Liver and whole body cleanse?

Options
Anybody have any experience with a liver and body detox? My chiropractor has reccommended one for me. Over the past decade, I have taken a lot of medicine for depression, anxiety, insomnia, digestive issues, female issues (I had a total hysterectomy in 2004) and allergies (since was a child). My husband and I have been through a lot (two affairs, three kids, his permanent disability, financial woes...). We have finally gotten the right help (a great psychologist and a new church/church family). I am off the insomnia medicine and anxiety medicine. The next one I am weaning off of is the antidepressant, and then possibly the estrogen.

Towards th end of November, I started a health and fitness plan...joined a gym, started eating healthy and have lost ten pounds so far. I am having far less digestive problems and taking the estrogen every other month instead of every month.

The survey I took said that I have liver, gall bladder and female imbalance (which I already knew about). I bought this 21 day meal supplement and am eliminating glutens, dairy, sugar, pork and red meat and certain other things from my diet for the next 21 days as well. After the 21 days are up, I get to slowly add healthy things back into my diet.

The problem I am having is, I am already a picky eater (not as picky as my family) and am having problems finding healthy things to eat. (I was already eating whole wheat, ground turkey, fish, low surgar, frozen yogurt, fruits and nuts, high fiber, low sodium...)

This is not a 21 day restricted calorie diet...just a cleansing diet. The powder I took this morning has a bitter aftertaste that could not be killed with 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries,2 TBS of vanilla pudding mix.

I can't see drinking this stuff two times a day for 21 days and I can't see throwing away $60.

any suggestions?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You do not need a cleanse. Your body cleanses everything that you need to cleanse out. Well except your skin. You should cleanse that daily.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanses itself just fine.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    The body is capable of detoxing itself. The only detox I ever is fasting. After 12 hours your liver will be depleted of glycogen and after about 3-5 days your muscles will be depleted as well. I'm currently about 62 hours into a fast and (TMI) I just took a nice poop lol. I'll end my fast by eating dinner tonight but occasional fasts are good for your body. Look into intermittent fasting. Normally I fast for 20 hours every day and eat for four hours at night.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You wasted the 60 bucks and there is nothing wrong with eating most of the things you are excluding as long you do so in moderation. For instance you are excluding dairy but you can eat frozen yogurt? Or you can eat ground turkey and not pork or beef?

You body will cleanse itself.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Talk to a real doctor, not a chiropractor.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm in medical school and we just had a panel of registered dietitians talk to us---and they said cleanses are bogus. As most people are saying, your body has mechanisms for cleansing itself. So save your money and time!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't take nutrition advice from a Chiro. I'll bet he/she sold you that stuff, too.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    They are right, most "cleansing" things are a lot of hype but if your looking for something to cut the taste of your powder, try peanut utter (all natural or freshly grounded if need be for ur cleanse) and I find that helps. I use it with my protein shakes.
  • angdpowers
    Options
    Normally I fast for 20 hours every day and eat for four hours at night.

Really? Holy smokes! Whhhhhhy?
  • traceyt83
    traceyt83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like the homeopathic ways for helping our bodies and I feel a great one for the liver is Milk Thistle. Take a look at the link below or just Google Milk Thistle to get more information. I use the Liquid extract so you just add a dropper full to a little water or I put it straight under my tong, I don't mind the taste at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

I do 20/4 intermittent fasting (IF). The main reason is because I find it easy to not eat during the day (especially since after a week or two of eating like this your hormones adjust so that your ghrelin doesn't spike during the day) and I get to eat a nice big dinner. I just sort of graze for four hours. The other major reason is to be able to gain muscle while losing fat which is normally almost impossible. I've gained 1/2" on my upper arms and 1" on my thighs while losing weight. The added bonuses are the health benefits like increased lifespan, increased insulin sensitivity, slower aging, etc.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Talk to a real doctor, not a chiropractor.

^This. Most real doctors shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice and a chiropractor sure as he** shouldn't be.
  • angdpowers
    Options

I do 20/4 intermittent fasting (IF). The main reason is because I find it easy to not eat during the day (especially since after a week or two of eating like this your hormones adjust so that your ghrelin doesn't spike during the day) and I get to eat a nice big dinner. I just sort of graze for four hours. The other major reason is to be able to gain muscle while losing fat which is normally almost impossible. I've gained 1/2" on my upper arms and 1" on my thighs while losing weight. The added bonuses are the health benefits like increased lifespan, increased insulin sensitivity, slower aging, etc.

Interesting -- to each their own! :)
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    In the past couple months, I switched from low fat ground beef to low fat gound turkey. I don't like yogurt, but I like low fat, low sugar frozen yogurt. The 21 day diet requires me to eliminate all red meat and pork. I can still eat fish, turkey and chicken. Frozen yogurt is dairy, so that has to go.

I don't have arthritis in my shoulders or knees (doctor cleared them a while ago. So I am wondering if my body's supply of natural anti-inflamitory is off whack because of a food allergy or sensitivity?

I have heard and read that colon cleanses were bogus. This is not a colon cleanse. The powder is more along the line of a meal replacment shake mix that has low sugar and no glutens in it. It has a lot of additional vitamins and minerals with herbs too.
  • ritajons71
    Options
    Simple Ways to Lose Weight and Have More Energy

I want to provide you with some great
    information and recommendations as to what has
    worked for me and, what I know will work for you
    too.

So on that note, today I’m going to share 2
    simple strategies that will help you start
    “cleansing” your body naturally and safely. If
    you’re looking to lose weight, look better, feel
    better, and finally enjoy amazing health, then
    these 2 strategies will work like gangbusters for
    you.

As with most of my health improvements, this
    advice was given to me by my trusted
    health-advisor and friend, Yuri Elkaim from
    http://bit.ly/Y5weFW.

All right, here we go!

Cleansing Strategy #1 – Say “Bye-Bye” to Sugar

This one isn’t rocket science but I can tell you
    that if there’s just one thing you could do to
    lose weight and significantly improve your health
    it would be to reduce your sugar intake.

The biggest reason for this is that sugar is
    acid-forming in the body. When your diet is
    loaded with sugar foods, your blood literally
    transforms into a wasteland. Bacteria begin to
    proliferate and you upset the delicate balance of
    good to bad bacteria in your colon.

Sugar = acid.

Ever hear “experts” tell you that cholesterol and
    saturated fats are bad for your heart and
    arteries?

Well that’s nonsense!!!

The vast majority of cardiovascular problems stem
    from acidic foods like sugar damaging your
    arterial walls. Your body then lays down
    cholesterol to “heal” the wound just like it
    would if you cut your skin.

But nobody tells you that sugar, alcohol,
    smoking, and other forms of free radicals are the
    real culprit here! In fact, I didn’t even know
    this until Yuri let me in on the truth.

And let’s not even begin to talk about how sugar
    affects your waistline. It’s almost a cause and
    effect relationship.

So starting today, you’ll want to look at how
    much sugar is coming into your body and then
    making a concerted effort to minimize it.

Here are some common sources of “bad” sugar that
    you’ll want to avoid:

- soda pop - sauces - candy - cookies and
    pastries - chocolate - table sugar - alcohol
    (yes, it is a sugar)

Shall I continue?

I think you get the point. When we talk about
    creating a superhuman body we’re not just talking
    about weight loss. We’re talking about being
    healthy from the inside out.

Start by reducing your sugar intake and your life
    will change!