How do I increase calorie burn?

Options
How do people burn 3000+ calories a day? How to they burn even 2000? Typically I do my treadmill (which I have increase pace) in the morning and then either bike or elliptical in gym in afternoon. Total workout time is typically 75-90 minutes and my calorie burn is still only around 500. I need to burn more than this but the idea of 90 minutes or more spent working out daily indefinitely doesn't seem very realistic. I'm not even at my 1/2 way point and at this rate it kind of seems like I will need to commit even more time to working out. What about hubby, home, full time job, etc?

I will admit that 90% of my working out is cardio. I have just this week started adding weights.

Any ideas?

Replies

• sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Honestly I can't figure it out either. I have a lot to lose which means I have a higher calorie burn count for everything I do and I certainly can't get it that high. 600 is about my max before I'm ready to throw in the towel!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't know who burns that many calories - very few on my friends list burn over 1000 on a regular basis, and they tend to be distance runners or cyclists.

As you said, spending that much time in order to get that big a burn isn't really practical for a busy wife, mom, career gal who has a life to live beyond exercise!

Why do you feel you need to burn more? Burning more means more time in the gym, and that you will need to eat more to fuel your body and those workouts - a lot more. You don't want negative net calories for the day, do you really want to have to eat 3000 calories just to break even? Not to mention the problems you can end up with from over training and under eating. :tongue:

Can't see your diary, so no idea what your daily goal is or what sort of foods you're eating. You have lost 42lbs so far - congrats! But the weight/fat will come off with proper diet and lower calorie burn, and without you having to spend so much time exercising...
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I only know bodybuilders and such that burn like crazy. The more muscle you have the more calories burned. Lifting heavy weights burns more overall than cardio thanks to the afterburn. You stop burning calories through cardio soon after you stop the exercise. When you lift you can continue to burn 24-48 hrs after. 500 calories is still a good amount to burn in one day for an average person though, especially if you aren't eating back any of those calories.
    If you really want to change your body lift heavy weights & do less reps. I've learned in recent months that being a cardio bunny just doesn't cut it. It's the heavy weights that do it!
  • jwmd123
    jwmd123 Posts: 10
    Options
    On certain days I can burn up to 1,000 calories but to get to that I do 35-40 minutes swimming in the morning, a 20-25 minute walk at lunchtime (nice leisure walk - about 2.5km) and a run in the evening of about 3.75km.

No way could I do any more than that!!!
  • NicolesMinion
    Options
    One of the best ways to increase your calorie burn in a shorter period of time is Interval Training. It is also a great way to improve your cardiovascular strength. What I do is start at 20% incline at about 1.9 to 2.0 mph for 4 to 5 minutes, my heart rate goes up to around 160 bpm, then I drop to 5% and allow myself to recover to 130 bpm (about 2 to 3 min). Then back up again. Continue to cycle this way until you get 20 to 40 minutes totoal in at the high intensity/high hr. You will be surprised how quickly you will get your cardio capability up and at the calories you will burn in less time. People that burn 1000 calories or more must be tri-athletes.

If you want to do intervals at a run you can do it too. You can get that accomplished by a combination of speed and incline (not 20% though). Regardless of how you do it, intervals means getting your heart rate up very high (I go over my maxium recommended for my age which is 143bpm) for a period of time and then allow recovery, and continue to cycle this throughout. It isn't easy but it is worth it to jump start your metabolism if you have hit a slowdown in wt loss.

Looks like you are doing great. Congrats!! Keep it up. I have just started trying to get back to the athletic body I once had. I hope I do as well as you have!!
  • IStop4Stamps
    IStop4Stamps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you would have to burn more than 500 a day. That's actually a GREAT number especially if you work out at least 3 times a week. Work outs are most efficient if you complement them with good balance in Carbs, Protein and Fat intake though....so as you know, an imbalance on the food side can slow weight loss even if you were burning more. Here are the exercises that I do that burn a bit more than that:

1. Step Class - Step Arobics is an oldy but a goody IMO. It will burn at least 600 an hour as long as you keep moving and you do the moves and steps with precision. Stepping all the way up (no hanging heals) and all the way down, and standing up tall. The faster the pace, the better the burn - as long as you never sacrifice form.

2. Elliptical Traininer - Internal Level, I watch the screen which let me know about my stride, pace and calories per minutes. I try to keep my pace above 98, incline >2, and resistance >5. This burns about 700 calories an hour - but it's hard. You'll have to work up to that, and can probably exceed that even. Some people use the elliptical trainer like a walking machine, that lowers the calories per hour - you want to push yourself to get the most out of 30 minutes. 30 minutes at mid- to max- heart rate - will burn what you want.

3. Circuit Training - Circuit Training is a great way to keep the heart rate up, move through various muscles in the body, and if done regularly enough - prevent plateaus for me. The key here again is really PUSH yourself for 30 minutes at a time. Good trainers will educate you on how to set your movement goals - resting at what is equal to a level 3 (for yourself) then pushing to where you can't talk for long (level 7 +). Really try hard to follow direction, pushing past what you think you can do.

30 minute sessions are doable for most busy moms - however you have to maximize the 30 minutes - and they need to be every day so you end up with 3 1/2 - 4 hours per week. And eating right matters so much more when your exercise time is limited.

Ability to burn calories can also be impacted by not getting enough carbs in your diet. Low carb diets can leave you too tired to do the burn - so balance the carbs better if you have eliminated or lowered them significantly. Carbs will help you to have the energy you need to work out - but should be avoided late at night - and several hours before bed.

Hope this helps you, but as I said - YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!

Audrie
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Almost no one will burn such amounts exept pro's that workout all day.

500 is enough per day, although a little low for 90 min, i burn around 900 a day with 2 workouts, 1 of 20 min and 1 of 30/45 min
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I can burn as high as 675 in the 80 minute advanced extreme shed and shred and another 325 doing 45 minutes of zumba. I have only combined both in one day once and am not that interested in doing both in same day as regular workouts. My plan for now is the 80 minute workout 6 days a week and the zumba once a week on the off day.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered about this, too. I checked your profile and we are about the same age. The highest I've ever had on my HRM was from a 4 hour golf game pulling my clubs on a very hilly course and playing with a friend who doesn't know how to walk (she pretty much runs...lol). Generally, I do about 220 calories at about 130 beats/min in 30 minutes on the elliptical. I'm trying to use intervals to get my heart rate a little higher and see how much I can increase the burn that way.
    I'll be interested to see what others have to say about this.
  • macaya5
    macaya5 Posts: 75
    Options
    500 calories a day seems reasonable but I get wanting to burn more. Am looking into getting a heart rate monitor to help make sure I'm hitting and maintaining my fat burning heart rate. I use the elliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, swim and walk for cardio. I started using weight machines and free weights about two weeks ago, as well.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Try sleeping on a moving treadmill. You'll burn 2500 calories before you even wake up!
  • teabag17
    teabag17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1500 calories but I'm a master swimmer who swims 120 min sessions & I weight more than others. This only happens once a week otherwise I burn 1000 on 3 days in the water and about 400 with 45 land activities.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    all very helpful suggestions.....Thanks!
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I routinely burn over 1000 calories a day. I wake up super early to hit the gym before work and use the elliptical for 40 minutes. After work I usually take a class (step, Kettlebell, bootcamp, HIIT) or take my son swimming or both. MFP tends to estimate high on the calorie burns they assign so I take the number with a grain of salt.
    Health is a priority so I make time for it. I still keep my house spotless, cook dinner every night, spend plenty of time with my family and participate is a lot of social/charitable endeavors. I can only continue to do those things if I'm healthy so I make time for me. When I felt guilty about gym time I gained over 100 pounds because I felt obligated to spend every free second with my infant. I was depressed and isolated. Now my very independant little boy does not need me as much(or a much as I beleived he did which I'm sure I way overestimated) and I am free to workout at least an hour each evening while he plays with his friends in the gym childcare room. His love of swimming also motivates me to swim at least 3 or 4 times a week.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Doing insanity I can burn up to 600+ calories in an hour. Add in a brisk walk with my dog that burns another 300 calories and I've got 900 calories burned in a day. It's not hard to do you just have to push harder and make sure your heart rate is in the zone you chose for a sustained amount of time.
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also, I replaced my easy chair with an exercise bike. So I ride it while watching TV! Best decision I ever made. I watch less TV and when I do watch at least I'm being productive.
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    I was recently able to increase my calorie burn at the gym (which is important since I have a desk job):

I think it is key to get a heart monitor. I used to say "why do I need this if I know how much I am doing form cardio) WRONG! First off the machine is wrong 99% of the time with cals burned and 2) I burn so much while lifting weights.

The other way I increase calorie burn is limit the rest between sets. I see people that do weights and between sets they chill out and sit. i try to always be active either doing a set of something else or decrease my rest time. This way I am getting "extra cardio" in a sense. This is key when I don't have much time to do cardio.

While doing cardio (which I discovered due to my heart monitor) I tend to move my arms a lot and not touch the rail (I imagine Jillian Michaels yelling at be for touching her machines) and this also increases it a little (not much maybe 40 more calories in 10 minutes).

Overall, its just about staying more active (either in the gym or at home or work) Hope that helped and good luck!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I need to work out for 2 hours to get 1000+ calories burnt, and frankly... it neither feels good to do that on a regular basis, nor do I get the results I want from it.

I once burned 701 calories in a 60 min kickboxing class, but I had a friend with me for motivation. I also wanted to die for about 20 minutes afterwards.

I find my body responds very well to workouts that last about an hour, 4-5 times a week. Anything more seems a bit counterproductive.

Find whatever works for you :)
  • FLBachatera
    Options
    I dance salsa and work out, so when I am in hard core training mode and dancing 4 hours a day, or more, I can easily burn a TON of calories. It's not unheard of for me to go to a Salsa convention and lose 6 lbs in 3-4 days. 8+ hours of dancing a day.

Try doing a few different strategies, a workout in the am, and a dance class at night or swim (swimming torches calories) and you can hit higher numbers.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    To increase burn on the treadmill increase the incline. I do mine at 9 to 15 you can burn 600-800 in an hour.