently used is not reliable and that the waist to height ratio is a better STARTING tool to measuring health. You made an excellent point. I certainly did not want to imply that the waist to height ratio should be the only measurement of health. The OP's question was whether the BMI measurement is a good starting point for measuring health. You and I agree that it isn't.
  • jessfresh78
    jessfresh78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think its too accurate, I'm a size 12 and my BMI is healthy but my body fat % is actually really high, so I go by that rather than the BMI - not getting that down is what's going to impact my health the most